Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, my cam isn't the biggest - 224/232 114 LSA. In park it has a great lumpy idle. Once it goes in gear and the converter loads up, the idle is quite smooth. Any tuning tips? I've tried removing some fuel at that MAP but it pushes on the brakes too much.

·
Registered
35 Posts
As a rough guide because its been a while since ive opened HP tuners, chop can be changed by adjusting idle integral rpm, idle underspeed and overspeed tables for in gear and proportional rpm. Look up how to make a stock G8 lope and it should help you achieve the sound. My car is a lot like you describe, not as much lope at idle but i like it a little smoother

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Stromboli, it helped a little. A converter will probably help too as there's less load.
MGMGXP you obviously don't have any ideas or know how to assist with my query.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
What is more important. Drive ability or trying to look cool. I would rather win a race than just sound radical. Want a lumpy idle, get rid of the FI and buy a carb.

Reactions: Slizzo

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
Thanks Stromboli, it helped a little. A converter will probably help too as there's less load.
MGMGXP you obviously don't have any ideas or know how to assist with my query.
I dunno, I think the guy with a 9sec G8 has a few ideas.

Just finds it silly to try to implement them as they don't really gain you anything, and potentially hurt things you like about the car.

Reactions: MGMGXP

·
Premium Member
5,300 Posts
MGMGXP is pretty knowledgeable and you kinda sorta have to overlook the sarcasm or as they say farther north have "thick skin".

Reactions: MGMGXP

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm really not sure if you guys are understanding my question. I'm not after anyone's opinion on whether I should do it or not, it's a genuine technical question. In park the idle is lumpy - even if I tried to smooth it out I can't, it's naturally lumpy. In gear it doesn't want to lope naturally and I'm curious as to why? Is it due to tuning, is it due to the cam being too small or is it due to converter load up like I'm assuming. I hardly drive the car so drive-ability isn't a concern right now, just after some facts on why it does this. I'm not after sarcasm, just facts. Cheers.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
What is your idle speed and you on the stock convertor? Mine is on the stock TC and lumps at idle and in gear.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts