Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Solo Axle backs were sweet when the exhaust was stock, but when I installed the ARH headers and x-pipe back to them, it was just :nuts:. It was fun for a week at the Dream Cruise and what not...but they had to come off.

I'm well aware of most of the axle backs out there, Kooks, Magnaflow, Pypes, SLP, Solo, Spintechs, OBX etc. I have AFM disabled, so there shouldn't be any concern with that kind of drone.

So, with that said, I am leaning towards a couple of different options. I think Flowmaster 40's or even 44's would be too loud on a LT system for every day driving. I was wondering if the FM 50's might be better as they are toned down quite a bit.

I kind of liked the Spintech sound too, but not sure how it would go with LT's.

Although this is purely subjective and personal choice, what is going to have some grunt sound to it, not have a ton of interior drone, and not cost a boat load of money. Going the FM route, it would almost cost as much as a set of axle backs to be done right (new flanges are $20-30/each, mufflers are $100/each, new tips...price can get up there to $400-500 by the time you pay someone to weld them on...)

·
Registered
192 Posts
OBX Axlebacks can be had for $200 ish... 29" J pipes for $60 if you go with stainless... (less if you don't get stainless)... Have them welded on... Sounds sweet and no Drone...(except a little at 1400ish RPM)

·
Its Good To Be Tha King
9,064 Posts
Summit is running an awesome deal on those hooker max flowes, supposed to be good for the drone. I'm running pypes and F'n love it. May try out the obx set too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have magnaflows on my g8 but am running a 3.5 inch mufflex system with a single hooker aerochamber muffler and it is by far my favorite muffler I have ever had on any car, I plan on getting some fabbed up for the g8 later and selling these magnaflows

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
OBX Axlebacks can be had for $200 ish... 29" J pipes for $60 if you go with stainless... (less if you don't get stainless)... Have them welded on... Sounds sweet and no Drone...(except a little at 1400ish RPM)
This is what I have, except I still need to get my Js transferred over to these axlebacks. Good mix of sound and quiet for a DD.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Another option is the dynomax VT. They have a valve that keeps it toned down at idle/low load (cruising) and loud when you want a voice. I know a G8 that ran them with stock manifolds and gutted cats - nice deep voice when under load. Had muffled x-pipe also.

And inexpensive. Another thread has flanges for $5 or so, upipe for $30 and muffs VTs are about $70 a piece working advance auto codes.

Do some googling on the VT's many positive results. And beware of the internet chatter, the early VTs did have a valve clatter problem which does fixed - internet negative never dies-. Dynomax has lifetime warranty so even if the valve were to act up, you are covered.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
768MPH, I read your thread about the Hookers. I love the fact that you have no drone as we are all hoping to accomplish that. However, out of all the youtube videos I have listened too, I LOVE your video with the ARH LTs and Flowmaster 44's the best. Is the drone really that unbearable? The next favorites are the Spintechs, seems no one is really running those though, just a handful of vids on youtube. Were they also "drone masters"? I'm sold on the hooker lack of drone, but I'm just not sold on the actual sound (which is hard to get a great sense through internet video anyways). Can you honestly tell me that the sound is as good as the FM's? Maybe you didn't like the FM sound? It's all personal choice when it comes to stuff like that.

Ah hell, want the best sound and live with drone or not the best/deepest sound and have no drone? Choices. :drink:

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
768MPH, I read your thread about the Hookers. I love the fact that you have no drone as we are all hoping to accomplish that. However, out of all the youtube videos I have listened too, I LOVE your video with the ARH LTs and Flowmaster 44's the best. Is the drone really that unbearable? The next favorites are the Spintechs, seems no one is really running those though, just a handful of vids on youtube. Were they also "drone masters"? I'm sold on the hooker lack of drone, but I'm just not sold on the actual sound (which is hard to get a great sense through internet video anyways). Can you honestly tell me that the sound is as good as the FM's? Maybe you didn't like the FM sound? It's all personal choice when it comes to stuff like that.

Ah hell, want the best sound and live with drone or not the best/deepest sound and have no drone? Choices. :drink:
I liked the way they sounded as well but as far as drone goes, i'll put it this way: if someone GAVE me a set fabbed into axle backs already, i WOULD give them away.
It was MIND numbing on the freeway. They were awesome with stock manifold and cats with X pipe, but headers NO chance in hell.

Hope I answered your question. :D

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You did. I drive ~85 miles a day round trip on the freeway and I can't have drone. Looking at the price of the stainless Hookers at Summit, this might be a no brainer now. What size ahould I get?

·
Registered
1,431 Posts

·
Car RamRod
1,795 Posts
The Solo Axle backs were sweet when the exhaust was stock, but when I installed the ARH headers and x-pipe back to them, it was just :nuts:. It was fun for a week at the Dream Cruise and what not...but they had to come off.

I'm well aware of most of the axle backs out there, Kooks, Magnaflow, Pypes, SLP, Solo, Spintechs, OBX etc. I have AFM disabled, so there shouldn't be any concern with that kind of drone.

So, with that said, I am leaning towards a couple of different options. I think Flowmaster 40's or even 44's would be too loud on a LT system for every day driving. I was wondering if the FM 50's might be better as they are toned down quite a bit.

I kind of liked the Spintech sound too, but not sure how it would go with LT's.

Although this is purely subjective and personal choice, what is going to have some grunt sound to it, not have a ton of interior drone, and not cost a boat load of money. Going the FM route, it would almost cost as much as a set of axle backs to be done right (new flanges are $20-30/each, mufflers are $100/each, new tips...price can get up there to $400-500 by the time you pay someone to weld them on...)
Gotta have more cowbell!!! love that skit!

FM=Drone no way around it. Stay away from chambered muffs and the drone will be better. Perforated tube muffs work well, and if j-pipes are added, you get max power gains with no drone.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts