Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So recently i have been having some shaking problems. I notice that at speeds over 45 i have a shake in the steering wheel and throughout the whole car. I have had passengers notice it when in the car. I am possibly thinking it could be related to tire balance, but i have a definite increase in shake when stopping. So this makes me think my rotors are warped.

I want this to be fixed as cost effective as possible because i am working on paying stuff off in the next few months because i am saving for our wedding.

I found a deal on brand new gxp front brembo calipers, brand new oem rotors, and some ceramic brake pads. The guy is asking $450. I think this seems like a good deal but want some advice. For starters does it seem like brakes should fix this? And another question is there another cost effective option? I know ebay has a bunch of rotors and pads for cheaper, but i do not know if the quality will be up to par. If i was to spend $400 for pads/rotors i would rather get the brembos, but if i was to spend $200 and be fine i would love to do so.

Thanks guys!

·
Moddin' and Roddin'
793 Posts
If your wheel is shaking when you're not applying the brakes, then I wouldn't think rotors unless your rotors are WAY out of true. I would get your tire balance checked first with a good road-force balance. Any Discount Tire can do it.

Hit any big potholes lately? You may also get them to check wheel runout.

After that, when was the last time you had the front control arms checked?

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just put new wheels on so was assuming balance was good, but i had my tires put on at Walmart... I did an in February and control arms looked fine. I no longer work where i have an alignment machine or tire balancer :/

I think its a combination of rotors and ****ty tire balance. I do not know of any place with a roadforce balance machine around here :/

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
The Brembos are WELL worth the upgrade, and will not warp as easy as the stock brakes. I would go that route.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Although I do my own balancing I've never road forced them. Never needed to with the original bridgestones or with my cheap federals. Most that do tire work don't go through the proper process of balancing on a traditional machine and/or keep them calibrated. This is the #1 issue with traditional balancers. These newer roadforce balancers are almost idiot proof and which is why the outcomes are more satisfactory.
Btw, the balance I have on my federals is a static and still ride just fine lol.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts