Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So now that I have the new wheels and tires on Christine, a brake upgrade needs to be done.

I had intended on waiting to post pictures with measurements and all that jazz but Michigan has turned into England (cold/rainy all the time) so I haven't been able to get stuff together. There's about an inch and a half space currently between the side of the stock caliper and the inside of the wheel spokes. When it stops raining for a bit and I have some sort of measuring device I'll get a more accurate reading.

I'm hoping that's enough for front calipers, I assume I've got similar clearance in the rear. I'm thinking the 4 piston '07 ones. The 6 piston would be nice but I don't need that kind of stopping power for the price.

So how much bigger are the CTS-V calipers? Is there somewhere I can see dimensions online?

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, got some pictures... First is the front view from an overhead shot. The second is the rear.

It looks like there should be enough room?

Attachments

·
Registered
517 Posts
Man, our stock calipers look like garbage compared to the V's. I'm waiting on shipping for all of my V parts and I am totally jonesing to get everything put on the car. I've got a severely warped front rotor that is just begging to be replaced after 70K miles. I'll say this for the stockers, they last for a ton of miles. I think my last vehicle only lasted about 40K before needing an overhaul on the brake system and I am not easy on my cars.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
You can get away with the stock wheels with about a 10mm spacer, so I would say 1/2" would be plenty of clearance. If you have over an inch, you should have no clearance problems.

V brakes are sexy!

·
Mack
1,000 Posts
SO even with stock 19" GT wheels you'll need spacers if running the 4-pot CTS-V calipers? I kinda wanted to go this route also OP but would "like" to have the ability to swap back to stock wheels if I get the urge.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Damn, I forgot about stock wheels. I have my stock 19's and was going to use them for my winter wheel/tire combo. There's always the option of swapping wheels and brakes but that seems like a lot of work.

Using the 10mm spacers though, don't you need longer studs?

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
You have a couple of options. You can buy 20mm adapters and cut the rounded, non-threaded portion off your stock studs, or you can buy 10mm spacers and longer wheel studs. I went the first route while I was running stockers before I got my V wheels. Nice thing is you can just unbolt them and take them off when you bolt on a set of wheels that has the clearance you need. Bad thing is that it costs more money, and there is a little work involved whether you shorten you stock studs or replace them. My set of adapters was $265 shipped.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmmm... I guess I've got some time to figure it out. Or I could just pick up a set of winter wheels that clear the brembos. Should I just google for "20mm wheel stud adaptors" or something?

·
Registered
411 Posts
Yeah, someone pointed me to a "sizing" PDF... I'm going to go out and check it in a bit.
Do you have a link to said sizing chart? I would really appreciate any information on where to find it.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Do you have a link to said sizing chart? I would really appreciate any information on where to find it.
Might be referring to the sizing chart on PFYC.com for their brake kit....?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Actually the one on the Pace Performance site.
I downloaded the pdf template from Pace and noticed that it had Baer listed in the text so I went to Baer's site and found this http://www.baer.com/tech-center/brake-template-instructions Now I am wondering if this template has been modified to measure Brembo clearance because my understanding is the Baer calipers fit behind the stock wheel. Now all this is clear as mud to me :eek2:

·
Registered
819 Posts
BEAR have always stated you need a minimum of an 1/8th between caliper and rim.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts