Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the OBX LT's with 3" X-pipe sitting in my garage, waiting to be put on. I haven't bought axlebacks yet because I need your guys opinions on how to make this system sound as close to stock as possible. I plan to weld in cutouts once my Rick Crawford H/C/I/TB come in and get installed. I'm thinking something along the line of stock GT axlebacks and a second set of resonators (OBX 'cats' are resonators). But then I'm worried about drone. This is my DD and I can't stand exhaust drone driving 20k a year. What should I do?

·
Its Good To Be Tha King
9,064 Posts
The stock GT axle backs should be perfect for you. I'd try that first, then add a mid muffler if needed.

I have no drone with OBX and Pypes axle backs, it is fairly loud tho :)

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I would maybe try some of the Hooker Max flows like many others have including myself. Very tame, deep and mellow. No drone whatsoever. Perfect combo in my opinion. Or use stock GT axlebacks for the ultimate sleeper :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
spent close to $1000 for an awesome 3" exhaust only to muffle it down in the stock form.....

what is this world coming too :nuts:
I know right!?! Lol. I'm going the sleeper route. I want it look stock and sound stock, until I flip the e-cutouts.

As for the stock axlebacks, I don't have them. The previous owner put what I believe to be magnaflows under it. So most likely I'll try the Hooker Max Flows first since I have to figure something out. I know the magnaflows are awful about drone.

·
Registered
165 Posts
keep the gt stock axlebacks, I have LT no cats with 2.5 and an x pipe no midmuffer to the axleback, it has a very little growl,I want to change it cause its not that much louder than stock.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Listen to the videos of the Maxflows on various G8s. They sound great. To "me" sounds like a ZL1 factory exhaust at idle.

Sent from my fresh lubed iPhone

·
Registered
895 Posts
I'm running the OBX with stock muffs, and honestly, it is very quiet. You will be fine with this set-up, no mid muffler is needed. Start up has a nice little rumble, a tad louder than stock, but not loud at all. My buddy who has a SOLO Catback and stock manifolds is louder than me at start up and idle. Once you go WOT, it will get louder, still though, a very subtle and deeper loud, nothing obnoxius at all.
I would find some stock axlebacks, they still flow well enough for where you are going with the car and retain a nice stock sound especially cruising on the highway. And then when you want to have some fun, flip the switch on the Cut-Outs.
FWIW, I put down 362hp/375tq recently on the dyno with my mods thru the stock axlebacks and OBX system.

·
Registered
119 Posts
How about this??

I'm doing kooks long tubes ,no cats,a x pipe 2.5 inch no mid muffler,no resinators the little glass pack looking things, and stock gt mufflers? Will it be loud or pretty quite? So in a nut shell just long tubes no cats just gt mufflers. Thanks Bryan

·
Registered
267 Posts
I'm running the OBX with stock muffs, and honestly, it is very quiet. You will be fine with this set-up, no mid muffler is needed. Start up has a nice little rumble, a tad louder than stock, but not loud at all. My buddy who has a SOLO Catback and stock manifolds is louder than me at start up and idle. Once you go WOT, it will get louder, still though, a very subtle and deeper loud, nothing obnoxius at all.
I would find some stock axlebacks, they still flow well enough for where you are going with the car and retain a nice stock sound especially cruising on the highway. And then when you want to have some fun, flip the switch on the Cut-Outs.
FWIW, I put down 362hp/375tq recently on the dyno with my mods thru the stock axlebacks and OBX system.
Nice!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I know right!?! Lol. I'm going the sleeper route. I want it look stock and sound stock, until I flip the e-cutouts.

As for the stock axlebacks, I don't have them. The previous owner put what I believe to be magnaflows under it. So most likely I'll try the Hooker Max Flows first since I have to figure something out. I know the magnaflows are awful about drone.
I've got my stock GT muffs in the basement; hadn't really thought about selling them, but if you decide to go this route, send my a PM if interested. I don't think mine is ever going back to stock!

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
This ^^ I drove Yeti around the other day to compare our exhausts, he has the obx and stock gt axle backs on. The car is very quite! You can still tell it has a cam due to the idle but the exhaust sound level is very low.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Stock GT axleback is the way to go. I run them with the OBX headers and it is very quiet with no drone. It is louder than 100% stock, but is more inline with what you'd expect from a factory performance sedan as opposed to sounding aftermarket.

I filmed both setups on my car and the video with the GT mufflers recorded so little sound it wasn't even worth uploading.

I have a set of 'Turbo' mufflers I swap on when I wish to make a bit more noise; they are similar in tone to the GXP mufflers, only a bit louder. 'Super Turbo' mufflers are said to be on par with GXP mufflers.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Stock is pretty quiet.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Older i get the quieter I like it(that goes for a lot of things, lol). Think you've heard my car at one of the local meets, I wouldn't want it any louder.

I say do your setup 3" and neck down to factory axleback and have a cutout before the neckdown; best of both worlds (btw if you need a transition pipe I have some flow master 2.5"-3" pipes you can have)

Lemme know if I can help. :D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.