Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So quite a blunder on my part, I had to swap in a battery from my truck into my car. Somehow (maybe the beers from working on other projects) I installed the battery backwards. I grounded the positive post first, then when I put the positive wire on the negative post, it arc'd and probably fried something, hopefully just fuses. I checked the fuse panel next to the battery, only one was blown. I replaced it and heard the fuel pump prime, along with the cd player doing it's loud loading sounds. However I got the theft lock icon up, and my key is stuck in the ignition. The car is acting like it's stone dead save for the cd player sound (dead screen) and the red light theft icon. It was at the end of the day and I didn't have my power probe with me, so hopefully this week I can poke around with that and see what else went wrong. I checked all(?) 3 fuse panels (trunk, driver kick panel and underhood) and I couldn't find any other blown fuses. I even tried swapping around matching relays to see if anything worked. Nothing. Did I really fry something badly, or is there a little fuse somewhere I overlooked? The battery fuse block seems fine, although I might jump it with the power probe to ensure that it's good.

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
At this point, your saying you now have a GOOD correctly installed battery in there ? Your ignition key is stuck in the AUX position, if you rotate that key to the full on ignition position, nothing powers up, and if you try for an engine start, nothing happens ? It would be best to have a multimeter on hand to start checking power from the battery to those locations that the 12 volts "must" always be present.

·
Premium Member
4,529 Posts
A long time ago, inadvertently did this on a vehicle with battery cables long enough to reach both post with the battery installed backwards. Fortunately, doing so only required replacing the alternator which was peanuts considering what could have happened. Hopefully, finding the issue(s) won't be too difficult. Did you check the fusible links in the engine compartment fuse block as well? There are a number of fuses and relays related to the ignition, battery, and theft detterant system and perhaps one or more of them is the culprit. Although the other fuses are not blown, would verify that each one is recieving power i.e. a signal. Do you have a way to test the relays? At the end of the day, everyone makes mistakes and don't beat yourself up too ba over it. Good luck

·
Registered
11 Posts
At least you didn't try and start the car with the battery cables backwards. One of my most embarrassing shade tree mechanic blunders - not on the G8 fortunately.

As Pony Man said, look for any fusible links. Maybe there is one close to the battery? It's also possible one of the fuses doesn't look blown but is on closer inspection. Also may need to disconnect the battery again after checking all fuses for a hard reset of the ECU?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts