Pontiac G8 Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
I built a 3.5" true dual exhaust system for my G 8. Cat back. 4 x 3.5" tail pipes. It had no mufflers but got caught up with the PA inspection. The sound was awesome. The larger the pipe the larger the sound waves the deeper the tone. Small pipe small sound waves. You get that weed wacker sound like most of the imports. The gentler the bends also helps. I pie cut all my joints. I ended up taking the stock muffler cases and gutting them. I put new caps on the ends. I cut 2 x 3.5" holes in the ends. I then drilled 1" holes in the tail pipes sides. Slipped them over them and welded them up. Re installed the stock mounts to the pipes. Inspection problem fixed. I was surprised how much they toned the volume down. It fits in the stock location. No excess heat to the interior. They put good heat shields on the car. If you are able, building your own exhaust is very satisfying like nailing your own roof. Basic skills with an mig welder. A good grinder and plenty of discs and anyone can do it.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I have 2 inch long tubes and put the 3 inch Solo race "wake the neighbors" system on and my car was way too loud.
I've got almost the same setup. American Racing 1 7/8 LT with their midsection to Solo axlebacks. It's loud, but my son and wife love it.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
About this Discussion
27 Replies
20 Participants
BlueG8GT
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing