21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hey guys,

Just for reference to do this all you need is a T9 torx screw driver.

When pulling off the stereo it is not as simple as it is shown in the video. I had to put some serious muscle into it and ended up breaking two clips. These clips are called "radio retainer" and you can order them on GM parts direct for about 4 bux.

When i got everything apart, I superglued the broken plastic pieces back in place and then put a small strip of self adhesive foam on the back of the hazard button so that it will push against the metal back plate and not put more strain on the pieces i super glued.

Good luck guys.

·
Registered
183 Posts
No kidding. Scary hard. Found a vid clip. Helped me trust that I wasn't going to break something.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEwgBHBD9QM

I glued the broken plastic female screw bits of the switch housing with model cement and also braced the back of the screws with some tape. Basically, I folded up two pieces of painters tape sticky side out, to a thickness so that the screws would be squished against the metal back plate, via the wad of tape.
Video was extremely helpful.. Saved myself over $1000 and a couple days without my car if i had taken it to my dealer :wiggle:

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
guess this is what happened to my button , odd thing is ive never used it and one day it was sunk in :(

·
Registered
183 Posts
guess this is what happened to my button , odd thing is ive never used it and one day it was sunk in :(
Bummer. You should take care of it considering it is a safety issue. It's one of those things that you rarely use but when something happens, you'll want your button to be operational. Just my opinion

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Bummer. You should take care of it considering it is a safety issue. It's one of those things that you rarely use but when something happens, you'll want your button to be operational. Just my opinion
yeah , it does still work , just takes a bit more effort , bet i scared the guy behind me when i noticed it was sunk in and i pushed the button to see what happened , happened to be on the freeway at speed , lol

its been added to the list of repairs and things to change on the car

·
Registered
183 Posts
yeah , it does still work , just takes a bit more effort , bet i scared the guy behind me when i noticed it was sunk in and i pushed the button to see what happened , happened to be on the freeway at speed , lol

its been added to the list of repairs and things to change on the car
you probably spent more time looking/pushing at the button AT SPEED than on the road lol

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
you probably spent more time looking/pushing at the button AT SPEED than on the road lol
yeah i probably did , its kinda like trying to find another radio station , you just keep going tell OPPPPPSSSSSSSSSSSSS

lol

·
Registered
29 Posts
I had mine all apart today to install the Atari gauges.... main thing I learned is don't do this when its cold outside... now I am replacing the console trim and dash bottom due to snapped off plastic...

But at least the gauges work! LOL!

·
Registered
91 Posts
On mine where the screws screw in broke off
I thought about gluing it but I figured it would be too much work so all I did was cut a small piece of hose at an angle and it's been working great ever since

Hazard Button Fix by RyanGorges | Photobucket
Thank you, thank you, thank you! I had one of those foam pool noodles sitting around and wedged a piece of that foam behind the button, put the screws back in and works perfect! No glue or anything needed.

Live saver, since I've needed to use the hazards a few times in the last week due to some other mechanical issues. You rock!

·
Registered
73 Posts
I too took the plunge and pulled out the head unit, took out all the screws and used a piece of copper pipe insulation (similar to a pool noodle) and cut it into a wedge (triangle) shape that was just a little oversized so that the metal plate would slightly compress it. Put back all the screws and sprayed a little silicone lube on the clips and clicked it back in place. Works like a charm, thanks to this how-to it probably saved a bunch of time and money, not to mention the ability to say to my wife "I fixed it", so it frees up money for other G8 bits and pieces.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
I too took the plunge and pulled out the head unit, took out all the screws and used a piece of copper pipe insulation (similar to a pool noodle) and cut it into a wedge (triangle) shape that was just a little oversized so that the metal plate would slightly compress it. Put back all the screws and sprayed a little silicone lube on the clips and clicked it back in place. Works like a charm, thanks to this how-to it probably saved a bunch of time and money, not to mention the ability to say to my wife "I fixed it", so it frees up money for other G8 bits and pieces.
Glad to hear it. I am fixing another London area owner's today. *** NOTE*** It is way easier to get the faceplate out if the radio head was energized for around 30 min because it heats it up. Mine is in the car and waiting for use after repair. We got a meet coming up sometime in April as far as I know . I can PM you

·
Registered
73 Posts
Sounds good, should have the car out of mothballs and back on the road by then, thanks.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
can I get the link to the video. really need to fix my button. Thanks

why not SEARCH ? only a few good places to search for videos !!

why the hell are people so freakin lazy !!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: $omeoldguysG8

·
Registered
57 Posts
can I get the link to the video. really need to fix my button. Thanks

This video?

If this is the first time your faceplate is being removed it’ll be much harder than the video makes it look. Try to pull straight back as much as possible instead of upward. It may surprise you when it releases so try not to smash it against the shift knob.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts