Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently my car has been acting weird, it started shaking like it wants to stall, when I hit the gas it doesn?t let it accelerate. Check engine light came on and gave me a p0300,p0301 which I know it?s misfires and I also got p0466 I need a little help

·
Registered
276 Posts
You still have DOD? If so you might be seeing a failing lifter

·
Registered
263 Posts
P0300 and P0301 are misfire codes. P0466 is an evap code. I might suggest you look for a broken hose, vacuum line, etc. It is possible that a large evap leak could lead to misfires.

Have you done any work to the car recently?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have not done any work on it since about a year ago. I changed out all the coils and spark plugs

·
Registered
276 Posts
When my DOD lifter took a crap on me it threw the misfire code and a bunch of other random codes. My advice is focus on the misfire code, see what cylinder is misfiring and hiw often. Don't chase the other codes till you figure out the misfire

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have been looking into the misfire it says it?s cylinder 1 so I changed the spark plug and it was burnt but it kept doing the shaking. I can also hear a loud clicking

·
Registered
276 Posts
Dod failure

·
Registered
276 Posts
Ok so how do I look into that?
I would assume, by what you've said so far, that you have a DOD lifter failure on cylinder 1. Don't drive the car!!!!! Take off the valve cover on the drivers side and disconnect the coil packs on both sides of the engine. Have someone turn the engine over while you observe the rockers on cylinder 1(drivers side closest to the radiator) You should notice little to no travel of the rocker arm(s). There will be slack between the camshaft and the rocker arm because the lifter is most likely seized in the collapsed position. If you see full travel and normal operation, it's not the lifter. It's possible there will be movement, just not FULL movement of the rocker arm.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
You listed this in the V6 forum so if you indeed have a V6 is isn't a DOD problem as our V6's don't have DOD.
The P0466 evap code, If it was the same problem as mine the evap solinoid is located under the plenum on the left side of the engine, was a $170+/- repair. Mine came up as a cel no other issues I can remember.
The other two codes have not popped up on my V6 yet so I cannot help you there.

·
Registered
276 Posts
You listed this in the V6 forum so if you indeed have a V6 is isn't a DOD problem as our V6's don't have DOD.
The P0466 evap code, If it was the same problem as mine the evap solinoid is located under the plenum on the left side of the engine, was a $170+/- repair. Mine came up as a cel no other issues I can remember.
The other two codes have not popped up on my V6 yet so I cannot help you there.
Shoot, I didn't realize he posted this to the V6 forum lol, my bad!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok bas g8 so I just change that and I should be good, I was reading around but I just want to make sure thank you all for the info

·
Premium Member
4,670 Posts
How many miles are currently on your G8? Have you ever changed all of the spark plugs? If not, would recommend changing all of the spark plugs with the Ac Delco brand or equivalent. Also, spark plug number six is notorious for water accumulation, but be sure to check all six wells for rust or water contamination. Two other possibilities are a bad ignition coil or coil plug boot. Coil plug boots can be purchased separately and a new coil ignition coil comes with a new boot.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts