Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Alexander Haig
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Posting pics can not only enhance your thread and show off your ride but also is a requirement in our For Sale section. Many members throw up their hands when asked to post a pic but it is really quite simple and you do have several options.

There are several 'free' picture and video hosting websites. Join one or more, upload your pics to that host and link to that pic in your post. Imageshack, Photobucket, Tinypic, eSnips, snapfish to name a few.

Our forum offers several built-in avenues to do this as well avoiding some of the pitfalls sometimes associated with those sites.

* We still offer a built-in link to fquick, a hosting site where you can create an album and a link will appear under ytour username (look for it as an option in your userCP)

* We still offer the gallery for members to upload pics into at our sister site, www.g8forum.com where you can join for free, upload pics (and join initimate discussions) and link them here.

* Community Members (with 20 posts) can upload attachments directly from their computer into any of their posts. Look for the button that says "manage attachments" below the edit box.

* Most members have the option (since our recent software upgrade) to create an album with pics right here, in their userCP.

Now, that you have a pic hosted off or on site how do you get it to show up in yoru post? Look for the icon for a setting (rising) sun/moon over two mountains (who knows really what it is supposed to be or why it has yellow background). Right clicking that will show a popup window with an address line to paste the address of your pic you want posted. Where do you find that address to paste? From the properties of th epic you are linking. Here is how to do that: First, open th epic you want to post, whether it is you rown or one from a public site. Right click on teh pic, select properties and a url address will appear taht is teh actual physical place on teh web that the pic resides (even if in your album on our forum). Copy the entire address (it may be more than one line long and usually ends in a postfix for the type of image file it is) Now click on that imgage insertion icon in your post edit window, paste the entire address in place and your image should be linked. Preview if you wish to be sure. Alternately simply paste the address into your post and add IMG and /IMG bracketed tags surrounding the image address.

If you have the ability to directly upload attachments into posts (they appear as thumbnails) they also can be separately linked within the post to show in image form.

So it does not have to as comlicated as it at first may seem, especially since we offer so many options from within our site that do not even require joining another non-G8 related site.

Tip: jpeg or jpg files work the best, if you are uploading to your computer from a camera.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
I am having problems posting pictures.When I get the url address typed and hit ok the picture appears in my message, but disappears when I post it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'm actually writing a full tutorial with pictures right now, probably to be posted Monday.

Whitey, without having any more information I don't know that I could help. Where are you hosting the images?

Edit: you can find the tutorial right here in this thread

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
pictures

the album on g8board

·
Registered
125 Posts
Well, in that case, you should be able to go to your album, click on the picture you want to post, and scroll down and copy the text out of the BBCode box below your picture. Then all you (should) have to do is paste that text into your forum post.

Just to test and make sure it's actually working here's an image out of one of my albums and an image from your album along with the actual text I put into the reply form.

Code:
[PLAIN][IMG]http://www.g8board.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=69&pictureid=601[/IMG][/PLAIN]

Code:
[PLAIN][IMG]http://www.g8board.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=164&pictureid=675[/IMG][/PLAIN]

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
thank you, will try tomorrow,

·
Registered
125 Posts
Uploading Images Tutorials

Uploading Images Tutorials

So you just finished washing your G8 or you just finished the greatest mod and you want to show it off to everyone. You've already gotten your digital camera out and got some great shots and downloaded them onto your computer. Now what? How do you get those awesome images onto the forums for everyone else to admire? This tutorial aims to give you several options for getting those images out to the world and walking you through using each of the options.

First off, there are several different paths you can pursue. Here's a quick rundown of several:

• Attaching Images to Forum Posts
    • Advantages
      • Quick
      • Easy to use
    • Disadvantages
      • Have to click images to open them
      • Images are only available in one forum post
      • File size limitations
    • Limits
      • JPGs limited to 150k
  • Uploading Images to Forum Albums
    • Advantages
      • Easy to use
      • Images are always available on userpage
    • Disadvantages
      • Restrictive file size limitations for free members
      • Restrictive resolution limitations for free members
    • Limits
      • 600x600 px images at 97.7 kb for free members
      • 1920x1200 px images for premium and lifetime members
  • Uploading Images to Photobucket
    • Advantages
      • Loose file size limitations
      • Loose resolution limitations
    • Disadvantages
      • Somewhat time consuming
      • Images not available on userpage
    • Limits:
      • 1024 kb maximum file size for free members
As you can see each method has it's own advantages and disadvantages. Once you decide on which you want to use simply click on it to jump to the forum post containing that section of the tutorial.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Attaching Images to Forum Posts

Attaching Images to Forum Posts

Attaching images to forum posts is incredibly easy. The only drawback is you can't actually see the images in the forum post; you have to click on the attachments and open them in a new page/tab.

So, with that said, on to the Tutorial :)

Now, here we have our typical Quick Reply form. Unfortunately, if you want to attach an image, this form isn't going to cut it. To attach an image you'll have to head over to the Advanced Reply form. Click the Go Advanced button.

Now here we are where we can get some things done. Click the Paperclip Button

New get a popup window where we can actually start uploading our shiny images. Just click that Browse Button

This should look familiar to everyone. It's just your standard Windows file selection dialog (well, the Vista-flavored version anyways). Navigate around your computer, select the image you want to upload, and press the Open Button.

There's the path to our image. Let's hit that Upload Button to start transferring the file to the forums. This could take a few minutes if you have a big picture.

Look at that, everything worked and now our image is on the forums server now. Click that Close Window link.

And now we're back at the Advanced Reply form. From here you can scroll back up and edit your message some more, hit the Preview Post Button to make sure everything looks good, or hit Submit Reply (or Submit New Thread) Button.

Everything should be done! You should be looking a your new forum post or thread with your attached images. Here's a screenshot of one of GR8 Vino's posts with attached images for a reference to what you should be seeing.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Uploading Images to Forum Albums

Uploading Images to Forum Albums

Uploading images to your forum albums is incredibly easy and is something I recommend you do whether or not you intend to post your pictures in a forum thread. Once you upload the image it will always be available to anyone who visits your userpage. The only drawbacks are the file and resolution limitations for free users.

That being said, let's move on to the Tutorial.

Here we have the Navigation Bar. It appears near the top of every page on the forums. Click the Albums link.

Now you should see a list of all your existing albums. Likely, if you're following this tutorial, you won't have any albums created yet. Click one of the Add Album links

There are a couple of parameters you can fill in here but the only required one is the album title. Type a name for the album in the Title Box and then click the Submit Button

Now we're looking at your new album but, look, it doesn't have any images in it! Click the Click Here to Upload Pictures! link

Click the Browse Button

This should look familiar to everyone. It's just your standard Windows file selection dialog. Navigate around your computer, select the image you want to upload, and press the Open Button.

We've picked the images we want to upload right now. We can hit the Upload Pictures Button to start uploading them

Here you can enter a description for your image if you want. Just click the Save Changes Button to finish up

And now we're back at your album where you can see your freshly uploaded images. Click on the picture you want to put in a forum post

Here's your picture full-size. If you look towards the bottom you'll see two text boxes: Picture URL and BB Code. Copy the text in the BB Code box and paste it into your message

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I have thrown up my hands in vain a million times trying to upload pics from my computer. I guess the files are too big but what the hell one more try.

Well what do you know it worked, this was from a 3 megapixle camera. Time to try a one from a 10.

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
Oh, I forgot to mention that I've had problems uploading very large images to the forums. I'll get the Photobucket tutorial posted today or tomorrow. If your image is too large they'll automatically resize it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
No problem, Morris, I'm happy to help :)

I'm working on the Photobucket tutorial now, hopefully it will be up soon. With Photobucket you won't have to worry about uploads failing for very large pictures like it can do when uploading to the forums.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Uploading Images to Photobucket

Uploading Images to Photobucket

Uploading images to photobucket requires you go to their website and sign up for a free account, upload your images, and then

copy them into your forum posts. It's a little more time-consuming than attaching images or uploading them to your forum album

but you may upload very large images; something that can fail when uploading to the forum.

Well, let's move on to the Tutorial.

First we have the main page at Photobucket. This is the first thing you'll see when you get there. Click the Join Now Link.

Now we need to pick a username and password. Enter your desired username and password and then click the Next Step Button

Photobucket wants your personal info. I have never had any problem with them spamming me or selling my email address to

spammers but I know some people are super paranoid (I'm only regular paranoid) so I tested it and you should be fine giving

fake names and addresses. Enter your personal information (or fake information) and click the I accept. Sign me up! Button

Special Offers, AKA: advertising! Ignore all of this! Scroll down and click the Skip Button

Now you should be at your main album. Let's get those photo's uploaded. Click the Choose Files Button

This should look familiar to everyone. It's just your standard Windows file selection dialog. Navigate around your computer,

select the image you want to upload, and press the Open Button.
You can select multiple files at once if you want.

Watch those little progress bars as your images upload and then we're sent to a page where we can tile our picture and add other information. Everything on this page is optional. Enter any information you want and then click the return to album Button

And now we're back at the main album where you should see all the images you just uploaded. Move the mouse pointer over the image you want to put into your forum post

When you hover your mouse pointer over that image you should an information popup below it. Click on the IMG Code text box and copy the text inside and then paste that text into your forum post Your image should appear for everyone to see :)

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Whenever I try to post pictures I get error. I have exceeded capacity. If I go to manage attachments page and do not do any thing there is a green line saying I have exceeded storage. Any suggestions

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hmm, that's a new one for me (then again I haven't posted a lot of pictures). As a lifetime member you should have tons of space to play around with before you hit the 500 image/50 megabyte limit. It sounds like something you might have to talk to the forum owners about. Until then you could try setting up a Photobucket account.

I wish I could be more helpful :dunno:

·
Registered
125 Posts
It was probably because you were still a 'Junior Member'. Once you hit twenty posts you become a 'Member' and get access to some things like posting attachments.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts