Pontiac G8 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Board Lurker
200 Posts
Interesting
I have never received an airbag system warning light

But I was hauling a passenger the other day. He is maybe 150-170 pounds. I noticed on my rearview mirror the passenger airbag was OFF.

What is the criteria for minimum weight for the sensor in the seat? This concerned both of us.

·
LEADFOOT
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Interesting
I have never received an airbag system warning light

But I was hauling a passenger the other day. He is maybe 150-170 pounds. I noticed on my rearview mirror the passenger airbag was OFF.

What is the criteria for minimum weight for the sensor in the seat? This concerned both of us.
I think I read a thread where a guy used weights to see the exact number and I want to say it was right around 70lbs.

But I do know that if the passenger is sitting in an odd position, the airbag indicator will show off; seems like the person has to be sitting in the correct position for the sensor to register there is a person of said weight for the srs system to be enabled.

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
^^^^^ You are correct on all of that. I remember posting that test a couple of years ago. I just tried it again, and the switchover weight required still seems to be about 65 to 70 lbs (in my car). I then tested various sitting locations on the seat using myself. An sure enough, if you offload to much of the weight towards the outer areas of the seat, it defaults back to the *air bag off* condition. That *stitched square* portion of the seat has to see at least the 65 to 70 lbs of the total weight, to have the air bag function go active. Nice checking you did there.

·
LEADFOOT
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
^^^^^ You are correct on all of that. I remember posting that test a couple of years ago. I just tried it again, and the switchover weight required still seems to be about 65 to 70 lbs (in my car). I then tested various sitting locations on the seat using myself. An sure enough, if you offload to much of the weight towards the outer areas of the seat, it defaults back to the *air bag off* condition. That *stitched square* portion of the seat has to see at least the 65 to 70 lbs of the total weight, to have the air bag function go active. Nice checking you did there.
Hey thanks for verifying GOPHERIT

·
LEADFOOT
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
The only code that I have is the loss communication one U0170

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Hey man, sucks to hear you're having an issue. Is that a code the dealer pulled? If so, it seems odd that is the only code that is available...makes me wonder if there is a connection issue or that for some reason you car hasn't pulled the code saying that the presence module has officially failed.

If that is a code that an auto shop pulled, I don't believe they can pull all codes that deal with specific abs faults, and only the dealership can.

I may be wrong about that, however I just think its odd that if your passenger presence module has in fact failed or the car has lost communication with it, that the other code isn't showing up for it. I would for sure go to the dealership and ask which parts need to be replaced, and get the quote from them with the exact part numbers.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yeah my mechanic up town put the scanner on it and that was the code it actually showed up twice but it doesn't alarm me every time that there's a fault mainly on the first start up

But yeah my mechanic looked it up and it told him to check the some harness by the water pump and we did and everything looked fine we put electric diod grease on the plugs just to be sure and it still goes on. If I turn my key into the on position and wait till the system checking is done them it normally comes on right after so yeah idk where to start

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
"blackedoutG8" >>>>> I know its interesting to have a U0170 fault code. But you don't say (if or any) system problem exists. Since that code is monitoring the front passenger presence module circuit, are you saying you have an Air Bag icon illuminated ? It does seem as thou you would have something like a B0081 code along with it. But since fault code/scanners available to consumers, can't read *B* codes, you would be unaware if there *are* any *B* codes present.
You could perform this no cost test, if the above applies. That being, you could remove the dedicated fuse assigned to the PPS module for a few seconds, then reinstall it, to see what the outcome might be. Its fuse F18-5A labeled AOS in the IP fuse box. Maybe there is a current locked in glitch going on at this time, and cycling the power to it,might restore communications and clear any other SRS fault code pending in that circuit (if you want).

·
LEADFOOT
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Yeah the airbag light does come on and on the heads up display it said air bag fault then I'll hit enter so it's not flashing then the light will stay on ..but yeah I need to do some trouble shooting

I'd put money on it if you were to go to the dealership and have them scan you're codes the other code would show up for sure. What you're describing is exactly what happens when there is a passenger presence module failure.

I know it sucks to have to pay to just get it diagnosed, but you could call around to different dealerships (if there are multiple around) and see who charges the least. My dealership only charged 27 bucks to have it diagnosed, and I got the exact part numbers of the parts to be replaced. If your diagnostic finds and throws the exact codes that I had, you can get this all done for about 450 bucks and an hour of your time, and not have to play the guessing game trying to determine what exactly the issue is.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The U0170 code said that lost communication w/restraint sensor A my mechanic thought it was one of the impact sensors up front because the computer said to check a harness by the water pump but I'm still going to get it hooked up by a dealer because I do think it's what your saying with the B code

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sorry to resurrect this from the dead, but I'm having an issue after fixing my failed passenger presence sensing module. After replacing the PPS module myself and having the dealership program it, my airbag light now flashes instead of being lit solidly like it was prior to the reprogram. Also, the DIC no longer gives me an airbag fault when I start the car. The tech wrote on my invoice, “SDM is not setting any fault codes, and the air bag mil is commanded off, but the cluster continues to flash the mil”. They disconnected the battery at the dealership for a couple minutes; I did the same when I got home for a couple hours to no avail.

The dealership wanted to charge me another $100 to troubleshoot it on top of the $100 I paid to have the PPS module reprogramed. They told me they thought it may be an issue with the cluster.

I also had the airbag recall done recently, though I had that recall performed AFTER I had already gotten the airbag fault light caused by the failed PPS module. For some reason, I thought the recall might fix the airbag fault. They checked the codes at the same time I had the recall done and that’s when I first learned the PSS module failed. I’ve read that if the recall isn’t done correctly it can cause the symptoms I’m experiencing, i.e. a blinking airbag light. I’m thinking that may be my issue and that the failed PPS module codes have been masking an issue that’s been there ever since I had the recall done.

This thread is where I read about others having similar issues.

http://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54128

Can anyone else confirm they experienced issues similar to this following having the airbag recall performed? I’d like to know before I go and try and have my dealership redo my airbag recall for free…

·
LEADFOOT
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Sorry to resurrect this from the dead, but I'm having an issue after fixing my failed passenger presence sensing module. After replacing the PPS module myself and having the dealership program it, my airbag light now flashes instead of being lit solidly like it was prior to the reprogram. Also, the DIC no longer gives me an airbag fault when I start the car. The tech wrote on my invoice, “SDM is not setting any fault codes, and the air bag mil is commanded off, but the cluster continues to flash the mil”. They disconnected the battery at the dealership for a couple minutes; I did the same when I got home for a couple hours to no avail.

The dealership wanted to charge me another $100 to troubleshoot it on top of the $100 I paid to have the PPS module reprogramed. They told me they thought it may be an issue with the cluster.

I also had the airbag recall done recently, though I had that recall performed AFTER I had already gotten the airbag fault light caused by the failed PPS module. For some reason, I thought the recall might fix the airbag fault. They checked the codes at the same time I had the recall done and that’s when I first learned the PSS module failed. I’ve read that if the recall isn’t done correctly it can cause the symptoms I’m experiencing, i.e. a blinking airbag light. I’m thinking that may be my issue and that the failed PPS module codes have been masking an issue that’s been there ever since I had the recall done.

This thread is where I read about others having similar issues.

http://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54128

Can anyone else confirm they experienced issues similar to this following having the airbag recall performed? I’d like to know before I go and try and have my dealership redo my airbag recall for free…
I would say the tech missed a step in the update/recall. If it were me, I'd go to that thread you posted, and print off the pages that directly mention your problem, and take them to the dealer with the attitude that you realize they messed up, but all you want is the issue fixed.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I just started having this issue & I have a couple of questions:

1) If I install the passenger seat sensor myself, what service am I supposed to tell the dealer to perform to "marry" it to the car?
2) I never had the airbag recall done. Should this be done prior to servicing the passenger seat sensor or after?

Thanks...Scott

·
LEADFOOT
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I just started having this issue & I have a couple of questions:

1) If I install the passenger seat sensor myself, what service am I supposed to tell the dealer to perform to "marry" it to the car?
2) I never had the airbag recall done. Should this be done prior to servicing the passenger seat sensor or after?

Thanks...Scott

Hey Scott,

All you simply have to tell the service tech is that you have installed the new module, and that it needs to be programmed to your vehicle. The tech should be able to figure out the rest from there, and with there being a code to read that says what the issue is, that will simplify it for them for sure.

The airbag recall is a completely different thing, but all it essentially is, is an updated program that releases the airbag sooner in the event of a crash. The tech could do both in the same trip without issue.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Hey Scott,

All you simply have to tell the service tech is that you have installed the new module, and that it needs to be programmed to your vehicle. The tech should be able to figure out the rest from there, and with there being a code to read that says what the issue is, that will simplify it for them for sure.

The airbag recall is a completely different thing, but all it essentially is, is an updated program that releases the airbag sooner in the event of a crash. The tech could do both in the same trip without issue.
Thanks!

One more question: have there been multiple success stories of people swapping the module without removing the seat? I read the one account of a person doing it but it seems awfully tight and I'm wondering if others have had success using that method as well.

Thanks again...Scott

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just replaced the module, took about 5 mins.

1. Disconnect negative battery terminal.

2. Look under front of passenger seat for two silver bolts, one of each side, remove those.

3. Carefully tip seat back from here you'll have plenty of room to unplug and remove the module

·
CCG8 Member
1,599 Posts
Just replaced the module, took about 5 mins.

1. Disconnect negative battery terminal.

2. Look under front of passenger seat for two silver bolts, one of each side, remove those.

3. Carefully tip seat back from here you'll have plenty of room to unplug and remove the module
Thanks, just did the same, took no time at all to swap out the part.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts