Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Metalhead
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I'll tell you my version is hillbilly. And by hillbilly, I mean HILL-BILLY. I'm just in a current war against drilling my front bumper. So, here it is.

I found two spots behind the lower grilles that have a hollowed out space where something could be clamped, so I used two C clamps to clamp up some metal strapping to the bottom of it. I then ran the strapping through the lower grille, and bent it at a right angle. I adjusted everything to fit the plate holes, then secured the plate to the strapping. I couldn't quite think of a solution for the lower portion of the plate from flapping, so it was simply zip tied to the grille.

Now let me remind you that this is a temporary fix. I mainly wanted to post this to see if someone with real talent (obviously not me), has attempted to do something similar to this with actual pieces, like brushed aluminum. This could also solve the bottom of the plate movement. Mine is currently very sturdy, but you can torque it clockwise or counterclockwise about 1/2 inch if you twist it. Hopefully in the future someone with more skill would be able to fab something up for all of us to enjoy!

It looks hillbilly up close, but I guess from far away it doesn't look too bad for something a middle school English teacher fabbed up. :drink:

·
Registered
281 Posts
Nice. I've been driving around for the last 10 months w/out a front plate because I didn't want to drill holes in my bumper either, this would be a good alternative.

·
That's ME!
4,021 Posts
Yep, looks nice. My 93 RX7 had something similar from the factory. A couple of holes on the botton of the front fascia that had L brackets attached to them.

·
Metalhead
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Haha, thanks for the compliments on my hillbilly ingenuity. I'm surprised no one else hasnt tried a clamp style bracket down on the lower grille. And if you remove the lower grille there is a spot about 4-5 inches to each side of the center separation on the bumper that I'd clamped to. Actually, the honeycomb hole next to the one I'd used would be a straight shot back to that spot i'd think. If you used an L shaped bracket you could put a cross piece/bracket for the plate to bolt to. Again, I'll just admit that I don't have the skill to carry this out, but if someone could point me in the right direction to where you can get pieces of aluminum to fab up then I'm game. All I've seen so far is building materials from Lowes or Home Depot.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
Boombastic86
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing