Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2009 Pontiac G8 GT with mild head and cam build (Livernois 1C cam with GMPP LS3 CNC Heads), ARH 1-3/4" Long Tube Headers with catted ARH mid-pipe into Hooker Max Flow Mufflers (stainless polished with 2.5" in/out center/center).

I have tried most setups except for the expensive Corsa system. This sounds similar to a Corsa with headers, just a bit quieter. No rasp, NO DRONE and no annoying interior resonance. This is the ticket if you don't want straight pipe loud (i.e. Solo). Solo's with headers was just too much cowbell. These Hookers even sound better than GXP mufflers (which I had on before and have video of on my channel).

After 7 years, I have found the sound I was looking for without spending big for Corsa. Very happy with the sound and the car now. I may wish, at times, it was louder, but there are plenty of times I wished it wasn't as loud. These Hooker Max Flows are it. Not even as loud as Corsa exhausts, especially with long tubes. After just 24 hours and 4-5 hours seat time running errands today, I LOVE these mufflers.

P.S. Please DO NOT PM me about the GXP mufflers, they are NOT FOR SALE. Thank you!

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's an acceleration clip a friend took last night after the install. Low quality cell phone vid, sorry! I'll get something better in the near future.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
269 Posts
I really like the sound of those Max Flows, has a real great low tone. I had originally planned on getting some but I couldn't find them in stainless.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, you can't find them in stainless anymore. I actually bought these two years ago? Maybe 3 years ago? And they literally sat in my garage in the box on a shelf ever since. I finally found a reputable welder who knew what the heck they were doing and had them fabbed up. I think I paid less than $100 each for the mufflers, $80-100 for the set of tips, $20 for the flanges, and $200 for the fab work which included the stainless elbows and bolts and hangars. So yeah, less than $550? Not the cheapest setup, but it's done right and wasn't a Midas or Muffler Man hack job.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Makes me want to get these maxflows installed. They've been in the garage for 2 yrs.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Definitely not! It's a lot quieter than most expect. It's not loud and obnoxious. It's a little quieter than the GXP mufflers too! The sound is perfect. I had Solo J's on with the headers and they were obnoxiously loud. This is the axle back we should all have had all along unless you want jumbo jet decibel ear drum shattering loud.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
I've had Corsa for years now, and yours sounds very similar. I may try to get your set up on my wife's GT. Nice work.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cool. Just be aware that the stainless versions are no longer available. However, the Hooker SS304 mufflers are very similar and produce similar results, so look for those. Or just go with the aluminized Max Flows.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry, I meant VR304 stainless from Hooker is what you want if you want a stainless muffler. They don't have the mirror polish the Max Flows have either.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I'm in CA so I don't need stainless. Looks like they are cheap too, like 78 bucks from Summit. Looks like I'll be chopping up my Solo Axle back to make them......well maybe not I could just I'll use the tips and build the rest I think.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, Jpipes aren't necessary with these...

·
Registered
781 Posts
Yup, I have them and love them!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Buy the MaxFlow mufflers and have a shop custom build you an axleback with your old mufflers and/or new tips. That's essentially what I did to make a MaxFlow axleback, because Hooker stopped producing them for our cars.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Buy the MaxFlow mufflers and have a shop custom build you an axleback with your old mufflers and/or new tips. That's essentially what I did to make a MaxFlow axleback, because Hooker stopped producing them for our cars.
Hooker never made a bolt on solution for our cars. Everyone had to have them fabricated up.

Hooker still makes the Max Flows in Aluminized but not stainless. The Hooker VR304 is essentially the same muffler and is available in stainless.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts