Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been toying with installing an electric cutout on my car and now I'm ready to pull the trigger... BUT from what I'm reading recently it sounds like DMH is not really a good choice right now. Are there any other decent options for a low profile e-cutout supplier that will have good customer service?

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Do not do it. I've been debating it for a year now and I to was so close to just doing it. I've read people's posts that had such a bad experience ,that I said never mind. There are a few that get lucky but most don't. I've been pretty let down in trying to find a system with a butterfly like the e cuts would have. There are a couple axle back choices from Australia but it is Soooo expensive. Yea I definitely gotta give a thumbs down to dmh, don't do it.

·
Registered
295 Posts
QTP cutouts.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
I heard that these dont work cause they are not low profile but maybe I heard wrong

·
Registered
295 Posts
I had e-cutouts on my TA and some of my buddies have had them on their cars. The only problems we ever had was carbon being built up on the butterflys and not getting a good seal. It sounds like an exhaust leak. To remedy this, when I changed my oil I would open the cutout and clean the dump and butterfly blade. Every second or third time I would completely unbolt the cutout and clean it more vigorously.

·
Registered
295 Posts

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
People have had the switch break on day one. A guy posted that on day one of his install,both sides worked and on day two the motor on the one crapped out and it took a few weeks to get a hold of the guy that runs things. Valves not closing completely anymore was one as well.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
SRT03
LX Newbie

DMH cutout problem

Okay gentlemen I need some ideas. I ordered a set of DMH low profile cutouts on 5/18 from marylandspeed. After a month and a half they arrived late last week. I had them professionally installed yesterday.

Both units opened up with out a problem. Both units closed without a problem. Then both units opened without a problem then ONLY one unit closed. The passenger side unit now won't open or close!!

Checked wiring and both work. The drivers side unit works on both sides. I can hear the motor working when hitting the button but nothing happens with the butterfly. I have emailed Dave and called him 5 times today but his phone always goes to "memory is full." Marylandspeed says they can't help me (even though they sold me the product).

Any ideas on what to check? There are only 5 total screws/bolts to mess with.

Thanks,

Al
2006 300C SRT8
*Diablo, 180 Tstat, K&N,*
Recently added DMH Electric cutouts <----LOUD

2009 Yamaha Raider
* A few goodies*<--Loud pipes saves lives

2003 Black C5 6sp<---Sold
*Headers, vararam, dyno tune
*351whp, 376wtq

2004 GTO<---Sold
2003 SRT4<---Sold

07-10-2012,*06:09 PM #2
BBoyPersia

eThug cause talkin **** IRL is dangerous

do you see anything move on the one that doesnt work? theres a ring with a screw that connects the motor to the butterfly. if the screw is loose, it wont open/close
Follow my build and racing! www.facebook.com/bboypersiart 9.65 @ 139 - 1.380 60'
Sponsored By: Drag-On Tuning, HHP Racing

Originally Posted by Jack SickSRT
BBOY all I can say is !!
07-10-2012,*07:52 PM #3
hemiphil

needs...more...boost!

Happened to me once just after install (when I had the DMH's) one didn't close. Just closed it by hand, and cycled through open/close a few times...both worked fine after that.

Hemi Registry #1237
DD: 2005 Inferno Red Dodge Magnum R/T
07-10-2012,*08:01 PM #4
BBoyPersia

eThug cause talkin **** IRL is dangerous

theres also a small chance that the blade can be catching onto the gasket. i had that problem once. it would open and close when not tightend but wouldnt move when tight
07-10-2012,*08:47 PM #5 SRT03
LX Newbie

Okay, I have played around some more and still can't figure it out. I have tried tightning that adjustment screw, I removed all gasket material so there is nothing for the blade to get stuck on. I have now emailed Dave twice, and called 7 times today with each call going to "memory is full."

I am at a loss. I guess I will continue trying to call him tomorrow. Sucks b/c I drove around the block and it sounds sooooooooooooooo good. BUT I want to be able to turn it on and off. Hence why I paid $400 for ELECTRONIC cutouts. I just wished I had some that worked. almost 2 months since I first ordered them. I am starting to wish I went with QTP instead.
07-10-2012,*08:55 PM #6
Lost815

YEAH...I get all my Tattoos for free....

In the driver's seat with the pedal to the metal!!! Socal transplant in Salem, OR
Good luck, I had the same problem when I needed to order the flanges, got ahold of him once. Never answered emails, messages or phone.

07-10-2012,*09:00 PM #7 crazy_luck
I know where Hoffa is...

One of mine got stuck open once. I had a friend with me when it happened - I had him hit the button to close them while I was using a screwdriver to gently pry it free - just a little pressure and it closed. They've worked fine since...

*knock on wood*

My Charger - pics and info ..... Why my licence plate is offset
"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."
07-10-2012,*11:25 PM #8 SRT03
LX Newbie

Until I get a hold of him, I will just have to manually open and close the one side when I want to use them :-(
07-11-2012,*09:35 AM #9
NautcaSprt6

Wish you the best BigBob

DMH customer service is garbage. Good Luck. He has never responded to any of my emails in the past and when I had an issue with my cutouts last year, he never answered his phone or voicemail.
This is the 2nd time ive had issues with my cutouts.
From what I hear, 3GCustomz will be offering cutouts with actual customer service.
Im a practical joker, so dont take anything seriously. GOT IT. GOOD.

Big Thanks to: | www.BilletTechnology.com | www.TVandNav2Go.com | www.VIP300C.com
07-11-2012,*09:44 AM #10
ICLOSEM

The Alick of Smart!

These are all the reasons why I havent pulled the trigger on these in 4 years that I have wanted them.
mlgreen and redvision like this.

AZ Modern Mopar Muscle
07-11-2012,*10:06 AM #11
jink25

The government took my mod money

Just got my 3rd replacement set back from him...after he held on to them for 6 months. They are cool while they work but I dont think I would do it again. Hopefully if other vendors are making new ones they use the same flange type and bolt pattern so theirs mount right up as a replacement when my new set breaks in another 6 months

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
That was a portion of a thread I read. Just one of many peeved customers stories I've read.

·
Registered
295 Posts
That was a portion of a thread I read. Just one of many peeved customers stories I've read.
Thats too bad, I loved them on my car. I cant understand why its such a problem. Its a relatively simple thing to build. Servo motors and butterfly blades have been around for every.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
I have been let down too cause that's exactly what I want ,except for the problems that come with it. I hope another company can improve on it or dmh ,whatever.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah it's not so much the functional or mechanical problems I have with DMH (it's the nature of the mod, you gotta expect to either routinely maintain or expect failures) but just the fact that his line of customers is so backed up right now that when something breaks I'll be SOL.

Bottom line is I just want another supplier with a similar product but that has the time and resource that DMH doesn't seem to have currently.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
That post I put up of the other thread was two years ago , maybe things have changed but dought it. Sounds like they have always had an issue

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
From my understanding they have made some improvements over the years...

Anybody on here who has personal experience with another e-cutout on their G8 specifically? I am not lowered and don't plan on lowering, so I might be able to make a "not-so-low-profile" cutout work for me...

·
Registered
387 Posts
DMH does sell 2.5" Low Profile E-Cutouts. They just don't list them on the website. He said they are SS and I believe he said they are $425 for the set. He also said that if anything goes wrong with them he has no problem getting them repaired ASAP. He did specify they are built to order so there may be a couple day delay in getting it out.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
G8 specifically? I am not lowered and don't plan on lowering, so I might be able to make a "not-so-low-profile" cutout work for me...
I don't think it matters if your lowered or not. Im not lowered either .

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
DMH does sell 2.5" Low Profile E-Cutouts. They just don't list them on the website. He said they are SS and I believe he said they are $425 for the set. He also said that if anything goes wrong with them he has no problem getting them repaired ASAP. He did specify they are built to order so there may be a couple day delay in getting it out.
Thanks Hazards, I'll try giving him a call this week and feel out whether it's worth the risk despite recent issues. I know the positive reviews outweigh the negatives by far and the general consensus is DMH is the best choice.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I don't think it matters if your lowered or not. Im not lowered either .
I have seen people make other brands work (i.e. BadlanzHPE, QTP, etc.) but only when they're on stock suspension. These other companies do sell lo-pro versions, and I was hoping to hear from those people about their experience regarding whether it's worked out for them long term with underbody clearance and customer service being my main concerns.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts