Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got 1,300 to spend on my new gt. what would you guys get?

Eventually i want to buy:
- headers (LT's or Mids)
- cold air intake (vararam or rotofab)
- a tune (cortex, VMS, livernois, or dyno from haddad motorsports)
- Cat back (solo mach unbalanced, or corsa)
- HID's and LED fogs/turn signals

What would you guys do if you were me?

·
Northeast G8 Owners Club
1,979 Posts
Roto intake, tune, and headers. That's pushing it for $1300 though. Either way I would start with an intake and tune for sure!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Roto intake, tune, and headers. That's pushing it for $1300 though. Either way I would start with an intake and tune for sure!
what cold air intake would you recommend? i hear good things about the Roto-Fab and livernois combination, but i was considering getting a vararam as they seem to produce more gains. they're advertised at 35+ crank hp.

thanks!

·
Northeast G8 Owners Club
1,979 Posts
I say at this point it's all preference but for me the factory look, fit and finish of the Roto-Fab sold it for me! Livernois has a TON of cars done and to me they were the best option for what i wanted. Also excellent customer service. Most will tell you if you have a good local tuner that a dyno tune is best.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thats what sold it for me on my V6 as well. i love the look. On the other hand.. i hate the look of the vararam OTR design, but i think its extra horses will make up for it. so as of now i think I'm going to get a dyno tune ($600) and a vararam ($300).. so thats $800 right there, leaving me with $500 bucks to spend.. hmm. i guess ill upgrade my lights or something. Maybe get some Cheap headers.. like Pacesetter or something

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Get the headers before the tune. If not, you will have to re-tune after the headers. Might as well only pay for one tune.

·
Premium Member
1,896 Posts
Buy me a corsa catback....

ok seriously, make sure you have good tires cuz those tires are not cheap yet the rears wear out quickly on the GT! If your tires are good..... and if I were you I'd buy Kooks mids or Doug Thorley tri-Y long tubes ($700) and the dyno tune ..... that comes to $1300!!!!!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Buy me a corsa catback....

ok seriously, make sure you have good tires cuz those tires are not cheap yet the rears wear out quickly on the GT! If your tires are good..... and if I were you I'd buy Kooks mids or Doug Thorley tri-Y long tubes ($700) and the dyno tune ..... that comes to $1300!!!!!
hahah i want a corsa too, that might have to be my first purchase
But i am considering kooks mids, however, i really want kooks LT's.. and as far as whats cost efficient, wouldn't i get more hp/tq out of a catback, CAI, and a tune? granted that might go above 1300. That said, i was thinking about going with a used corsa, if i can find one, a vararam, and a tune. then later adding the catted connection pipes and kooks LT's. Does the corsa cat back come with HFC's?

·
Premium Member
1,896 Posts
Nope, no HFC's with the cat backs but you can buy the Solo HFC's ($700)...... I'd opt for Kooks mids (these come with HFC's) or Doug Thorley tri-Y (come with no cats) for about the same price as the Solo HFC's. The DT tri-Y LT's give the best low/mid range torque gains from what I've heard....... Wait, you are in CA so any of these will be illegal ;-)

The Kooks LT's seem to be the top choice on here but this would require a connection pipe also and the cost is probably twice the cost of the above options.

Catbacks are pretty much just for sound.... a few ponies gained but 10-15hp at the most. The headers should get you 30-40 and with a tune probably more like 40-50.

You can always save money on the CAI by doing what I did and making your own for about $100. Doesn't look as nice as the Rotofab but works and sounds great!

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Hookers and blow my friend. Hookers and blow.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Give us a call and we can set up a package to best fit your budget! We can offer all of the parts you are interested in as well as the tune and will certainly put together a nice package price for you! 586-790-2970, simply mention you are from the G8Board!

-Vector

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Do that^^^^^

·
Premium Member
1,896 Posts

·
G8/LSX n00b
855 Posts
n i c e

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
tune and intake

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
If you are married, $300 on the wife and $1000 on the car.
The peace is worth it with that "V" day coming up.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you are married, $300 on the wife and $1000 on the car.
The peace is worth it with that "V" day coming up.
haha, well i don't quite have a wife but a girlfriend nonetheless.. she hates it when i mod my car/talk about modding my car. but she doesn't understand that the mod bug has gotten to me.. its out of my control now!

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
About this Discussion
23 Replies
12 Participants
the_Gate
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing