Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Windshield and dashboard gap? *Now with video*

Weird question, I know. But could anyone check how much room there is between their dashboard and the bottom of their windshield?

I got my windshield replaced and there is a clicking noise like the dash is rubbing on the windshield. I can't even slide a piece of paper between them. Thanks!

Anyone have the service manual directions on replacing the windshield?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Unfortunately this is the same thing that happened to me! My buddies V6 model has much much more room between the windshield and dash. His is OEM and has never been replaced. The foam that was used from the factory at the bottom of the windshield is wayyyy thicker than what was used to replace it when I had mine replaced. You will now also have a gap between the outside windshield and your cowl as the windshield sits down further than it did from the factory.

·
Its Good To Be Tha King
9,064 Posts
^The last part is not so true. The cowl should sit flush against the lower part of the windshield, like it does from the factory. If it doesn't, you need new cowl clips. The cowl clips are one use only, and not cheap.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I replaced all of the clips with brand new and yes expensive clips...still have the gap because my windshield sits so low :(

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After stopping to see another G8 in the area I am convinced my windshield is sitting too low. The moldings along the side of the windshield also have large gaps between them and the glass.

I have an appointment Thursday with the installer, should I have them redo the entire windshield?

Thanks for this. I have read all your posts on the subject, very helpful.

·
Registered
98 Posts
What did you find out?

I just had my windshield replaced too. When I replaced my tweeters I seem to remember there was foam spacer on the inside of the windshield between the dash.

I don't remember the dash molding being so close to the windshield.

The alldata manual doesn't show anything for windshield replacement in terms of spacers between the dash and windshield. Does anyone have access to another brand of shop manual that shows spacer between the dash and windshield?

·
Registered
433 Posts
I realize this is an old thread, but I have this exact noise in my G8 after the windshield was replaced. The windshield install looks OK to me, but it rattles most of the time. Did you ever find a resolution?
Jason, do you mind sharing what brand of glass you got and who did the work? I am in need of a new windshield...

·
Registered
433 Posts
Thanks for checking.

I came to the conclusion that everybody is using Pilkington glass. Whether it is Safelite or other shops.

Is it possible that the Pilkington glass is not 100% factory spec and curves in slightly more? Or is it the installation?
Seems strange the forum members reporting the inside gap and outside cowl fit issue.... Maybe the glass has a shape slightly more pushed in?

BTW. I found this thread indicating that some aftermarket glasses actually have a different "shape":
http://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/f5/windshields-stock-aftermarket-comparison-61177/

http://www.g8board.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-147521.html

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
6 Participants
sander
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing