Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried getting someone to wrap it with vinyl, but he couldn't do it because he kept getting creases in the corners... Should I just sand it and paint it? Or are there any other options? What is this Plasti-Dip i keep hearing about?

·
Registered
874 Posts
+2 for Plastidip spray on

·
SWIFT G8
1,056 Posts
did you remove it from car? is there an easy way to remove? or do you tape off car and paint?

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
The grills pop right out without a problem. I did mine with plasti-dip as well, worked out perfect.

·
mmmm... Mods...
345 Posts
did you remove it from car? is there an easy way to remove? or do you tape off car and paint?
Just put your fingers through the honeycomb. And give it a good pull and they come right out. And then they pop right back into place also.

I also used plasti-dip. Its awesome!!!. Especially if you mess up. It peels right off like pulling off a latex glove off your hand with no chemicals to make it come off. Great stuff!

·
SWIFT G8
1,056 Posts
Sweet, i was hoping I could put on the filter cover for the RamJet if it rains, nice to know i can just pop it off to get to it versus installing everything.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I removed them from the car. Pull on the bottom of the grill first. They should come out.
wow, i didnt know it was that simple.. i dont have to pop the hood and unscrew a few things first? just tug?

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
The grill is only held on by some plastic clips, all you have to do is tug some. Don't be too rough with it though or you might break some clips.

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
the clips that are brittle are the chrome ones that connect the black mesh grill to the grill surrounds, do not try to remove those they will break.

also just pop the hood and pull them out

·
Premium Member
4,787 Posts
the clips that are brittle are the chrome ones that connect the black mesh grill to the grill surrounds, do not try to remove those they will break.

also just pop the hood and pull them out
There's ZERO need to pop the hood for this.
Park the car in the sun... Wait awhile... The grills pull right out.. reach your fingers in the middle and pull. Nothing to undo or anything. Then get yourself a hair dryer and warm up the chrome clips.. CAREFULLY ease them out paint and put back together...

Done.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Plasti Dip....not spray paint. If you ever drive on the highway the spray paint will chip. I've had the PD on for almost 5 months and over 7000 highway miles and not one chip.

·
Premium Member
4,892 Posts
I just pulled mine out and I'm trying this mod now. I've plastidipped the hood scoops and front emblem a while back so I'll see how this turns out. I have been on the fence about this for a while as I feel the chrome trim doesn't stand out nearly as much on a white car and is much more subtle. Nice thing about it is that you can peal the stuff right off.

Two more layers of spray to go and I'll put it all back together in the morning.

·
The Mustang dude
1,437 Posts
Sounds like a great option for the window trim too.... hmmm, next weekend is wide open too.

·
Premium Member
4,892 Posts
Excuse the bug juice all over the front of the car. I haven't washed her since I got back from Goat Run.

I still don't know how I feel about the chrome being blacked out on my white car, but I'll see how I feel about it as the week goes on.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.