Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Original owner of a Blue 2009 G8 GT. I've had this car for 10 years and I think I want to get something new. I'm wondering what I might be able to get for it if I sell it as a private party. One of those trade-in sites indicated it's worth about $11,600 - $13,925 for "average" condition at this mileage and trim. Car has about 80k miles, with the front bumper splitting open again (it was not a great repair) from parking over curbs many years ago. Have some paint damage on a door from a bird that crapped on it which was really annoying. Also other minor paint chips and scratches on the hood and bumper and other areas, but those two things are the major blemishes on the body.

As for the interior, the headliner fell down and I stapled it back up because an upholstery shop said they have to take off my windshield to put a new one back in without folding it so I said to hell with it. Also have some "wear damage" on the driver seat leather closest to the door from getting in and out of the car a million times. Some of the interior plastic trim is showing some signs of age, probably due to the hot summers here. But it's not terribly obvious.

The car is stock, no serious drive train mods and has not had any mechanical issues other than the throttle body throwing an error and going into limp mode one time months ago, but I have not seen the issue repeated since then. The error code is still in there; I didn't clear it. Only "mod" is I added a hidden hitch for hauling small light load trailers for landscaping, but it can be taken off. Stock wheels and Nitto Motiva tires that are just about needing to be replaced (except for 1 which the tire shop replaced under warranty). Also have full spare stock wheel in the trunk.

What do you think this car is worth in this condition? If I sell this privately, what's the best way to go about it (web site recommendations)? What things are worth fixing up to get maximum value for the car. Should I just trade in and be done with it? I know some cheap body shop guys that could fix the damage but I honestly haven't sold a car privately before since the cars I had before this were all POS so I just traded them in.

Thanks for any insight on this. It was a great car and I really loved it. I'm family man now and I think I'm ready to get something a little bigger for kids and a bit more up to date. I'm not really a mechanic sort of person that can fix up old cars but I'm sure someone can mod and fix this puppy up to their specs.

·
Premium Member
4,658 Posts
A lot is contingent on how quickly you would like to sell and how much you expect to get for the vehicle. Selling as is might be a viable option, but could negate a higher asking price. Making minor aesthetic repairs gives the impression of a well-maintained vehicle (not saying it isn't). Would fix the most glaring issues such as the headliner and would try to locate a different upholstery shop. A good detail and wax does wonders for a paint job. The prospective buyer will have to understand they are purchasing a nearly decade old vehicle that will have signs of normal wear and tear. Essentially, don't expect a garage queen for pennies on the dollar. Bear in mind, repairs may not necessarily add to the value of the vehicle, just make it easier to sell. Good luck

·
Chronically Undefined
46 Posts
Without seeing pics (but I appreciate the detailed description), I would estimate around 12k also. Good miles, but lots of things bringing it down from the price you'd pay for a near-perfect one. I would definitely recommend cleaning it up and advertising it yourself, with all that info in the ad. As a buyer I'm much more likely to pursue buying a car if I can see the seller is being upfront about everything right away.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In case anyone is interested, Carmax offered me $8500. Needless to say, I think I will be selling privately. Said it will go to auction since it has paintwork on some panels, damaged bumper. headliner tacked up and a hitch installed. I will be taking that off and fixing the headliner. I'm hoping the upholsterer that said he replace it without windshield removal can do a good job getting it in through the door, because it looks really bad as is.

I can only find 1 or 2 listings in the entire area and another dealer told me that people are on the look out for these cars and said it's not worth trading it in.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Carmax is a RIP off. Don't buy a car from them unless you go through it. They glue shyt back together to get it out the door. Guy I know told me about a car that got bumper damage. They glued it to the fender. The glue does not come off without being cut off.
They also shortcut maintenance.
Just this past year I've had two offers in parking lots running around town.
As said before clean up the few minor cosmetic issues and car will sell even with minor paint blemishes. At the least you'll get the low end off value. Price it a little higher knowing you'll come down a little to the price you really feel good about.
If it's really never been modded it's a gear heads car for sure to get at that mileage.
Nothing like a virgin at that age.

·
Registered
896 Posts
I'd say 12k is probably a good price.

·
Registered
46 Posts
In case anyone is interested, Carmax offered me $8500. Needless to say, I think I will be selling privately. Said it will go to auction since it has paintwork on some panels, damaged bumper. headliner tacked up and a hitch installed. I will be taking that off and fixing the headliner. I'm hoping the upholsterer that said he replace it without windshield removal can do a good job getting it in through the door, because it looks really bad as is.

I can only find 1 or 2 listings in the entire area and another dealer told me that people are on the look out for these cars and said it's not worth trading it in.
Carmax offered me 9500 and my car is almost flawless besides a ding in the drivers rear door. I plan on selling mine in the spring after paint correction and full detail. I thougt I would try carmax since I have seen them sell a few GTs for 20k plus comparable to mine. F them.

·
Slowly gaining acceptance
419 Posts
Carmax offered me 9500 and my car is almost flawless besides a ding in the drivers rear door. I plan on selling mine in the spring after paint correction and full detail. I thougt I would try carmax since I have seen them sell a few GTs for 20k plus comparable to mine. F them.

What were you anticipating them offering you for your car?

·
Premium Member
4,629 Posts
Rule of thumb:
Get a quote from CarMax and add a couple grand and you will have a good idea what it’s worth.

·
Slowly gaining acceptance
419 Posts
Rule of thumb:
Get a quote from CarMax and add a couple grand and you will have a good idea what it’s worth.

Why go to CarMax though? There are so many ways to get an idea on pricing without going some place where you're going to come away feeling insulted. The latest version of this is Carvana, which will supposedly do the whole offer thing online, and if you accept their offer they'll just show up with a truck and a check.

There is always going to be a disconnect between trade-in value and private or dealer asking price.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I think as of today, I will not sell mine. Sometimes I feel like I wanted to (feeling behind the tech), but getting on monthly payments and not able to find a proper replacement is keeping me away.

Perhaps I end up garaging the G8 and get me a Charger. So far, to me is the closest match after driving few of them.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Agreed, so far the Charger looks like the best replacement for the G8 although I'm not done with mine yet.
I haven't bothered test driving one yet. The tech thing doesn't bother, me just more stuff I can't/don't/won't understand....

·
Premium Member
4,629 Posts
Why go to CarMax though? There are so many ways to get an idea on pricing without going some place where you're going to come away feeling insulted. The latest version of this is Carvana, which will supposedly do the whole offer thing online, and if you accept their offer they'll just show up with a truck and a check.

There is always going to be a disconnect between trade-in value and private or dealer asking price.
They’re easy to deal, easy to get to, and you can look at cars while you’re there. And having a person look at the car in person gives you a better idea. I’ve done it several times and don’t feel insulted at all. I just know what to expect.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I took my headliner down and out the rear door, scraped all the old fabric and foam off, brought it to an upholstery shop who recovered it for $150 and I put it back in. Not a terrible job but it wasn't my first headliner rodeo either. Most places wanted $400-$600 if I just drop off the car.

·
Premium Member
4,658 Posts
Based solely on the image, it appears both front seats were reclined back and not removed.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts