Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
The Beast
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has tried this. Looks like it should be an exact fit, if you figure out what to do on the leading edge of the hood.

Quick edit with a google'd G8 picture, sorry for the sloppy work.

Thoughts, comments?

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Just wondering if anyone has tried this. Looks like it should be an exact fit, if you figure out what to do on the leading edge of the hood.

Quick edit with a google'd G8 picture, sorry for the sloppy work.

Thoughts, comments?
From what I have read yes but you need the entire front end, hood, bumper, fender.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
The Beast
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good lord, they are proud of those parts....

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Healthy downpayment on a new SS.

Personally I wouldn't do the fenders etc, just go find a used front fascia assembly.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
I would almost do the chevy ss front... would be much cheaper!!!

·
Registered
707 Posts
From what I have read yes but you need the entire front end, hood, bumper, fender.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Not really - unless you install the earlier HSV E1 that uses the Commodore SSV hood (without the vent). The HSV E2 & E3 as pictured (if you only want the bumper) only thing that needs to be interchanged with a G8 is the front bumper facia. HSV models are not finished out at the VE factory but at a seperate facility, and when they leave the dealership they MUST meet AU factory standards with bumpers and wheels (mostly recycled and reusable parts). The wheels on the car when sent comes with steel spares all around. Once arrived at Walkinshaw's shop they install suspension, brakes, engine upgrades (early E1 LS2 had a cam upgrade & E2/E3 LS3 installed) bumpers, fenders, interior, etc. I've seen photos of HSV using G8 (Special Edition) hoods and GT bumpers (in flat black) when leaving the factory and once removed the G8 bumpers went back to the VE plant while other parts were discarded. So hence, it comes with a G8 GT bumper and hood that would mean to save money they would probably use the same skirts and undertrays that our G8 uses for the E2/E3 conversion.

HOWEVER, unless you've got good friends in OZ or you really want to spend thousands for new its tough to make it happen. I've tried several times to buy used front bumpers, you can find them (used w/out accessories) for under $600 most of times they have been fixed from damage. Yet the shipping would be out of this world. I bought a HSV engine cover and it cost me $100 to ship it, so think about a bumper five times the size and extremely fragile - you can only guess. Then thats just for the bumper which doesn't include the plastic honeycomb inserts, or foglights/surroundings, or LEDs (cheapest seen for a set used was $1100). Then what happens if you hit a deer, skunk, or pull up too close to a curb? The price for something different is way belond what its worth.

I might try to get a used set of side flutes(vents) and see if I could get a body shop to work them into a set of fenders, which could be bought on ebay for under $200 each. I know the factory HSV fenders (guards) lower section is stamped and then welded together, but it's crazy to ship a HSV fender with a bigger hole in it for $3k more.

I'm sure the SS front would be pricy also - fenders, hood, lights, bumper, and thats not even knowing that it will mount to the same points on our G8.

Just go with a GXP bumper.

Attachments

·
Registered
707 Posts
HSV Factory Building Video

HSV Factory Video (now I remember where I saw our G8 bumpers)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5n4QctmzShk&feature=player_embedded#!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5n4QctmzShk&feature=player_embedded#!" title="View this video at YouTube in a new window or tab" target="_blank">YouTube Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5n4QctmzShk&feature=player_embedded#!"> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5n4QctmzShk&feature=player_embedded#!" /> ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.