Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,787 Posts
Two bolts on each side and just PULL CAREFULLY....
Reach in and pull close to the pins..
Next time I'm gonna try cutting them from in the trunk and pull effortlessly.
to be honest... I'd paint it on the car lol...

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Two bolts on each side and just PULL CAREFULLY....
Reach in and pull close to the pins..
Next time I'm gonna try cutting them from in the trunk and pull effortlessly.
to be honest... I'd paint it on the car lol...
well im gunna try using plasti-dip on it lol, so i dont wanna spray my car

·
Premium Member
1,935 Posts
Removal was quite a chore... there are the two bolts, double-sided tape, and 4 of the most PITA clips I've ever seen. The clips will not want to come free from the trunk lid without breaking... so you need to make sure to buy replacements. I wasn't very gentile when removing mine and actually pulled-up the metal around the holes on the trunk lid. If I was to do it again, I'd try to cut the clips (rather than just use brute force).

-Todd...

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Removal was quite a chore... there are the two bolts, double-sided tape, and 4 of the most PITA clips I've ever seen. The clips will not want to come free from the trunk lid without breaking... so you need to make sure to buy replacements. I wasn't very gentile when removing mine and actually pulled-up the metal around the holes on the trunk lid. If I was to do it again, I'd try to cut the clips (rather than just use brute force).

-Todd...
hmm that does sound like a PITA, i think ill just newspaper and tape the living hell out of the car and then spray the spoiler with it still attached to the car

·
Registered
359 Posts
I painted mine on the car. You can slide tape under the spoiler to mask it. I masked about 3/4 of the car, but should have masked it all.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I painted mine on the car. You can slide tape under the spoiler to mask it. I masked about 3/4 of the car, but should have masked it all.
good to know, ill wrap the majority of the car.

·
Registered
688 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Honestly, I would recommend plasti dipping it anyways, just incase you want to return it to stock, it makes it 100% easier.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Don't know what the fuss is about removing the OEM spoiler....took me 2min to remove the spoiler, about 5min getting the adhesive off of the lid with using goo gone. Then using alcohol to remove and oils/ dirt to prep for MM CF spoiler install.

Use a plastic putty knife to help with removing the 3m tape adhisive.
The secret to getting clips off is....take the extra 30sec to remove the interior trunk lid liner. You can access all the clips from behind the lid frame. It's a tight fit, and finger cramping but beats damaging your trunk lid. I got ALL 5 clips out without breaking any of them.

Total time to remove the spoiler...7min and maybe a few seconds.

Reactions: Bowlgod

·
Registered
194 Posts
Don't know what the fuss is about removing the OEM spoiler....took me 2min to remove the spoiler, about 5min getting the adhesive off of the lid with using goo gone. Then using alcohol to remove and oils/ dirt to prep for MM CF spoiler install.

Use a plastic putty knife to help with removing the 3m tape adhisive.
The secret to getting clips off is....take the extra 30sec to remove the interior trunk lid liner. You can access all the clips from behind the lid frame. It's a tight fit, and finger cramping but beats damaging your trunk lid. I got ALL 5 clips out without breaking any of them.

Total time to remove the spoiler...7min and maybe a few seconds.
proof plz ;) make a vid

wanting to do my spoiler as well

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have no means in posting a video. Right now anyways. It's pretty self explanatory for any guy with mediocre mechanical skills. First use a PLASTIC putty knife to separate the 3m tape from the led top side and bottom side. Then pull your trunk lid liner off (assuming you have a gt/GXP, V6 cars don't come with trunk lid liners). Feel behind the trunk frame where the clips would be. You can feel them. Push the tabs in and pull the spoiler upwards. Do one at a time. There are 2 sides of the clips. I only pushed one side.

Yes it sounds hard, but it really isn't. I was scared to do this job at first, but If I didn't try, the spoiler would never get replaced. Lol.

·
Registered
110 Posts
good to know, ill wrap the majority of the car.
I plasti-dipped my spoiler almost a year ago. What I did was carefully mask all around and under the spoiler with blue tape, then covered the rear with plastic drop cloths. It came out pretty good. Easier than removing spoiler, IMO.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts