Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an '09 GT that has been smoked in. I had the car professionally detailed and the even used an ozone machine on it for about 9 hours. I even bought an interior "bomb" to try to remove the smell. It still has a smoke smell. I was told to try using white vinegar. If anyone has any experience effectively removing the smell please let me know.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Start Smoking u wont smell it. I have no other answer. Maybe Febrezze??

·
Registered
518 Posts
Check out drivepur. It uses titanium dioxide which is like ozone but better. It neutralizes everything whenever there is sunlight.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
febreze

·
Offshore Prositute
756 Posts
dryer sheets underneath you car seats.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
subscribed. You have tried what I'd recommend. Stupid question but did you shampoo everything? Floor mats ,carpet,seats if cloth , ( headliner steam cleaned ) and trunk shampooed before the ozone. Nine hours is generally good . Should have also ran the car while using a bomb to circulate through the ventilation system. I've done cars with the ozone machine that even after two or three times it didn't remove all the smell but helped. I've done the bomb thing on cars too and mostly with luck. So if you have a car that is bad and you find a way to remove all of it. Other then just airing it out over time ,let me/us know. Changing cabin filter may help a little. But overall the ozone is supposed to be your best bet . It kills the bacteria that is causing odor ,well supposed to.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I had the same problem. I also had the dealer i bought from do the ozone process, but with poor results. Here are the steps I took to--over time--nearly eliminate the odor:

1) change the cabin air filter!
2) buy this: smells begone odor neutralizing spray (available at ace hardware). It is an *unscented* carbon-laced spray that will absorb and reduce the tobacco smell. Apply frequently especially on hot days and near door and ceiling.
3) let your car air out with doors open on a breezy and sunny day. A cookie sheet of baking soda (with doors closed) in the backseat on a hot day might also help absorb the smell.

The key is to not just try and cover up the smell. You need to eliminate the source and evacuate or absorb all traces of what's left--and it will take time.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Agree , figure it will take time.

·
Registered
37 Posts
i bought mine 3 months ago and it had smoke smell as well. i took apart the interior, it was filthy with food stains anyways... removed all the seats and stuff and soaked everything in "scotchguard with oxy" stain and odor remover. it really did a good job removing stains, and immediately improved the smell. but there was still some smoke smell remaining. then i just parked it with the windows down a lot. after a month it was fine.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah everything has been shampooed. I also changed the cabin filter. Right now my car is sitting in the garage totally closed up with open containers of vinegar, open containers of coffee grounds, and an open bag of charcoal. I read these will all absorb the odor. I also ordered an odor eliminator from Meguiar's and I'm just waiting on that to come in to try it. I have heard a lot of people have had success with it. I'll just have to wait and see.

·
The Mustang dude
1,438 Posts
Just remember smells are created by particles....so remove them and the smell will be gone.
Cabin filter replacement and then repeated vigorous interior shampooing and vacuuming. Also make sure you wipe down the seats and all hard surfaces. You can use leather conditioner for the seats since it has a light clean smell. Using a vac on the headliner will help a lot too...oh and dont forget the rear package shelf and make sure you clean the glass too.
For spray deodorizers I use Febreze (lots of it) or in cars that had really strong odors I liked to use Ozium. For prevention, use scotch guard on the carpets.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
eah everything has been shampooed. I also changed the cabin filter. Right now my car is sitting in the garage totally closed up with open containers of vinegar, open containers of coffee grounds, and an open bag of charcoal. I read these will all absorb the odor. I also ordered an odor eliminator from Meguiar's and I'm just waiting on that to come in to try it. I have heard a lot of people have had success with it. I'll just have to wait and see.*
Throwing everything at it huh lol. All the tricks. It should come out over time. Also do not vacuum your headliner. You risk damaging it . What can happen is the plastic on the vacuum nozzle can catch the material and cause damage to the material. Any material like that should be steam cleaned. Its not 100% gonna happen but there is a risk.

Oh and the bacteria is what causes the oder and lingering on of it.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
+1 on the baking soda, throw it on a tray/dish and let it sit whenever you can. Activated charcoal works ok too...surprised the ozone machine didnt do it for you though, real issue is that it gets stuck in the headliners and you cant clean that too well or else you run the risk of the fabric separating.

Spraying some odoban once in awhile wont hurt either.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
This sound ridiculous but cut an apple into quarters and place them on a paper plate. Let them sit overnight. Might have to do it a few nights.

I smoked for 2 years in my car and sold it to someone that despises the smell of smoke.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
o...surprised the ozone machine didnt do it for you though, real issue is that it gets stuck in the headliners and you cant clean that too well or else you run the risk of the fabric separating.
I've had customers return ,where we ozoned three times to no avail. Depending on how bad the car is ,as to if it works. Steamer will not hurt headliner.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Granny Smith or what LOL

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
I had a guy who ran over a skunk once . It sprayed the motor . Thar was bad and he was done for . When his car started to get hot it would reek

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Alright after the vinegar, coffee, and charcoal the car did smell a little better, if you like the smell of vinegar. I tried the odor eliminator from Meguiars and that worked the best. I still have a smoke smell coming from the back seat where the sides of the upper part of the seats meet the doors. I think if I can get behind there and clean it really good I can get rid of it altogether. Does anybody know how to remove the back seats?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Go to a hardware store and buy 2 things. A can of "One Shot" and a "Bad Air Sponge". I used to work for Enterprise Rent-A-Car and the "One Shot" is a smoke odor neutralizing bomb that is used by the fire department to remove the smoke smell from homes and cars after fires. It pretty much works just like a bug bomb. Keep the windows up, throw in the bomb and shut the door. Wait a couple hours and you'll never know the car was smoked in. Afterwards I would use the "Bad Air Sponge" as a just in case in there happens to be any lingering odor. I use that on top of my cat litter box and you can't even tell I have a litter box in the house.

Link to One Shot on Amazon.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Fire-One-Shot-Aerosol-Can/dp/B000AQNDSA[/ame]

1 - 20 of 25 Posts