Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently purchased a G8 GT within the last couple weeks.

I first discovered that it had Magnaflow axle back on it after crawling under that car when I noticed the tips didn't look stock.

Yesterday I was looking around the message board and found about the engineering mode so I tried that out.

I went to the active fuel management section and it stays on all cylinders active all the time. So leads me to believe the car has an aftermarket tune too.

What I would like to know if there is anyway for me to know if the car is tuned for a different octane level. I am putting premium in just to be safe.

If I took the car to a GM dealer could they plug it into the computer and see what degree of timing the car is running?

·
Its Good To Be Tha King
9,064 Posts
Did you purchase from a GM dealership?

If so, and you are positive in thinking that there is a aftermarket tune, return to that dealership and insist they put the stock tune back on the vehicle.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't purchase from a GM dealer, it was from a used car lot. I'm not opposed to having the aftermarket tune, I just would like to know what the tune is setup for.

·
Registered
468 Posts
See if you can trace back the previous owner and nicely ask him/her to provide you the info about the tune.

If that's not an option, other than downloading the tune to HPTuners or similar to look at parameters may be your only way out unless you want to flash to stock.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I called a local GM tuner and he says he can plug it in for $100 to find out what is done.

His advice was if someone had it tuned they most likely tuned it for 93 octane, so I could just continue to use 93 and not worry about it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts