Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've referenced the hood in other threads, but the attached image is the one in question.

Normally the logic is to use pins on a fiberglass aftermarket hood. This particular hood uses the stock latch, and also the stock release lever and all stock hardware. The vents would seem to relieve internal pressure in the engine bay.

Pin it?

I really don't want it to fly open, but it seems like the latch and lever release to actually pop it would be sufficient.

Or are there other safety mechanisms that don't require potentially tacky pins or "Aero Latches?"

Attachments

·
Registered
588 Posts
I didn't pin my cf hood, but I planned on it. Never had any trouble with the stock latch.
I did take a short piece of stainless cable and make a short safety cable as a backup, just in case it let go. It allows the hood to open about 4 inches, then you unclip the cable.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't pin my cf hood, but I planned on it. Never had any trouble with the stock latch.
I did take a short piece of stainless cable and make a short safety cable as a backup, just in case it let go. It allows the hood to open about 4 inches, then you unclip the cable.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
I was thinking of something like that myself. Where did you hook your cables to, and what kind of clips did you use to secure?

·
CCG8 Member
1,599 Posts
If you can mount the safety latch to it along with the hood latch you should be fine. I know someone who got their cowl hood and there was no way to hook the safety latch, maybe they've added it since then.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think the original cowl hood may not have had those pieces. The new cowl hood does indeed have both.

I'll look at the old style cowl hood when I get home for curiosity's sake.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts