Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again guys ..

How to recognize If the hood of my Pontiac G8 is a genuine ?

Thanks ,,

·
Premium Member
4,324 Posts
Attached to my hood (just forward of the passenger side hinge), is the assembly line factory sticker with the cars assigned VIN #. If none found, I suppose it still could be original but painted over or ripped off. Or if there is a VIN # but different from your car in the same place, it most likely is a factory part.(obviously from another G8) I don't know if there actually is any after market vendor(s) that would actually try to make a factory looking metal hood (as a replacement for the OEM version), but I suppose there could be. There are some established vendors out there that make modified hoods for the G8, like different shapes, vent location for function, as well as different materials.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Attached to my hood (just forward of the passenger side hinge), is the assembly line factory sticker with the cars assigned VIN #. If none found, I suppose it still could be original but painted over or ripped off. Or if there is a VIN # but different from your car in the same place, it most likely is a factory part.(obviously from another G8) I don't know if there actually is any after market vendor(s) that would actually try to make a factory looking metal hood (as a replacement for the OEM version), but I suppose there could be. There are some established vendors out there that make modified hoods for the G8, like different shapes, vent location for function, as well as different materials.

Can you show me photo ?

·
Premium Member
4,324 Posts
^^^^^ NO ----- I don't own a camera or how to even post pictures. For sure, each attached component to the car came down the assembly line with one of those stickers showing the VIN # attached to it at some location. Like on the passenger side of the trunk lid, forward side of the passenger doors, aft facing side of the B pillar on the drivers side, etc.
Open up all your doors, hood, trunk lid, etc. Look at all the painted metal surfaces you can see. Any, an all attached VIN tags should match. If not, you own a cobbled toghther car bud.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did not find part number or anything that prove the hood if it is genuine or not .

·
Premium Member
4,324 Posts
If you found VIN stickers on other parts of the car (an their VIN # matches your registration VIN #) your doing good. If no sticker on the hood (forward of the passenger side hinge assy an aft of the hood hold open strut), it may be an OEM hood from another car. If that happened, an it was painted to match the rest of the car, maybe they removed the sticker or painted over it. Take a magnet to it. If it latches to it, you know you have a metal hood. If the 2 scoops near the leading edge of the hood appear normal, that would be another good indication. Is the underside hood liner pad looking good an intact ? If you can see the underside stamped steel stiffener glued on (pretty much covering the whole hood), that would be good. I suppose if none of these apply, you've drifted into the pot luck zone.

·
Registered
264 Posts
20200322_183952.jpg

Some regurgitation here, sorry
Original stickers
IF it is there and matches, your hood is original.
If it not,,,,,,,, means nothing
Could be ,
Original but missing due to repaint,
Missing just cuzz
Replaced with factory hood
Replaced with jobber hood

1 - 7 of 7 Posts