Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My AC wasn't blowing cold so I stupidly bought one of the recharge bottles at the local Parts store. The dial originally indicated low but now its telling my fully charged/dont put any more in. Of course I gave it a couple of extra pumps since the gauge seemed a bit off to me.

Anyway the system now blows cool but not ice cold like it used to (better than nothing in the texas heat I suppose) but I am also hearing the whine from the compressor/ac system when its running. I have read that this is a symptom of the system having too much freon/coolant, that this sound is the compressor having shut itself off to prevent damage.

My question is whether I can bleed off a bit of the coolant I added myself, perhaps by pressing the little ball in the bleeder valve? Or would this allow air into the system and make things worse? I have seen a few mentions of being able to bleed the system but nothing about how to this so any guidance on whether I should do this and if so, how, would be apprecaited

Also, can anyone give me an estimate of how much a reasonable ac system and bleed and recharge would cost in the USA for a G8?

Thanks

Martin G
San Antonio Tx

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
If the can is empty, remove it from the line. Yes you can bleed it like taking air from a tire , but we want to use the gauge. Close the valve on the line and put it on the fitting. The gauge should show the pressure. With the A/C running , open the valve for a second. Did the gauge move and the noise stop? If it’s better after a couple bleeds, stop. You now want an A/C shop to put an accurate gauge on the system to get the level just right

·
Premium Member
5,301 Posts
Suggest either purchasing a set of gauges from places such as Harbor Freight or taking it somewhere that can accurately measure the amount of refrigerant in the system given the accuracy of those d-i-y kits are questionable. By the way, there are numerous videos on YouTube with how to instructions regarding the gauges. Bear in mind, it's better to have the system under-filled than over-filled as it pertains to avoiding component failure. The guy I know does the works including vacuum for $80 given I am supplying the refrigerant. A reasonable estimate would be approximately a full hour's labor rate although the entire procedure, assuming there are no leaks, can around forty-five minutes.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Well since you do not know how much you put in on top of what you did not know the amount that was in there. And there is no way to measure how much you are going to take out and on top of that the compressor is variable so you do not know at what % it is commanded on to see if the pressures are correct I would say there is about a 0% chance you will hit the recommended fill amount.

Only way to get it corrected is with an Evacuation, Vacuum (to sub 500 microns hopefully) and a refill by weight. Then LEAVE IT ALONE!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts