Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals, i posted about 2 weeks ago about my acquisition of an 09 G8 GT. Shortly after taking it out for a spin (without the salesman chewing off my ear for the duration of the original test ride) I heard a growl when negotiating curves to the right, not like a tire but rather a hub bearing. Pissed off that my new to me car has problems (GM certified pre-owned checklist is equivalent to toilet paper, worse than the cheap sh*t at work kind). Well wouldn't you know it the dealer diagnosed the left front hub bearing (that was my first guess too) needed to be special ordered (no big we got a loaner) Kinda shocked though seeing how this used to be a Pontiac dealership. Picked the car up last friday night after repairs... same noise no better.. drop it off saturday morn.. Service manager calls me, They gotta get another bearing, there is a problem with the one they installed. anyhow enough chatter.

Has anyone had issues with hub bearings in these cars?
Has anyone had issues with new OEM bearings bad out the box?

I didn't find the right solution from the Internet.

-References
-http://www.g8forum.com/forums/f11/hub-bearings-48k-oem-part-born-broken-2289/

-explainer video

·
Registered
263 Posts
It is possible the hub bearing could have an issue at 48k miles. Some parts are just "born" better than others.

I somewhat doubt the new one was bad out of the box. A possibility is that they diagnosed the wrong bearing. Maybe they changed the left front and the problem was really at the right front. Had this happen once when I was a service writer at a high end dealership. It happens. Funny story, multiple techs (and the engineering support back at the factory) all diagnosed this growling noise as a transmission issue. Received a brand new transmission from the factory, changed it, growl was still there. Turns out it was a front hub bearing! Changed the hub bearing and it was resolved. But the customer also got a new transmission at the end of the day.

·
F1rehawk
723 Posts
Some bearings will be faulty from factory, already happened to me. Like Buzzard said, they could have also diagnosed the wrong bearing, who knows. I never bring my car to the dealership, you should find a reputable shop in your area instead, at least to get a second opinion.

Do you have some sort of 90 day warranty on your car? If not, you might want to check the Timken bearings from RockAuto. They sell them pretty cheap and I never had a problem with them. Once switched, they never failed again on any of my cars.

Hope that helps!

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
...Funny story, multiple techs (and the engineering support back at the factory) all diagnosed this growling noise as a transmission issue. Received a brand new transmission from the factory, changed it, growl was still there. Turns out it was a front hub bearing! Changed the hub bearing and it was resolved. But the customer also got a new transmission at the end of the day.
Sounds like many of my former dealership experiences and now go solely for warranty and/or recall work.

·
F1rehawk
723 Posts
It is possible the hub bearing could have an issue at 48k miles. Some parts are just "born" better than others.

I somewhat doubt the new one was bad out of the box. A possibility is that they diagnosed the wrong bearing. Maybe they changed the left front and the problem was really at the right front. Had this happen once when I was a service writer at a high end dealership. It happens. Funny story, multiple techs (and the engineering support back at the factory) all diagnosed this growling noise as a transmission issue. Received a brand new transmission from the factory, changed it, growl was still there. Turns out it was a front hub bearing! Changed the hub bearing and it was resolved. But the customer also got a new transmission at the end of the day.
Do they actually charge the customers when they make such a costly mistake and realize they messed up lol?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Do they actually charge the customers when they make such a costly mistake and realize they messed up lol?
Well this particular car was very new, and under warranty. So the customer is not charged.

I don't even want to comment on what would happen if it were out of warranty (customer pay). It could go many ways depending on the customer, service manager, cost of repair, etc.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
My car has made a noise in the left rear when I turn right and apply throttle (has to be somewhat aggressive) for some time now. I have never been able to figure it out. The car only has about 34k on it but who knows maybe it's the wheel bearing. I have not checked it because I'm not sure how.

I have not searched for a DIY or sticky yet. Sort of got tired of wrenching and just wanted to drive for a while. I figured if it blows up or melts down then I'll have it figured out. I wouldn't be suprised to have the lowest miles G8 with something to break though, it's the type of luck I have. Even the pan is starting to leak, I'm waiting to fix that until the cam goes in.

·
Premium Member
4,627 Posts
Might wanna move this thread out of the stereo/electronics area.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My car has made a noise in the left rear when I turn right and apply throttle (has to be somewhat aggressive) for some time now. I have never been able to figure it out. The car only has about 34k on it but who knows maybe it's the wheel bearing. I have not checked it because I'm not sure how.
Is there anyone who knows all these things ?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts