Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to do an upgrade. I just want to replace the factory speakers, doors and center. Want do most of you prefer Polk Audio db651 or Infinity Kappa 62.9i ? What are we doing for center speaker?

·
Its Good To Be Tha King
9,064 Posts
Polk is a better speaker IMO, but only comes in 4ohm. The Infinity matches our factory ohm set-up and is what I choose. Tweeter diminished 3db helps with the brightness.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I replaced my door speakers with the infinity kappa 62.9i's mainly because they are 2 ohm to match the factory ratings of the speakers, they have a built in crossover (which I liked), and the tweeter is movable so you can direct the sound a little better. I started a thread a little while ago on the infinity's you might want to check out.

As far as the center speaker, from everything that I've read it's not worth the money to upgrade it. I think most either disconnect it or leave it alone. I still have my factory center speaker hooked up and I think it sounds fine with the kappas. I think this is mainly due to the kappas and the center speaker being all 2 ohm.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Its Good To Be Tha King
9,064 Posts
^Yup, center speaker sounds fine when using 2ohm speakers. If you use 4ohm's, your center speaker may be too loud compared to the other speakers.

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
Well myself and Derekprz went with the Infinity Kappa speakers and they sound great. Now before I get flamed again, no I did not try the Polk speakers nor did I try any others I'm not made of money! Derek had used the Infinities before and said good things about them and they have a built in crossover which is nice. Also I had read great things about them on the board.

SRG I think you may have flip flopped that. The higher the OHM rating the quieter the speakers are, thats why Derek and I added a 5 ohm resister to the Infinity 32.9's we used in the dash so they wouldn't be so overpowering.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I replaced my door speakers with the infinity kappa 62.9i's mainly because they are 2 ohm to match the factory ratings of the speakers, they have a built in crossover (which I liked), and the tweeter is movable so you can direct the sound a little better. I started a thread a little while ago on the infinity's you might want to check out.

As far as the center speaker, from everything that I've read it's not worth the money to upgrade it. I think most either disconnect it or leave it alone. I still have my factory center speaker hooked up and I think it sounds fine with the kappas. I think this is mainly due to the kappas and the center speaker being all 2 ohm.
:popcorn2:
Ditto

·
Its Good To Be Tha King
9,064 Posts
The higher the OHM rating the quieter the speakers are, thats why Derek and I added a 5 ohm resister to the Infinity 32.9's we used in the dash so they wouldn't be so overpowering.
Isn't that what I said, just differently lol :p

Only talking about replacing the door speakers.

^Yup, center speaker sounds fine when using 2ohm speakers. If you use 4ohm's, your center speaker may be too loud compared to the other speakers.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
i dont think you can go wrong with either. If you're amping the polks then the ohm rating wont matter. personally i have polks, but I have heard good things about the infinitis

·
Texas state of mind...
1,139 Posts
If you want to really step up a bit in speaker quality...this is a very solid choice. Not a cheap option, but not bad...~$300.

http://hybrid-audio.com/imagine/

But if you are spending this much (or more) on mid drivers...you are going to be treating the doors to get the best value out of them, and you should treat the doors anyway in ANY kind of "sound quality" pursuit.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Does anyone here have Polk 6501's on a factory amp?
I bought a set of those and 651 for the rear and was going to amp them, but I might change my mind and go with a simpler set up. Now I'm thinking I should have got the Infinity 32.9.

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dxi .... actually tHinKing of doing that setup mySelf .

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Meaning polks..... I Have a HK flagship receiver and not impressed. Polk quality has dimInished since Mathew Polk Sold out but I Listened to the kappa and polk dxi.......... like the Polks better.

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Infinity looks good on specs but you have to actually LISTEN to the speakers. If s getting hArd to do. Best buy sux and American is getting out of car audio. So were do we actually hear the stuff anymore ? Its bad people. Internet is great but what happens when we can n o longer hear see the stuff. ?

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Does anyone here have Polk 6501's on a factory amp?
I bought a set of those and 651 for the rear and was going to amp them, but I might change my mind and go with a simpler set up. Now I'm thinking I should have got the Infinity 32.9.
i ran 6501's up front and 651's in the back unamped and they sounded great. Just unplug the center channel. I then amped them and they sound even better.

·
Mack
1,000 Posts
Had the Infinity Kappa's installed now for about 2 weeks. The sound improvement over stock is very drastic. High's are literally ear piercing (had to drop treble a few notches), the mids are very good and even a little bit of bass out of these things. For the price you really can't go wrong. I think they were $69 or so each set on Amazon? I think they are up to $75 now a set but still worth it. I did front and back doors and dynamatted also. Good luck OP!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.