Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
08 Pontiac G8 GT
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, a weeks ago I started my journey of putting a sub in my g8. What I wanted was to add another amp and sub and retain the factory amp/subs. SteveR had recommended this harness, although there was some minor confusion it was not the part he had used but I made it work. Here it is:

With that out of the way, I'm going to start the how to part if this install. I'm using a lot of pictures for the people like me that need this idiot proof.
Step 1 remove this silver trim piece. Real easy, just grab the right side, lift up a little bit and it'll pop off. Be gentle though, it's old plastic it may break.

Step 2
Open your glove box and take out these 3 screws.

Step 3
Pop the circled caps off with a flathead screwdriver, then take the screws out that are underneath them.

Step 4
Now we go to the underside of the glove box. There is a panel that just pops off as shown here

Step 5
After you pull the panel off, theres 2 more screws to take off the bottom of the glovebox. I only got a picture of one screw as they were too far apart to get a picture of both of them but there is one on the console side and another screw on the passenger side door side of the car.

Step 6
Pull the glovebox off. Be careful as there is a connector that's needs to be disconnected. Just disconnect it and remove the glovebox.

·
Premium Member
08 Pontiac G8 GT
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Step 7
Pull the lower trim down, then pull the piece above it down.

Step 8
Disconnect your factory radio harness. There is a throw lever on it. Pull the lever and pull it out.

·
Premium Member
08 Pontiac G8 GT
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Step 9
This is the important part. There is some wires clipped into your factory connector that have to be pulled out and placed in the new harness or your hvac and steering wheel controls will no longer work. Just pulled the circled clip out and place it in the new harness in the same slot and plug it back in

Step 10
Run your rca cables to the trunk or wherever you're going to install your new amp. I chose to run them underneath the trim on the passenger side, underneath the bottom back seat and through there into my trunk. Keep in mind, the remote turn on wire in the new harness does not work but I will show you where to get the power from in the next step.

Step 11
Pop your trunk, remove everything as if you were trying to access your factory amp. Above that you will see a white connector that isnt connected to anything. Tap into the blue/brown wire and this will be your remote turn on.

From here, all you have to do is run your power and ground from the battery and hook everything up. All in all, it should take you about 10 minutes to get the harness install and everything put back together. This harness works great and allows you to keep your factory amp and subs. Any questions just ask!

·
Premium Member
5,104 Posts
Steve R* and good write-up.

·
Premium Member
08 Pontiac G8 GT
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LOVE IT. It definitely sounds better in the g8 than it did in truck since I was able to get a bigger box. Wouldn't have got this far without you lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts