Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Slowly gaining acceptance
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got around to my annual oil change today to finish up my spring maintenance, and while I was at it I decided to lube up my increasingly noisy front control arms and tie rod ends. I thought I had done this more recently, but I haven't been driving all that much since COVID, but I installed the Mevotech control arms and outer tie rods almost 20k miles ago. Anyway, while lubing the driver side, I noticed that one of the zerk fittings was loose, and there was a bit of grease on top of the ball joint. I grabbed a wrench to tighten it, and...

I'm going to test drive before determining how much I want to replace that control arm again (it would be the third since I've owned the car). It didn't leak any of the fresh grease I pumped in. That would be the out tie rod end, which has a pin hole in it. Arrgh.

·
Premium Member
10,473 Posts
Are the control arms Mevotech original grade or supreme? Mevotech original grade parts have a five year warranty and Mevotech supreme a limited lifetime warranty.

Reactions: Jimal

·
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Between the heat, our summer vacation schedule, i just got around to swapping out the control arm. The ball joint in the old arm was definitely toast (it looks like water got in the boot) and the new arm addressed the issue. Nice to be able to solve an obvious problem for a change for once. Replaced the outer tie rod while I was in there, because of the pinhole.

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
Once a year greasing for ball joints is not enough. My first G8 was driven year round. So my Mevotech arms got greased at winter and spring tire changes then at an oil change time. So always 3 or 4 times a year and never had a problem.

·
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Once a year greasing for ball joints is not enough. My first G8 was driven year round. So my Mevotech arms got greased at winter and spring tire changes then at an oil change time. So always 3 or 4 times a year and never had a problem.
There’s the issue. Between WFH and COVID, the car sat a lot. Oil changes became annual because I wasn’t putting miles in, so greasing was done twice a year; with the oil change and summer tire change over in the spring, and with the winter tire change over in the fall. Fall 2020 I didn’t even do a change over.

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
I don’t think you use enough grease. I pump grease until fresh comes out. Displacing water and old dirty grease. The boots bulge a lot before grease comes out.

Reactions: R1toG8
1 - 7 of 7 Posts