Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently replace my GT muffler with a GXP muffler and what a difference with sound has a not too loud even with the DoD active. That will be deleted with a tuner I purchase. I had the Mach balance and was not happy how loud it was at certain rpm is would resonate bad even when I made numerous adjustment with the j pipe. For me this was the better choice for a daily driver.

Attachments

·
2009.1 Liquid Red G8 GT
352 Posts
I've had mine now for about 2 years, and love them....just the right amount of "growl".

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Perfect for daily driven family duty. Pair them with an x pipe and leave the resonators in like I did and the tone is even better.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
287 Posts
Very interesting. I've finally figured out I'm going with a complete ARH all the way back to the axle backs, but have been pulling my hair out trying to find a set up that wasn't too loud but had a nice growl to it, and a nice deep tone at idle or while cruising. Where to buy these??

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bought my used they are not cheap if you by them new

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Very interesting. I've finally figured out I'm going with a complete ARH all the way back to the axle backs, but have been pulling my hair out trying to find a set up that wasn't too loud but had a nice growl to it, and a nice deep tone at idle or while cruising. Where to buy these??
A full ARH system mated to GXP mufflers is still going to be very loud. You're going to have a difficult time finding a muffler that doesn't drone and keeps the exhaust volume in check with a full header and midpipe installed.

·
Teufel Hunden
342 Posts
A full ARH system mated to GXP mufflers is still going to be very loud. You're going to have a difficult time finding a muffler that doesn't drone and keeps the exhaust volume in check with a full header and midpipe installed.

I'm about to test this theory tomorrow morning. I currently have Magnaflow axlebacks, but came across a set of GXP mufflers. They are nearly brand new and ran me $80, so why not? Hoping to tame the beast slightly.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I learned the hard way that stock GT axlebacks are the best. GXP axlebacks droned. SLP Power Flo's droned less but still droned. Also tried Dynomax Super Turbos. They droned too.

If I consider any other axleback it would be Hooker Max Flows. From all the research I've done, they don't drone with the ARH set up.
http://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66006

·
Teufel Hunden
342 Posts
GXP mufflers eliminated the drone! Absolutely none. It's loud and raspy, but no drone. This is with a catless 1 7/8 ARH setup. Without the drone, I can hear the supercharger a lot more, but I think I prefer that.

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
Are you guys talking about the AFM changeover drone or the 1800 rpm drone? J-pipes only fix the latter.

·
Teufel Hunden
342 Posts
Are you guys talking about the AFM changeover drone or the 1800 rpm drone? J-pipes only fix the latter.
The drone I was experiencing was as a result of the catless ARH 1 7/8" combined with Magnaflow axlebacks. My AFM is disabled.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
The drone I was experiencing was as a result of the catless ARH 1 7/8" combined with Magnaflow axlebacks. My AFM is disabled.
I have no drone. However I had j-pipes put on the OBX axlebacks.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
This is a good axle back thread......

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.