Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the PO cut into the hood insulation for a Spectre CAI. Got rid of the Spectre because too much chrome and ugly welds. Now hood insulation looks out of place all cut up.

Put some tape over the frayed ends to clean it up a bit but still looks kinda crappy. Anybody got any ideas, short of removing it?

I really don't like how the naked hood looks.

Bought some "door guard" trim strips I might try to run along the edge of the insulation but I'll need to strip the glue out of it first. That's gonna be a PITA.

Are there any aftermarket companies still making replacement hood liners?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've only seen that irs discontinued. Any way you can source this for me? A link or location/P/N?

Thanks GOPHERIT you've been a big help in tve past!

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
Its confusing to me, but I had luck typing in *onlinegmparts.com* and followed the info trail on their page. It got me to the hood insulator from them (which they seem to show as available) for about $48 plus shipping. Don't exactly know where they are, or where you are, but to me that shipping was going to be $17. The P/N is 92253505. There must be other sources, that also have this part available (when using that P/N). An they might even have a better out the door pricing. If you've got the time, do some surfing on the computer. You might end up with a better deal. It appears to be up to date information on this part, but it might be dated info an no longer available from anybody. If you can secure the part, be sure to post a followup. There may be others that could use one of these.

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
Just remove it until you run across another.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its confusing to me, but I had luck typing in *onlinegmparts.com* and followed the info trail on their page. It got me to the hood insulator from them (which they seem to show as available) for about $48 plus shipping. Don't exactly know where they are, or where you are, but to me that shipping was going to be $17. The P/N is 92253505. There must be other sources, that also have this part available (when using that P/N). An they might even have a better out the door pricing. If you've got the time, do some surfing on the computer. You might end up with a better deal. It appears to be up to date information on this part, but it might be dated info an no longer available from anybody. If you can secure the part, be sure to post a followup. There may be others that could use one of these.

Called them and confirmed the part is discontinued. Thanks for all your effort though!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just remove it until you run across another.

I thought about that but god knows how hard it would come by the find replacement clips/retainers for a discontinued part...

Also it looks like the insulation sits under the hood scoops so that might be more pain than its worth to remove right now.

I have a possible solution though and will get back the board about it ASAP .

Thanks bud

·
Registered
1,275 Posts

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Just called them. Talked to Rob. Told me they were discontinued. How long ago did you order it?

J.
Like 4 days ago, email confirmation said it will take a few days processing. Maybe I'll get an email that says its discontinued.... I'll let you know.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
i went through trying to get one back in april when the body shop put my old damaged one back on , tried every where in the US to get one , and couldnt

i managed to get one imported from AU , the bad while the part is under 100.00 , shipping was over 4times that amount just to get it into the US , plus the cost of the push pins that hold it in , weight isnt the problem its the box size is considered oversize

i got mine through holden parts , he said he can bring in some more , but keep in mind the shipping cost , and the more interested the better spread out the shipping can be

·
Registered
1 Posts
I purchased one last year by calling a local dealership who referred me to another after about 10 times of that happening I was connected to a dealership in Michigan who shipped me one for $75. I will try to find the name of the place.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Something to keep in mind, thanks so much for the input. The thought had just occurred to.me yesterday to consider calling Austraila. Ouch on the shipping.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I purchased one last year by calling a local dealership who referred me to another after about 10 times of that happening I was connected to a dealership in Michigan who shipped me one for $75. I will try to find the name of the place.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

That would be fantastic, but my immediate suspicions would be that they're selling off discontinued stock and you got wonderfully lucky. Let's hope that's not the case!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
"I got mine through holden parts , he said he can bring in some more , but keep in mind the shipping cost , and the more interested the better spread out the shipping can be"[/QUOTE]

I would honestly consider taking up a PayPal collection for those interested; if we could get four people that would get it down reasonably enough I'd say.. under 200 maybe.. and a trash bag full of retainer clips !! :joy::joy:

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
So the PO cut into the hood insulation for a Spectre CAI. Got rid of the Spectre because too much chrome and ugly welds. Now hood insulation looks out of place all cut up.

Put some tape over the frayed ends to clean it up a bit but still looks kinda crappy. Anybody got any ideas, short of removing it?

I really don't like how the naked hood looks.

Bought some "door guard" trim strips I might try to run along the edge of the insulation but I'll need to strip the glue out of it first. That's gonna be a PITA.

Are there any aftermarket companies still making replacement hood liners?
I have the spectre CAI & I did not have to cut any insulation. I ended up putting the K & N filter on my spectre intake. Not sure how much difference it makes but the filter fits. My chrome looks okay on my setup. The insulation will not make much of a difference anyways.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I ripped mine out. The hood looks fine, just had a lot of dome shaped indents in it.
you mean the nasty looking egg crate dimples , lol

1 - 20 of 28 Posts