Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 g8 gt in bright white and I want the car to be as loud as it possibly can be without going into big steps like headers and a cam. Right now the car is straight piped with a xpipe no cats, mid mufflers, or rear mufflers and I was wondering if changing my exhaust tips to 3.5 inch or 4 inch would make the car louder?

·
Premium Member
4,522 Posts
Bright white... was it custom painted? Seems like there would be noise ordinances against such an undertaking and doing such would attract a lot of unwanted, unwarranted, and unfavorable attention.

·
F1rehawk
672 Posts
Must sound loud enough as it is.

Loved how you hacked and cut your exhaust.

Another classic owned by someone not really knowing what they are doing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hahaha all I was asking was if changing to the 4inch exhaust tips would make the exhaust sound louder

·
Registered
626 Posts
Hahaha all I was asking was if changing to the 4inch exhaust tips would make the exhaust sound louder
nope. it's not a trumpet

also, x-pipes are proven to perform well, but also cut the volume a bit. if you're worried about noise, cut that thing out and forget about the performance side.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Get headers, only way to make it louder at this point. Besides cutouts.

·
There was one?
2,308 Posts
open headers.......

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
It might be louder if he wasn't going deaf? Guess he doesn't have a GF or ever have passengers in the car either.

·
Premium Member
1,332 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
or go all the way to the 6 inch tips. Those ought to do it!
Agreed, I've seen people put up to 4" tips on and it didn't make a big difference in noise. When they went up to 6" it was quite a bit louder, and gets even louder with tips bigger than that!!!! :surprise:
Aftermarket tips for diesel trucks work pretty good and they look sweet. :pimp:

Another option is to sawzall the headers off:driving:

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm definitely in the "louder is not always better" camp. But whatever, I'll bite.
Tips won't do a thing. However, larger diameter piping for the entire exhaust will. Less pipe will too. You could flip your exhaust manifolds upside down and go out the hood. Just have a shop weld you up some short piping that goes straight up, and cut holes in the hood where they exit.
Don't forget your hearing protection.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
To give an actual answer. If you want it louder, You will have to start over with larger pipe. A 3 inch exhaust system will be louder. Louder but not faster because you don't have the mods to need an exhaust that big. ie supercharger or turbo

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Take the whole exhaust off, including the headers. That should do it

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
1 - 20 of 28 Posts