Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 g8 gt in bright white and I want the car to be as loud as it possibly can be without going into big steps like headers and a cam. Right now the car is straight piped with a xpipe no cats, mid mufflers, or rear mufflers and I was wondering if changing my exhaust tips to 3.5 inch or 4 inch would make the car louder?

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Bright white... was it custom painted? Seems like there would be noise ordinances against such an undertaking and doing such would attract a lot of unwanted, unwarranted, and unfavorable attention.

·
F1rehawk
628 Posts
Must sound loud enough as it is.

Loved how you hacked and cut your exhaust.

Another classic owned by someone not really knowing what they are doing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hahaha all I was asking was if changing to the 4inch exhaust tips would make the exhaust sound louder

·
Registered
592 Posts
Hahaha all I was asking was if changing to the 4inch exhaust tips would make the exhaust sound louder
nope. it's not a trumpet

also, x-pipes are proven to perform well, but also cut the volume a bit. if you're worried about noise, cut that thing out and forget about the performance side.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
Get headers, only way to make it louder at this point. Besides cutouts.

·
There was one?
2,308 Posts
open headers.......

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
It might be louder if he wasn't going deaf? Guess he doesn't have a GF or ever have passengers in the car either.

·
Premium Member
1,332 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
or go all the way to the 6 inch tips. Those ought to do it!
Agreed, I've seen people put up to 4" tips on and it didn't make a big difference in noise. When they went up to 6" it was quite a bit louder, and gets even louder with tips bigger than that!!!! :surprise:
Aftermarket tips for diesel trucks work pretty good and they look sweet. :pimp:

Another option is to sawzall the headers off:driving:

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm definitely in the "louder is not always better" camp. But whatever, I'll bite.
Tips won't do a thing. However, larger diameter piping for the entire exhaust will. Less pipe will too. You could flip your exhaust manifolds upside down and go out the hood. Just have a shop weld you up some short piping that goes straight up, and cut holes in the hood where they exit.
Don't forget your hearing protection.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
To give an actual answer. If you want it louder, You will have to start over with larger pipe. A 3 inch exhaust system will be louder. Louder but not faster because you don't have the mods to need an exhaust that big. ie supercharger or turbo

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Take the whole exhaust off, including the headers. That should do it

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
About this Discussion
27 Replies
20 Participants
BlueG8GT
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing