Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered BLACK STITCHING REAL LEATHER ARMREST COVER FITS PONTIAC G8 GT 2008-2009 from ebay ($34.99) with low expectations but it turned out great. The quality, color match, and fitment were all top notch and shipping was good from overseas.

I walked into a local upholstery shop and he did it on the spot for 20 bucks. It looks miles better than the original but retains the soft feel. Honestly, if you have heat and staple guns, you could do it yourself easily. The latch is a little stickier now, but I'm ok with that considering the big upgrade in appearance. For the price, I would suggest this for anyone, especially since there are different colors for the leather and stitching available.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
I ordered BLACK STITCHING REAL LEATHER ARMREST COVER FITS PONTIAC G8 GT 2008-2009 from ebay ($34.99) with low expectations but it turned out great. The quality, color match, and fitment were all top notch and shipping was good from overseas.

I walked into a local upholstery shop and he did it on the spot for 20 bucks. It looks miles better than the original but retains the soft feel. Honestly, if you have heat and staple guns, you could do it yourself easily. The latch is a little stickier now, but I'm ok with that considering the big upgrade in appearance. For the price, I would suggest this for anyone, especially since there are different colors for the leather and stitching available.
That seller does great work and they are located in the UK.

They made a custom red leather boot for my shifter with black stitching. They're also working on a console cover for my sliding leather console lid.

Could you explain what you did? You unscrewed your lid and had someone staple and glue the new piece to the eBay item to the piece you unscrewed? And then you scewed the glued piece back to where it was?

And yes, I understand that the sliding console lid doesn't unscrew like the non sliding lid version.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could you explain what you did? You unscrewed your lid and had someone staple and glue the new piece to the eBay item to the piece you unscrewed? And then you scewed the glued piece back to where it was?
The ebay piece is literally just a leather cover sized perfectly to go over the existing lid, which is confusing from their pics.

I removed the six screws and then popped the rubber pad off of the lid plate assembly by pulling up from the back until it released...only a little careful force is needed. The new leather cover then stretches over the rubber lid. My guy said gluing all in the middle would make it look weird, so he just stretched the edges and heated the middle. You then pull the edges tight and staple the leather to the inner most part of the rubber on the underside of the armrest (see the uninstalled pic). Then you just razor off the excess leather along the staple line. Snapping it back into the plate is a little harder now because there's a few mils of leather in the way, but you can use the screws to set it in the right spot and then go slowly squeezing around the edge. I hope that helps

·
Registered
207 Posts
yeah i got from them too, very happy with it. didnt even have to use heat or glue... Its been held on by the underside of the console lid and screws for about three years now.

Great match to the red leather as well

·
Premium Member
4,656 Posts
Always thought this would be a viable option versus purchasing a factory onyx armrest.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the factory Holden sits about 1 inch higher and looks like it came from factory
I've seen these ones out there, and they do look nice, but I didn't like the cost or that they were supposedly very hard. To each his own, I guess.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts