Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got my hood back from a body shop after they respray the hood. The grille insert mesh on the hood used to be very dark. Now they are almost a silver stainless color. I can't figure out for the life of me how this happened. Is the stock mesh supposed to be silver and then maybe got dark and tarnished over the years? I'm thinking maybe they cleaned that area and brought it back to life. Anyways, I don't like the new look of the lighter metal versus the darker mesh look. Answers?

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Yeah, definitely paint. They are supposed to be the same color as all of the rest of the grilles...not silver.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Since it does not look like primer or metallic flake paint, now I am thinking that when he stripped the hood paint, perhaps he strip the color off the mesh via chemical.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Solved

Problem solved, he inserted the scoop mesh inserts backwards and install them on the wrong sides of the hood. Also I had to take the hood back to him and he has to redo the entire job. Turns out there was some primer bleed through in the paint. This is even though he used 6 coats of paint and a 10-year clear coat. It sucks because the paint job was beautiful but in the right light in low light conditions you can see what looks like ghosting. This is the paint job he gave me on the hood for $400. The dude definitely was not happy to have to redo this work Here is a photo of the inserts I was worried about... Unfinished metal ..

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
i had a 1996 camaro that had the front end painted after someone hit me. They put the the bowtie on upside down. When i took it back to have them fix it (and fix something else they didn't do right) he couldn't see how it was upside down. He was so confused. AT THE CHEVY DEALER's Body Shop!

So when i can back to pick it up the 2nd time, he left it off and had me tell him how to put it on (or had me do it myself, i can't remember).

You'd think these people would pay a little more attention -- especially when the customer is obviously a "car" person that is going to notice these things.

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
Not surprised.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have found that G8 owners are a very very particular crowd. The majority are very detail-oriented. I think the problem lies in the helpers at The Body Shop. They usually do the grunt work.

I recorded the whole conversation with my cell phone incognito. Because I know how often these things end up going to small claims court. He tried to make me feel guilty about all the time and all the expense he had into this job. Basically telling me that he's actually losing money on the job at this point. I told him that I am driving around with a car for 5 days plus an additional however long it takes him this time, with no hood on my car. If it rains I can't drive. So I guess we all take our losses somehow!

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
I would of told him.thats what happens when you dont do the job right the first time. The body shop I went to guarantees their work for life. I had to go back 5 times and they still didn't get it completely right. But I said f it because they were almost making things worse. Its labor of love to get it 100% right and its not easy. I get that. But if you dont have to look hard to see issues. Then they should redo the work.

·
Premium Member
4,653 Posts
:surprise: Hopefully, this time around all issues will be resolved.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts