Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Want to test out my summer wheels but have no tpms sensors installed. How do I temporarily turn off tpms? And then on again once I switch back?

Thanks

·
Registered
197 Posts
/\ Man is correct, without going to the dealer for a discussion/work each time.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That makes me sad.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
Yup, handled by the BCM. I don't have TPMS in my winter wheels, I just deal with the messages over the winter.

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have seen some guys make a tube from pvc pipe and caps, mount all 4 sensors into it. Air it up and throw it in the trunk

·
Registered
241 Posts
I have seen some guys make a tube from pvc pipe and caps, mount all 4 sensors into it. Air it up and throw it in the trunk
I've also heard of quite a few guys doing this. TPMS is so silly, yet another overstep by the government trying to protect people from themselves.

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
I thought the factory TMPS sensors go to "sleep" if not spinning to save battery life. So now that contraption in the trunk, you gonna go shake it every once in a while?

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
Thats just silly! If you're gonna buy new wheels and tires and plan to have 2 sets then plan to spend the money on the sensors.

As for the govt. mandate that these be installed on all vehicles you can thank the worthless soccer moms that just HAD to have an SUV because all her friends do but never took care of the damn thing, blew a tire and rolled her truck.

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
I have a programmer and a set of tpms sensors in each of my two sets of rims. Programming it is a snap!

You have to ask yourself, are you avoiding them to school the system, or are you seriously strapped where even price shopping could get you a painless set of four sensors for cheap is not something you'd consider doing?

For me, I ponyed up the $$ and no more worries, IPC codes, blinking lights, or TPMS system fail codes ever. The way it should be.

Good luck, op.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Hey Zep, does it need to be a fancy-shmancy TPMS activation tool like yours, or can it be a basic one? I see a couple on Amazon for around 60-90 bucks. The thought of just walking around and pressing a button is certainly nicer than messing around with the air pressure and then having to re-adjust them.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I reprogrammed my wheels last week after rotating the tires. Easiest procedure in the world. Took less than five minutes doing it the GM way.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I would strongly suggest not putting your sensors in a pressurized PVC tube. PVC loses strength very quickly as temperature goes up. For example, with a 2" schedule 40 PVC pipe at 35PSI, you're at 21% of the maximum rated opreating pressure (MAWP). If your car sits in the sun all day long and the trunk gets up to 120*F, you're at 50% of MAWP. At 140*F you're at 105% of MAWP; meaning you're over pressuring the PVC and in-line for a potential failure. Any defects in the PVC quickly lower your MAWP below the published standards - think gouges or nicks in the surface of the PVC, or chemical contact. It's probably unlikely a failure would happen, but the danger is there.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I reprogrammed my wheels last week after rotating the tires. Easiest procedure in the world. Took less than five minutes doing it the GM way.
^What he said. It is such a simple process.

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
Hey Zep, does it need to be a fancy-shmancy TPMS activation tool like yours, or can it be a basic one? I see a couple on Amazon for around 60-90 bucks. The thought of just walking around and pressing a button is certainly nicer than messing around with the air pressure and then having to re-adjust them.
Sure! I had some expiring "amazon bucks" to use up by a certain date, so my all-in-one is probably overkill, but I got it at a great price so I went for it.

^What he said. It is such a simple process.
I agree, however, my car absolutely refuses to do the "horn chirp let out air" method after the first tire, whereas the "learn via the device" method has been 100% flawless. I donno if some sensor or module (suspect RLDCLR module on back deck?) is whack on my car, but I've never had good luck with the procedure outlined in the users manual.

I would think that a "electrical tape to fix the 12 oclock blinking on the VCR" trick would have been suggested by now, but alas, we are very "to the point" here... ha ha ha

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I agree, however, my car absolutely refuses to do the "horn chirp let out air" method after the first tire, whereas the "learn via the device" method has been 100% flawless.
Ah, I see. Didn't know that part. Glad the new tool is working out. Hope to see you this spring at the Lakeview meet. Bring your Zeppy goodies.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts