Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Of course UPS waits till 7pm to show up just like they did with me headers lol. But I got it put on pretty quick. Sure made me nervous to drill a hole in this expensive piece of plastic. Used a pcv valve grommet to secure it. May get a chance to log friday and see what it's reading. 160* thermostat going in tomorrow, whenever UPS decides to make it my way.

·
Premium Member
4,924 Posts
Does installing a HSRK really help in this configuration with a OTR intake. I though the point of it was to locate the IAT sensor where its not getting heat from the radiator hose. On my car with the spectre the MAF housing basically sits on top of (and actually touches) the radiator house which would heat up the housing and in turn heat up the IAT sensor making it think the air coming in is hotter than it is. With this setup I dont see how the relocated IAT would see any different reading than IAT within the MAF housing.

Im not trying to be a douche Im just wondering if Im understanding things wrong. ..I just left my relocated IAT behind the headlight and not actually mounted in the intake.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have no actual proof of data but did a good deal of reading and others dropped their IAT readings from 50+* over ambient temps to within 10* of actual ambient temperatures. I would have liked to move it more forward than I did but Im not sure how to filter the sensor without just being behind the filter itself. Anyone with any further input or pictures feel free to input.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Yes I been logging the temps the temps can swing over 10deg c sitting at idle
When I first started the car and drive on the highway it's at 26c by the time I get off the highway it's 36c the maf is heat soaked
In traffic it can go up to 56c

·
Premium Member
2,191 Posts
I have the torque app on my SIII and it tells me the temp on my Volant CAI is only 86 degreese since relocation puts it in the snorkle. Geting the sensor out from under the hood seems like it makes a big differance.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Remember, the idea of HSRK is to eliminate the difference between the actual air temp in the intake from a heat soaked maf/iat sensor. The engine runs best when it know the actual temp of the air in the intake tubing. Putting the sensor in area not representative of the air in the intake, such as in grill or in front of filter, actually provides a false reading.

The objective is not to trick the ECM into a false, cooler temp, but to give it the accurate actual tempurature.

·
Premium Member
4,896 Posts
I have my HSRK with my VCM mounted before the filter. Basically right in the opening of the intake. It is just zip tied to that thick bunch of wires that runs right accross the top of the bumper. It sits directly in the path of the air coming through the grill.

I have had it set up like this for over a year. No issues at all with weather and always reads within two degrees ambient.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
for clarification, my reference to in front of the filter is for a roto or spectra where the sensor can be mounted in the air pickup a bit ways away in front of the filter.

The VCM air path is so short in front of the filter likely not a problem, mine is mounted right behind the filter.

Reality is, only the purist or uber performance person getting every little bit out of the motor may care. For most of us hobbyists, it's a discussion point.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So how do you guys mount it before the filter without getting it dirty and messing uo the reading?

·
Premium Member
4,896 Posts
So how do you guys mount it before the filter without getting it dirty and messing uo the reading?
In two years of being up there it hasn't been an issue. If an 02 sensor can get coated in carbon at temps of a bazzilion degrees I trust that my little IAT sensor can survive a little dust and 50-100 degree temps. Thing still looks new to me...

·
Registered
418 Posts
Yeti, can you post a quick pic. im trying to visualize how you have it.

·
Premium Member
4,896 Posts

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I mounted mine the same exact way this weekend lol
The car is much more responsive after putting it on

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Man I really thought about doing that but wasnt sure about not mounting behind a filter. May just have to plug my hole and try that

·
Premium Member
4,896 Posts
Man I really thought about doing that but wasnt sure about not mounting behind a filter. May just have to plug my hole and try that
Like I said before, my HSRK has been up there for about two years now with no issue. It still reads the same temps at the same speed it always has. :)

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Preciate the input man

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Mine is mounted in the drivers side of the VCM in front of the filter. My car can be heat soaked from sitting, and be within a few degrees of ambient in less that 2 miles of driving around town. I would say it works rather well.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.