Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
LEADFOOT
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is an attempt to show those who are having the dreaded "Air Bag Fault" light come on at start-up, a solution, as well as steps to take to have their issue resolved.

The first thing that I must say, is that if you have the message popping up that displays "Air Bag Fault" and the little red airbag light is on next to the tach
, YOUR SRS (AIR BAG SYSTEM) IS ENTIRELY DISABLED. This means that the entire SRS system will not work whatsoever when it is supposed to during an accident,; yes the seatbelts will still lock up but no bags will deploy. This alone will get you sued in a heartbeat if you carry passengers and get in an accident and a the worst outcome happens. Regardless of what you do, if you carry passengers in your vehicle, get this fixed ASAP, whether you fix it or the dealership does. This car is one of the safest because of its advanced SRS system, why would you feel ok to drive with it not functioning properly?

Alright end of rant, lets do this.

The first step is getting the problem diagnosed. This must be done at a GM Dealer, since most OBD tools are unable to read Air Bag Fault Codes. One thing you need to do is to have them get you a quote with the specific part numbers that need to be replaced.

After I had my issue diagnosed, these were the codes that popped up:

B0081 - PASS. PRESENCE SYSTEM 1 INVALID SER. DATA
U0170 - LOST COMM. WITH PASS. PRESENCE

The dealer then printed my requested quote with the part numbers that would be used to replace the faulty parts causing the issue.

In my case the dealer noted that I needed to have the
Passenger Presence Module replaced - Part Number: 92225595

I was quoted at 416.67 for the part and 452.00 for the labor.

After searching the internet and using G8BOARD.COM a great deal, I came to the conclusion that the dealer's labor time was a joke, and the part could be found at a very reputable site for close to 100.00 less.

The Second Step is doing a little bit of your own research. If you had the same codes pop up as myself, then the rest of this thread should be a perfect guide to solving the issues that you have, and restoring your Air Bag System to proper working condition. If you had another code pop up, possibly you need to have the SDM Module replaced (Part NO.
92245736) then you will have a little bit more research and work to do but it is not impossible to do it yourself.

The first part of the second step is to determine if you believe you are capable of performing the repair by yourself instead of the dealer. For the problem I had, I would rate its difficulty a 3 out of 10; 10 being most difficult.

The best way I found out whether or not I thought I could perform this repair was to look over the GM Tech manual that the techs themselves use to make repairs. I have found this buy doing lots of reading through threads, and coming across a member who posted this link to the manual and has made it public; all I am simply doing here is re-posting it for people to determine whether or not they can perform the task at hand, which is what I believe the OP intended.

This link is here: http://www.mediafire.com/?6l6q10bav0xof

There is a lot of valuable info within that link, but I will be specific form here on out to describe how I replaced the part causing the error codes.

The second part of the second step is to purchase the replacement part. I choose to use http://gmpartscenter.net/ only because of the positive reviews I came across. I received my part (92225595) within 5 days of ordering, and paid 308.95 including shipping. There are many sites to buy this part from, I choose the most reputable based on my personal research.

The Third Step is to begin the replacement process. The steps I used to replace the passenger presence module were compiled through reading the GM Tech manual as well as what G8Board member MasterPat credited Swimman with providing on this page: http://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66537&highlight=92225595

1: Disconnect Negative Battery Terminal.
2: Remove Headrest from passenger seat. - This can only be accomplished by inserting something into the hole that faces the passenger side of the car on the right (looking from rear of car to fornt) headrest post, and pressing the button on the left side at the same time.

3: Remove the four plastic covers on the seat sliders.
Right Rear- has tab inserted into front right slider, simply pull up to remove.

Left Rear- Held on by metal clip; pull up to remove

Left Front- Held on by plastic molding- Do not pull up, instead pull out- towards front of car.

Left Right - Is a longer piece, pull entire piece up.

4: Remove the four wire connectors at the front right hand side of the seat. They are all different connectors, just take your time getting them all undone.

5: Remove the two bolts that are holding the rear of the seat down.

6: Time to remove the seat from its track so you can work on the bottom of the seat and get access to the passenger presence module. In order to do this, I found it easy to move the seatback all the way forward, then lift the rear of the seat so the front hinges can disengage, and then lift the entire seat and back. I then rested the seat back against the bottom rear seat, which allowed the bottom of the front passenger seat to basically be at 90 degrees and allowed for easy access.

7: Locate the Passenger Presence Module. It is on the middle of the seat and towards the very front. The next few photos are blurry, but you can still make out what I'll explain, sorry in advance.

This photo is taken back and looks at the whole bottom part of the seat. In order to remove the module, you will need to cut the white mesh that is over it.

(Photo Credit: Kermit33)

·
LEADFOOT
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
This photo is a little closer and you can see the serial cable that sends the data from the seat to the module, as well as the power/ground cable:

(Photo Credit: Kermit33)

Closer comparing the two modules as well as wires/serial cable:
[/URL][/IMG]

8: Removing the Module - It is held in by two clips, I used a door panel removal tool to simply just pop it out easily, and then played around with the cables with a leatherman until I was able to get the clips to come off without breaking.

Photo of removed module with clips:
[/URL][/IMG]

Tool used to remove module:
[/URL][/IMG]
The module is held in by a plastic holder, very easy to remove and insert replacement module.

Image of new module (left), old module (middle), and plastic holder (right)
[/URL][/IMG]

9: Now just insert the new module into the plastic holder and reverse the process you just completed to disassemble and remove the faulty part.

The Fourth Step: The Final step after reassembly: go to GM dealer and have them reprogram the new module to your car. If you had the same codes pop up as me, no need to cross your fingers; your system should be fully operating now.
Final cost for repair:

Original Diagnostic fee: 27.00 after tax
Part No. 92225595: 308.95 including shipping/handling/tax
Reprogramming Module to vehicle: 109.58 after tax

TOTAL: 445.53 + exactly 57 minutes of my time to install and reassemble. So I essentially saved all of the labor plus about 30 bucks after the dealer had to get their hands on it to reprogram.

I would love to rant on about how this shouldn't be a cost anyone should have to go through because of the nature of the fault being a safety issue, but its fixed, and that's all that matters.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Good write up, and I'm probably going to do this repair myself. I've worked with Subarus with hundreds of thousands of miles, and owned at least 3 cars with over 100k miles and never saw airbag light one. Anyway, not to detract from this post, the pics are very helpful and this looks like a relatively easy repair.
The dealer quoted me 160 for labor and to reprogram it. While they charged 90 to read the code. You're dead on that it should never go out and I would encourage anyone who has this issue file a complaint with the NHTSA at www.nhtsa.gov.

Again, thanks for the good write up and the pics!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Panther GT, Thank you for getting to the solution, rather then the typical ranting. I am experiencing the same issue. Psg occupancy module falult. The thing I would like to add to your write up, is I was able to get the wires and module off, without removing the seat. Granted the psg seat is power, Adjust seat alll the way back and up in the front. Lift up on the retaining tabs and slide the module back. Once it's out you can carefully remove the two plugs. Hope all the combined info helps others frustration and money.

·
Registered
536 Posts
i have the light coming on as well, and with a (potential) $1,000 repair bill at a gm dealer, i'm not terribly happy with the quality gm has built into that sensor. granted, i'd do the same as the op and replace it myself, but that's still a $500 repair for a part that's not even 4 or 5 years old with little to no usage. no one sits in my pass seat!! i really thought gm was building better quality parts than this is the last 10 years. this will certainly give me pause in how highly i regarded my g8, and future gm purchases.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yes, it does suck. I even contacted GM customer support. A lot of bark, no bite. So for the do-it-yourselfer the best bet maybe GM parts online, I believe the part cost is $307.

Good luck

·
LEADFOOT
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i have the light coming on as well, and with a (potential) $1,000 repair bill at a gm dealer, i'm not terribly happy with the quality gm has built into that sensor. granted, i'd do the same as the op and replace it myself, but that's still a $500 repair for a part that's not even 4 or 5 years old with little to no usage. no one sits in my pass seat!! i really thought gm was building better quality parts than this is the last 10 years. this will certainly give me pause in how highly i regarded my g8, and future gm purchases.
Yes it is a real PITA for sure. One thing I just wanted to re emphasize is the fact that whether or not you have passengers in your vehicle, and specifically front passengers, if there is a fault with ANY part of the airbag system, the ENTIRE system is disabled, meaning no bag will deploy, including the driver's.

I could go on and on as well as to how ridiculous it is for us customers to have to foot the bill on a part that should either neverfail, or be replaced by the builder, but it would just be hot air. The right thing to do is to replace it either by the dealership or yourself for right around 400.

The one thing I will say is that it really ate at me when I replaced the faulty part and the new part's number was higher/different than the original. This clarifies that not only does GM know which part to replace to solve the issue, but they created a new and updated module to solve the issue; clarifying that they DO Acknowledge there is a faulty part. :bs:

·
Registered
431 Posts
when i went to pick up my GXP a few weeks ago, on the drive home from PA the air bag light came on. the previous owner said he had never had that happen before. the battery was low on juice so the car was slow to crank. i know that in some cars, low voltage can cause weird electrical issues so i wrote it off as being related and that the car probably just needed a new battery. after getting home, the next morning we went up to an autozone and sure enough my battery was dead so i bought a new one. we started to install it but stopped because we didn't have tools with us and it's quite involved.

we ended up going to the dealership and having them install it (only $40). while it was there they said they preformed some sort of software reflash as part of a TSB or recall, i'm not sure which, that will take care of the SRS issue. does anyone know if what they fixed and this issue are the same thing?

·
LEADFOOT
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
when i went to pick up my GXP a few weeks ago, on the drive home from PA the air bag light came on. the previous owner said he had never had that happen before. the battery was low on juice so the car was slow to crank. i know that in some cars, low voltage can cause weird electrical issues so i wrote it off as being related and that the car probably just needed a new battery. after getting home, the next morning we went up to an autozone and sure enough my battery was dead so i bought a new one. we started to install it but stopped because we didn't have tools with us and it's quite involved.

we ended up going to the dealership and having them install it (only $40). while it was there they said they preformed some sort of software reflash as part of a TSB or recall, i'm not sure which, that will take care of the SRS issue. does anyone know if what they fixed and this issue are the same thing?
The recall you are referring to does fix an important issue, but it is not related to the failure of the passenger presence module. The recall you speak of just re programs the air bag to deploy a few milliseconds faster because in some cases it was deploying too slowly and causing more injury rather than preventing it.

·
Registered
82 Posts

·
Don't Tread on Me
90 Posts
POS gave me the airbag fault this morning - 6 DAYS after it is out of warranty.

·
LEADFOOT
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
POS gave me the airbag fault this morning - 6 DAYS after it is out of warranty.
I had something similar happen to me a few weeks after my warranty expired, but in my case it dealt with both rear wheel bearings.

I'd suggest to look into finding a local dealer that offers "lifetime warranties" on their vehicles. These dealerships have met certain criteria and perform tons of work that they are then reimbursed by GM for performing.

If your car is 6 days out of warranty and way below the 100k mile limit like mine was (58,000), bring up the old boys' good faith policy, and they just might foot the bill like my dealership did.

·
Don't Tread on Me
90 Posts
I will try but I have moved and the dealer I go to was not the one that sold me the car...

Funny thing, I also had a right rear wheel bearing go out on me. It was replaced under warranty and no problems since.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Took my module out today after removing my seat. Still looking at the best price for this part so will be awhile before I'm back on the road. I was about to remove the module without having to take the bracket off or cut any of the cloth. Thanks so much for this walk through.

My local club has a Tech II so I hope to save on the reprogramming.

Panther, I took some pics if you want them to replace the fuzzy one you had on the first post. PM me your E-mail address if you want them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
This is a great write up. I was able to complete it without removing the seat. I raised the seat to the highest point it would go. I did have to cut the fabric as above. And you should be able to unplug the two plugs from the back of the sensor before you pop it lose from the seat. I'm not sure how much time this saves, but there was plenty enough room without seat removal.
Also, a headlamp was used which will help the lighting situation.

·
LEADFOOT
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey Fellas, glad to hear that this is useful for those who were/are in need of some info on how to do this yourself!

·
Car RamRod
1,795 Posts
some of the early pics are no longer hosted. can you see if they are all able to be viewed via photobucket.

·
LEADFOOT
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
some of the early pics are no longer hosted. can you see if they are all able to be viewed via photobucket.

All photos should be working properly, I was updating the post then so I'm assuming that's why it wasn't working.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My advice is the dealer will usually work with you on the parts and/or labor costs if the car is just a few days out of warranty. If there's still time left on the warranty and you are slightly over the mileage they have even more flexibility. Key is to be cordial but persistent, and keep going up the chain of command until you find someone willing to work with you. If you act like a rick with a "p" in front of it you will get nowhere. That's any dealer, any issue.

·
LEADFOOT
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My advice is the dealer will usually work with you on the parts and/or labor costs if the car is just a few days out of warranty. If there's still time left on the warranty and you are slightly over the mileage they have even more flexibility. Key is to be cordial but persistent, and keep going up the chain of command until you find someone willing to work with you. If you act like a rick with a "p" in front of it you will get nowhere. That's any dealer, any issue.

Yea this essentially explains my experience. I went in for a diagnosis about noise coming from the rear, and after they said it was the bearings I asked for a quote. After finding out it was going to be about 900 for each wheel I just straight up asked the service guy if there was anything they could do to get it covered under warranty under the good faith clause even though mine had expired about a month before. He rang up to the dealership manager and explained what was going on, and the guy told him absolutely, and actually came down to check out my car and gave me a bunch of praise on the exhaust/headers. :driving:

1 - 20 of 59 Posts