Pontiac G8 Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Thanks, just did the same, took no time at all to swap out the part.
Did you have to take it to dealer to get reprogrammed?

·
CCG8 Member
1,599 Posts
Did you have to take it to dealer to get reprogrammed?
I still need to have it zeroed out, I know someone who can do it for me (he pulled the codes ahead of time also), otherwise it would be a trip to the dealer.

I got the part from GM Parts Center for $295 shipped.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
So it's still reading fault until you fix reprogram?

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
How much do they charge to can your car f or this

·
CCG8 Member
1,599 Posts
Depends on the dealer but figure an hour for diag time. If it turns out to be the sensor, see what they'd charge to re-zero it after you replace it.

I know someone with access to a Tech II so he scanned it for me and is gonna re-zero it this weekend for me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does anyone happen to know the GM part no. for the bracket that holds the passenger presence module? My dealer wrote down 922207980 but that doesn't come up as anything when I search for it. My module and sensor are both dead and I've found those parts but the bracket is apparently broken as well so I'm trying to find that part and just order everything at once. (Dealer wants like 100% more for each part basically)

·
Registered
72 Posts
TILT the seat to replace the module

With just over 20k miles on the G8, the air bag light started to illuminate on cold days, then working up to lighting up every day.When a second car had the air bag light on, I invested $100 in a hand held scanner. The codes from the g8 indicated the problem with the Passenger Presence Module. I found a used one on ebay for $125. It looked like it came from a flood car. Moving the seat all the way back (thanks Passenger Seat mod), and removing the two seat nuts allowed enough tilt to access the module, and perform the R & R. The air bag light is now off, and if I sit in the passenger seat, the passenger airbag "ON" light is lit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi there fellow G8 lovers, I’ve had the same issue with my 09. I’Il jump ahead to where I’m at right now. I did a bunch of research and reading prior to finally taking the first step in repairing this myself. The first module I ordered was cancelled due to zero inventory and due to GM strike, none was planned to arrive. Tried another online store and 2 days later got an email telling me that the part number didn’t match the vin I supplied them. I ordered a 92225595 and found after some research that this part number was for a leather seat and a 92225594 was the correct part for my cloth seats. Thank you Elizabeth for enlightening me to the mistake I unknowingly made. Never thought there would be 2 different numbers for a PPM. Anyway, the correct part was out of stock. I decided to go a different route and find a cloth passenger seat from a salvage yard and pray for the best. I literally just got home about 30 minutes ago with a decent cloth seat and high hopes that this will provide me a viable way around the big expense involved with this fix. This module shouldn’t need zeroed out/reprogrammed because it came out of a running vehicle. I did inquire at the salvage yard about their G8 stockpile and was told they have quite a bit of parts cars for us to purchase parts from if needed. Gonna have dinner and see what I can accomplish. I’ll post more later as I progress. The salvage yard is A. Malinish Auto Wreckers (724) 238-4080 in Ligonier PA and they are a great group of people. This is not a pick-a-part yard, call them or look up what you need on car-part.com. Hope this info will help someone with this issue.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Hi there fellow G8 lovers, I’ve had the same issue with my 09. I’Il jump ahead to where I’m at right now. I did a bunch of research and reading prior to finally taking the first step in repairing this myself. The first module I ordered was cancelled due to zero inventory and due to GM strike, none was planned to arrive. Tried another online store and 2 days later got an email telling me that the part number didn’t match the vin I supplied them. I ordered a 92225595 and found after some research that this part number was for a leather seat and a 92225594 was the correct part for my cloth seats. Thank you Elizabeth for enlightening me to the mistake I unknowingly made. Never thought there would be 2 different numbers for a PPM. Anyway, the correct part was out of stock. I decided to go a different route and find a cloth passenger seat from a salvage yard and pray for the best. I literally just got home about 30 minutes ago with a decent cloth seat and high hopes that this will provide me a viable way around the big expense involved with this fix. This module shouldn’t need zeroed out/reprogrammed because it came out of a running vehicle. I did inquire at the salvage yard about their G8 stockpile and was told they have quite a bit of parts cars for us to purchase parts from if needed. Gonna have dinner and see what I can accomplish. I’ll post more later as I progress. The salvage yard is A. Malinish Auto Wreckers (724) 238-4080 in Ligonier PA and they are a great group of people. This is not a pick-a-part yard, call them or look up what you need on car-part.com. Hope this info will help someone with this issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes it did.... at least so far. The part numbers were the same from my defective part and the replacement part. I didn't run the car, just did a srs airbag scan and it said that the system check passed and no codes were present. I'll find out for sure tomorrow when i go to work. Sorry about delay in posting from the seat purchase date until now, went on a short vacation. I'm pretty confident it will be fine now. I didn't take the seat out to swap parts either, just leaned under and popped the tabs up, played around with the connectors a little bit to get them free and out it came. Reversal for installing the new controller. Was done it about 15 minutes. Make sure to disconnect negative on battery before removing anything. I'll check back to see how it worked for you. Any other questions, please ask. Good luck. If you try car-part.com you may find a seat closer than you'd expect. Just remember to get a controller for the same type of seating you already have... cloth or leather. Don't know if it makes a difference as far as part functionality, but i was not taking any chances.

·
Registered
5 Posts

My original is on the left, replacement is on the right above the keys.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Happy to hear you got one coming to you. Moving forward, no more airbag default warning and I’m a happy camper. Discover the easiest way to remove the module by simply flipping the seat over and be gentle with the wires and stuff. I had to tinker with it a little, but I did not cut the white cloth connecting the seat material to the frame or unbolt the seat from my car. Everything was done in place and it works perfectly. Just remember to disconnect the negative battery cable before starting the removal. Good luck and let us know how it works out, please.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
The seat arrived today and in excellent shape as described. It even had the updated airbag control module on it. The module appeared to be new, like it had been recently replaced. I changed it out like you described and my car is fixed. No trip to the dealer or re calibrating needed. I also got an extra decent passenger seat in the process, all for much less than a new module.

·
Registered
5 Posts
That is awesome, happy it worked out for you as it did for myself. How much was your total for the fix ? i was in for $132.00 + time and a little effort. Honestly, it took more time to drive to the salvage yard to get the seat than it did to swap the controllers out. Happy (y)🚘. Next is to get the seat belt cable recall performed...

41 - 59 of 59 Posts