Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone. I have been looking through the “V6 engine Tech” section, but could not find much info. I have been noticing that my car has inconsistent engine performance. Generally after the 1st start of the day, the car seems a little less responsive. Engine seems to perform better after the 2nd start. But sometimes, engine power seems good after the 1st start too. Yesterday at around 10 pm, I was driving back home and the car performed really well. Normally I don’t get that kind of performance. It probably was my car’s best engine performance ever since I bought the car 2 years ago. Overall, I have not driven any other G8’s to compare my cars with in terms of performance, except for a couple of test drives that I took when I was looking to buy one.
My question is that if this kind of engine behavior is normal, or I should be concerned about something here. Can time of the day and the temp effect the engine performance in any way? I have seen that some people have suggested cleaning the MAF and changing the air filter. Could it be that I need new spark plugs ? I have 65000 Km’s which is a little over 40,000 miles on my car.

Any suggestions, tips will be highly appreciated.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'd say heat and humidity will definitely make a difference in engine performance. You can check your plugs and air filter and make sure they are ok. Do you have an aftermarket intake?

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Heat, engine temps, and this "performance" you talk about is such an arbitrary form of measurement that unless you can actually measure it, it's hard to judge.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you Atlasdriver88 for responding. I don't have any aftermarket intake. In fact I don't have any modifications on my car at all. I will definitely check the air filter but how can I check the plugs ? Can I do it my self ?

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'm not familiar with the ly6 motor but you can check those relatively easy due to the way the engine faces. Search the forum for plug changes. And if you haven't changed the filter I would absolutely change it. If you feel the need to there are some nice intake mods for the g8 that really do improve air flow.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
As stated above, I'd check the air filter and change it. I would also clean the MAF sensor and throttle body. Easy to do and will eliminate those things from the equation.

·
Registered
444 Posts
You have to remove the upper intake for the plugs on the LY7 V6.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you everyone for all the input. Karlhungus, my cars throttle body was actually replaced about 3 months ago under my powertrain warranty. I will definitely change the air filter and clean the MAF sensor. I was reading in another thread that someone cleaned the MAF and ended up with a check engine warning. I was wondering if there are any instructions available on how to clean it ur self somewhere. If anyone has any info and could share it, i'll appreciate that.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks again everyone for all the information. If there are no instructions anywhere, I was wondering if someone could tell me where the MAF sensor is located? Sorry guys, I am really bad with this stuff.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Thanks again everyone for all the information. If there are no instructions anywhere, I was wondering if someone could tell me where the MAF sensor is located? Sorry guys, I am really bad with this stuff.
I see you're in Toronto. PM you're number. I have everything you need to clean the MAF and I can help you on the weekend if you like.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Hi Everyone. I have been looking through the “V6 engine Tech” section, but could not find much info. I have been noticing that my car has inconsistent engine performance. Generally after the 1st start of the day, the car seems a little less responsive. Engine seems to perform better after the 2nd start. But sometimes, engine power seems good after the 1st start too. Yesterday at around 10 pm, I was driving back home and the car performed really well. Normally I don’t get that kind of performance. It probably was my car’s best engine performance ever since I bought the car 2 years ago. Overall, I have not driven any other G8’s to compare my cars with in terms of performance, except for a couple of test drives that I took when I was looking to buy one.
My question is that if this kind of engine behavior is normal, or I should be concerned about something here. Can time of the day and the temp effect the engine performance in any way? I have seen that some people have suggested cleaning the MAF and changing the air filter. Could it be that I need new spark plugs ? I have 65000 Km’s which is a little over 40,000 miles on my car.

Any suggestions, tips will be highly appreciated.
Greetings azatrum,

Truly sorry to hear about the engine performance concerns. Have you been to a GM dealer for an official diagnosis? Please let us know if you would to enlist their certified services. You can private message me at anytime if you continue to experience this and would like a visit scheduled.

Regards,

William R.
GM Customer Care

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you William. I am going to try changing the filter and cleaning the MAF sensor and see if it makes any difference or not. I will definitely let you know about my plans.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Supposedly the filters our engines have can last up to 50k miles but remember the disclaimer that different areas of where we live will show different results. Throw a K&N High Flow in, it will help out tremendously.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks mrbirdman330 for the info. Is K&N High Flow available in any part stores, and how much does it cost ?

·
Registered
989 Posts
@ azatrum

Yes they are available. Probably best to order through K&N online if that's your brand choice. Retailing online for $325.00 (US) I went with K&N on my LY7 and I'm happy with it. Seems most people on here go with Roto-Fab. install is super easy, a child could do it.

·
Registered
444 Posts
K&N High Flows cost around 60 bucks give or take. K&N CAI's range around the 325 Dollar Range.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
May I ask what the difference is between K&N High Flows and K&N CAI's ? Because thats a huge price difference. Must have a big difference in car's performance too ?

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
One is just a filter and one is a filter and a tube.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Correct but the High Flow does have distinct advantages. It does kill the hesitation when trying to take off.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Does it though?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts