Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Large Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I just bought a 2008 GT (first post woo!) in Panther Black. I bought the car because I want to drive it, not spend time detailing it, so I'm looking for the most time-effective way to protect my paint and keep it looking good.

Some further info:

- The previous owner left lots of swirl marks
- He also seems to have never waxed it, based on the water spots and dirt it's picked up in the 4 days I've owned it.
- I have a garage at home, but it sits in the sun at work.
- I intend to buy snow tires and drive it all winter in Michigan.

I've been trying to find the answer through google, but I just keep tumbling further down the rabbit hole. Currently I think these are the front runners:
- Meguiar's NXT 2.0
- Nu Finish
- Collinite Liquid Insulator Wax 845
- Wolfgang 3.0
- Griot's One-Step

So I'm hoping for some help comparing the seemingly endless options. To summarize, my main priority is a durable protection that doesn't take an entire day to apply, and I would like it to hide the swirl marks as much as possible. Any real-world comparisons or tests would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I use poorboys world detailing products and it work great. Their waterless wash spray are top quality from waxes polishes clay bars wheel products and accessories. poorboysworld

·
Ins-Z-G8-toR
3,316 Posts
Welcome to the board! Sadly you cant have your cake and eat it too. If you want your car to look good, youre going to have to put some time and effort getting it where its suppose to be. Once you get it there, its quite easy touching it up.

If you just want to apply wax, then by all means do that, but your just masking the imperfections. You also wouldnt get the deep black look and shine either bc you didnt do the steps (claybar/polish etc.) You wouldnt be able to get rid of the swirl marks just with wax alone. I would personally do the nxt 2.0 from meguiars if wax is the only thing you do.

Check this thread out... Not bad with 7 hrs worth of elbow grease. http://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158065&highlight= I just rewash with car was soap/ quick spray wax, and shes back to the original pics. :)

·
Large Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you just want to apply wax, then by all means do that, but your just masking the imperfections. You also wouldnt get the deep black look and shine either bc you didnt do the steps (claybar/polish etc.) You wouldnt be able to get rid of the swirl marks just with wax alone. I would personally do the nxt 2.0 from meguiars if wax is the only thing you do.

Check this thread out... Not bad with 7 hrs worth of elbow grease. http://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158065&highlight= I just rewash with car was soap/ quick spray wax, and shes back to the original pics. :)
Thanks for the info, your car looks amazing.

I don't need quite that level of mirroring though. I'm not opposed to doing another step to get the swirls out, if there's a way to do a decent job without spending 7 hours.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
What rupert said. The end results is directly correlated to the amount of time and effort you put into it.

·
Move over >
1,445 Posts
and you bought the worst color if you dont want to detail. Black is the hardest color to maintain. BUT looks fantastic all polished up

·
Sarcasm Personified
3,900 Posts
I use poorboys world detailing products and it work great. Their waterless wash spray are top quality from waxes polishes clay bars wheel products and accessories. poorboysworld
I too use Poorboys products and they work great.

As to your question you bought a black car, with your intent of keeping it clean and protected without spending hours detailing flew right out the window with that lol. I will never own another black vehicle.

·
Move over >
1,445 Posts
ha, well its alright, you can always pay someone to clean her up!

another thought here: google aerolon

·
Ins-Z-G8-toR
3,316 Posts
Black is deff a bi*** to detail. Shows everything and anything. Wouldve taken me less time for sure if I didnt take my sweeet a** time. Having a machine also helps. Just get it right the first time aaaannnddd...SET AND FORGET IT!!! lol

Just pay some1 100-150$ and call it a day.. guaranteed you wont he disappointed. Im actually going to spend 7hrs tomorrow detailing the Z. If i wasnt cheap, I woulD pay some1.

·
Premium Member
4,831 Posts
You get out of it what you put into it. You can pay someone to do it and put ExPel all over, but that gets pricey.

Look at Adam's Polishes. Great stuff, great customer service, great website. Check out their forums as well.
And they are a vendor here.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Pay someone, like I do, to get it right.............then use Adams Polishes and NEVER NEVER EVER run it through an automatic car wash. Maybe the touchless once in a while during the winter.

·
Registered
430 Posts
After swearing never another black car after my 80 Grand Am a good friend that was a GM engineer mentions to me that the 2+2 prototype was black and gold so what does this dipstick do? Paints it black and I am a perfectionist when it comes to black.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Its not that difficult to maintain. Just wax it after every wash and keep it clayed. Easy peezy

·
Registered
120 Posts
I own 2 black vehicles. It's a never ending battle. Just find a compromise that you're happy with. I used Eagle One nanowax for a while which fills in small scratches and swirls to make them less obvious. I was pretty impressed how well it worked and how long it lasted. Still that is only temporary. Get yourself a clay bar and polisher and get to work:)

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
http://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30128

Read/watch the Junkman's videos. It's the TRUTH. There are no short cuts with black paint.

Either DIY the CORRECT way to pay someone that KNOWS what they are doing.

Once you get your paint right, then you have to do everything in your power not to scratch it up again. it's more than just waxing and not taking it through a car wash. It's a lot more than that.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
You could also look into clear bra or full on clear protection but not a cheap way to go. I have heard of a guy who used clear plasti dip but I don't know how that turned out in terms of looks.

Other option is what's been stated. A good paint sealant and some carnubba wax over that. It's a never ending battle indeed : )

Oh and welcome aboard man .

·
Ins-Z-G8-toR
3,316 Posts
You can spray your whole car with 3M clear spray. I think theyre 20/25$ a can. 150-200 to get your FRESHLY polished/waxed black car protected from all the elements.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Location? Maybe a member can help. I spent 6 hours doing mine. Wash clay 3m three step correction and polish and Adams sealer. I also will put another layer on this week and then wax when I want the extra pop. The difference is night and day even with a white car. Even my secretary noticed when I pulled up lol. Well worth it but the start up cost of the equipment was more than just paying someone.

·
Large Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the advice everyone.

I got a bottle of NXT to see how that would look, and I think it's good enough for now. You can still see the swirls a little bit, but it's vastly better. If I get a free weekend I'll probably polish and clay the whole thing (actually, do you still need to clay if you polish?), but I'm more than happy with the results for now.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.