Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 9.5" rear wheels with 35 offset. I rolled the fenders... kinda(long story to follow) and I am not sure it will be enough. I want to mill a bit off my rotors and the rim. I am unsure how much is safe for either, so am looking for a bit of advice.

I work at an autobody shop and my car is in for some work as of the moment. I was blending the 1/4s because i wanted them to match the bumper(also being painted) and decided it was the best time to roll the fenders in case the paint splits. Well I used a hammer and dolly to do it and split the paint. The car was being painted the next day so I had to fix it, prime it, and prep it to be painted so I can get it painted and also the doors. I do not think it is enough and was a big mistake! So I need a few more mm... I think.

Anyone with 35 offset in the rear have some input?

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there any pictures around of how much needs to be rolled? I went from a 90* to like a 45* mostly at the top and fading out on the edges.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If i took out 4mm between the two do you think that would be sufficient if my fenders are not rolled enough? So a 39° offset?

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
I wouldnt personally machine that surface.. leave at 35 and it wont be too bad... may stick out a bit but guys do it.... If you roll it a bit and not being lowered you will be fine unless you have some big fat people in the rear seat!!

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am afraid to put tires on and paint the rims to have to take them apart again and risk chipping them right away to machine them

·
Proud owner
1,196 Posts
You could shave 10mm off and still rub. I have 9.5" wide, +45 offset, 285's, stock height, and still rub (not often) when my kids are in the car and I drive through a dip or something.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Cant mill much off the rotors i would rather mill the wheels but easier thing right now is to roll the fenders more

·
'Mod'erator
4,892 Posts
I have 10 in rim with a 43 offset and a 285 tire lowered on H&Rs and I never rub.

I rolled the fenders and modified my bumper bracket.

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
Rolling the genders, interesting change of pace for this thread. :popcorn2:

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I already Had the car painted today and i didn't have the time to roll more. I have 275/35 rears so hopefully that helps.

·
'Mod'erator
4,892 Posts

·
Mack
1,000 Posts
Does anyone have pics or more info on the modified bumper bracket? Just now hearing about this. I need to roll also but worried about the paint flaking.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Ah you can't mill the rotors! Aside from the strenth issues, the rotor would not longer be centered in between the pads

·
Registered
241 Posts
Ah you can't mill the rotors! Aside from the strenth issues, the rotor would not longer be centered in between the pads
Milling the outside of the hat wouldn't affect the centering but you are correct in that it will weaken it. I could see you braking hard and the hat separating from the rotor.

As for rolling the fenders I would agree with whatever SleepN says. I have his old car and whomever did the fender roll on this thing was a magician. It looks perfect and clears my tires perfectly.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Idk if this will help, but I've got 9.5" rears with +41 offsets on 275 tires and I never rub. Went over a huge nasty bump on the highway and no rubs. I rolled the fenders to be safe, but they aren't flat, there is probably a 30 degree angle on the sheet metal instead of the original 90°

·
Registered
302 Posts
Milling the outside of the hat wouldn't affect the centering but you are correct in that it will weaken it. I could see you braking hard and the hat separating from the rotor.

As for rolling the fenders I would agree with whatever SleepN says. I have his old car and whomever did the fender roll on this thing was a magician. It looks perfect and clears my tires perfectly.
I rolled them with an Eastwood fender roller and a heat gun. :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 20 of 27 Posts