Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive got about 37,000kms (about 23,000 miles) on my continental dws and one rotation.
my rear tires are just about shot (they have been on the rear since april, at the time of the tire rotation. i usually only rotate every few months NOT every oil change)

i drive almost entirely highway mileage, i dont drive like an idiot, i dont do burnouts and i dont do anything else that would destroy the tires prematurely (i cant afford to replace tires all the time!)

i went to inspect them and do a rotation and im finding that my DWS conti's are nearly slicks at this point on the rear.
i never let the pressures get above 40-42 even mid summer when its hot as all hell out and after a long highway drive. i always kept them at proper inflation. i just dont get it.

could it be bad struts? bad alignment? how is that possible? the pair that are on the front are nearly brand new looking.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Are you sure you are not under inflating the tires?

i.e. The pressure should be set when the tire is cold. You should not let air out as the tire warms up and the pressure increases.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i dont think so. i check the pressures when "cold" at the start of the day before the car has been driven. cold pressure is usually 37 front and 39 rear. on those super hot days and when its been ont he road for a long trip and i see the pressures reach 45ish i let a tiny bit out because it seems so high. i never let them get below 36f and 38r when cold.

could that be whats killing them? letting a bit out when the pressures get so high?

·
Registered
516 Posts
Well if you didn't get 50k put of them shouldn't you be able to get new ones since they have a 50k tread life. I just bought those last week for mine and I do do burnouts. You got me worried my friend

·
Registered
5,683 Posts
I asked a similer question to the manager of Just Tires where I got my set of tires from and he told me thats its in fact due to the rear tires being inflated to a higher presure then the fronts. He told me that if I think my car is bad I should look at the new pickup trucks as they'll go thru several sets of rear tires before they need any up front. His recomendation is to run all 4 at the same presure, I know its an unheard of concept all 4 tires that are the same size run the same presure? What is this madness?!?

·
Registered
681 Posts
I run 36/39 and I have even wear all around. Now, when I go in for an oil change, I do have them rotate them, so that is probably helping the wear to be even.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
I have the opposite problem. Mine get rotated once a year, and not run during the winter. They were even in March when I put them back on, but the fronts wore down real fast this summer. Dealer blames the alignment (which they did in Jan or Feb). I always keep the tires evenly inflated.

·
Registered
737 Posts
STOP BURNING OUT SO MUCH... i have that problem :) i know u said u dont do it ...thought id just say it though

·
You've got mail, YAAAAY!
1,951 Posts
Uh, I have 26k miles on my GT and I am on my 3rd set of tires. The OEM Bridgestones wore out @ 10k miles, and the 2nd set wore out at 20k. After having my LCAs replaced under warranty, the 3rd set still looks great with almost 7k miles on them. Have the car inspected, aligned and then see what happens. 23k isn't bad for a rear drive performance sedan.

·
Its Good To Be Tha King
9,064 Posts
Yeah, with lots of fun driving, I got around 23k out of my rear DWS's. Good thing the next pair was less than half price :) My Nitto Invos lasted that long, with much better traction, but no tread life warranty.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
ive got about 37,000kms (about 23,000 miles) on my continental dws and one rotation.
my rear tires are just about shot (they have been on the rear since april, at the time of the tire rotation. i usually only rotate every few months NOT every oil change)

i drive almost entirely highway mileage, i dont drive like an idiot, i dont do burnouts and i dont do anything else that would destroy the tires prematurely (i cant afford to replace tires all the time!)

i went to inspect them and do a rotation and im finding that my DWS conti's are nearly slicks at this point on the rear.
i never let the pressures get above 40-42 even mid summer when its hot as all hell out and after a long highway drive. i always kept them at proper inflation. i just dont get it.

could it be bad struts? bad alignment? how is that possible? the pair that are on the front are nearly brand new looking.
When did your 1 rotation happen? Just now @ 37K? If so then I can understand why they are worn out. They should be rotated every 10K km.

Also: Are you carrying a load all the time? Look in your Owners Manual for the correct tire pressure settings. Unless you're carrying a load, the tires should not be at 39 PSI cold in the rear.

Over inflation causes premature wear on the center of the tire. Under inflation causes equal amounts of wear on both outside edges of the tire. Bad alignment causes premature wear on one outside edge of the tire.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Mine fluctuate 5-6 psi between cold and running temperature, I have to fill up my tires constantly. I dont know how people ever keep steady pressures in their tires.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I got 50,000 miles out of my Bridgestones running 40psi in all four. Rotation every 12,000 early on. Once they started to show wear I stopped rotating them around 36,000. Figured it was better to be able to understeer than oversteer. The rears were slicks by the time I hit 50,000 and the alignment was completely off. Driving in the rain was dicey to say the least.

I just went with 4 Conti DWS and a fresh alignment. We'll see how well they hold up. The traction is awesome.

-Dennis-

·
Premium Member
2,191 Posts
STOP BURNING OUT SO MUCH... i have that problem :) i know u said u dont do it ...thought id just say it though
I second that, mine are so "tread lacking" that i can over power them easily if i shut off tract control and hammer it when turning it goes sideways... Only got 32k on mine, and factory ones at that.........

1 - 19 of 19 Posts