Pontiac G8 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
that sounds like a pretty good plan to me wish i had the cash for that:D
Yeah, at least it's a lot cheaper than the OZ kit mentioned by the OP and should produce a lot more HP at the same time.

·
Registered
223 Posts
So here's my plan:

1. You can buy tuner software from HPTuners, our car is listed on their site as supported: http://www.hptuners.com/products/vcmsuite_vehicles.php - this is not a tune, but software that allows you to modify any of your settings, thus creating a custom tune.

2. You can buy turbos from a number of places, I am looking at one (or two) of these: http://www.turboneticsinc.com/t3-t4b_turbochargers

3. I'll take the tuning software and turbos to a local speed shop that has a dyno and have them plumb the turbos and tune my car. (I figure total cost will be about 5k and can reach well over 400 HP with the turbos).

4. I'll probably blow up my transmission within a week or two so I'll need to have the trans beefed up at a local trans shop - dunno how much that'll cost.

So that's my plan. I don't plan on doing any of this for another year or two because I don't want to void the powertrain warranty until I know I'll have the extra cash to fix it myself - so for now it'll be interior upgrades and exterior looks.
One problem with your plan, HP Tuners doesn't support the G8 V6 yet. :whine:
http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25619&highlight=g8

·
Registered
167 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
I wonder if it is really worth spending over $7000 (with shipping) to have something that will KEEP UP with a GT? Why not just get the GT to start with, it would be the same price and your warranty would still be intact.
Or trade the V6 for a GT?

This thread is silly.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Seeing that they cracked the factory ecu on the V6 and i can see this being done more easily now. Even going with bigger injectors too.
"They" who? More details needed. I've seen a few posts of claims but no proof yet.

·
Addicted
903 Posts
I've never been a V-6 basher. I guess they have their purpose in the G8 world, but this one I just can't wrap my head around...

How much would an L76 cost? Then you'd be atleast on a platform to add more than the proposed 368 hp. At that point we're talking expensive mods to push past 368 hp, right? Your car would still be a V-6 for insurance purposes, I believe. (atleast that was the case when my blazer magically went from a V-6 4.3L to a Chevy 350cc)
I'd imagine it'd hold it's value better as a V-8 G8 versus a supercharged V-6 G8.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
how much does an LSx crate engine cost????????????????

I mean $5,6,7000 for a FI setup to get CRANK GT HP!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's a waste of money, not IMO, I mean...that's a waste of money.

You could buy an LS2 and throw it in there for less than that,....I mean come on!!!!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Do a Google search for trifecta tuning. They have a tune out for our V6's.
No offense but that is all we get "do a search for Trifecta". I know they aren't a sponsor here and can't come here bragging but maybe they should become a sponsor since there is a pent up demand for their services and they might actually sell some tunes. I'm tired of all the cloak and dagger, secret handshake BS that has gone on with this "top secret v6 tune".

Tell them, there are people here who will most likely purchase their service IF they can back it up. (dyno, testimonials etc.).

If they are relying solely on their website to sell $400 tunes without any hard evidence of the results, well then old P.T Barnum may have been right.

·
Service Tech Approved!
532 Posts
When I bought my G8 I knew I had to have the v8, I couldn't afford a GXP, so I settled for a GT. The same thing here. I can't bash anybody for driving the V6 version of the G8. Its a great car. But to those asking about trading up at this point have they forgotten how hard it is to find a G8 now. Especially most new G8's have been sold at a discount by GM, the used car market will be flooded with speculators asking for the moon for these cars now. I still think that anybody that was lucky enough to get this car while it lasted (in all trim levels) should feel like they have something special. And if that person wants more performance out of it, then they should be encouraged to do so. I for one don't believe in buying a lower level of car then "tune" it. I believe that you should spend the money in the first place to buy a nicer car with the performance you wanted anyways. As cool as it sounds to have a supercharged G8, I am completely happy with the performance levels the G8 GT has. In fact, I would bet that most people who take them to the track are either running them in the "test and tune" or bracket racing. And you don't have to have a fast car for bracket racing, just a consistent one.

·
G8 GT GUY
745 Posts
No offense but that is all we get "do a search for Trifecta". I know they aren't a sponsor here and can't come here bragging but maybe they should become a sponsor since there is a pent up demand for their services and they might actually sell some tunes. I'm tired of all the cloak and dagger, secret handshake BS that has gone on with this "top secret v6 tune".

Tell them, there are people here who will most likely purchase their service IF they can back it up. (dyno, testimonials etc.).

If they are relying solely on their website to sell $400 tunes without any hard evidence of the results, well then old P.T Barnum may have been right.

There are "other" popular G8 boards where these rules do not exist.

·
Registered
88 Posts
My Vortech V2 SC only cost me 600 dollars.. If anyone knows where I can upgrade to a GT for less please let me know, otherwise STFU. I'm so tired of reading posts saying "just upgrade to GT".

·
Registered
167 Posts
My Vortech V2 SC only cost me 600 dollars.. If anyone knows where I can upgrade to a GT for less please let me know, otherwise STFU. I'm so tired of reading posts saying "just upgrade to GT".
So you bought the SC, do you have a plan for getting it installed? Is there a way to do this w/o needing a tune. If so, I'll be doing the same thing you are.

·
Black & Silver
474 Posts
So you bought the SC, do you have a plan for getting it installed? Is there a way to do this w/o needing a tune. If so, I'll be doing the same thing you are.
I would also like to know the answer to this.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Well said Ox i sound the gavel on that one:judge:

When I bought my G8 I knew I had to have the v8, I couldn't afford a GXP, so I settled for a GT. The same thing here. I can't bash anybody for driving the V6 version of the G8. Its a great car. But to those asking about trading up at this point have they forgotten how hard it is to find a G8 now. Especially most new G8's have been sold at a discount by GM, the used car market will be flooded with speculators asking for the moon for these cars now. I still think that anybody that was lucky enough to get this car while it lasted (in all trim levels) should feel like they have something special. And if that person wants more performance out of it, then they should be encouraged to do so. I for one don't believe in buying a lower level of car then "tune" it. I believe that you should spend the money in the first place to buy a nicer car with the performance you wanted anyways. As cool as it sounds to have a supercharged G8, I am completely happy with the performance levels the G8 GT has. In fact, I would bet that most people who take them to the track are either running them in the "test and tune" or bracket racing. And you don't have to have a fast car for bracket racing, just a consistent one.

·
Even Conan drives a G8 !
919 Posts

Thats awesome you got the SC. Please keep us posted on your results and experience. :driving:

21 - 40 of 67 Posts