Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after installing my roto-fab cold air intake a mechanic told me that it wasnt state legal in california, so ill have to put the stock intake back in when i get it SMOG tested..

is that really true? is the roto-fab cold air intake for the V6 really not state legal in california?

btw: i love it so far, its hard to hear much of a sound difference with the solos on there, but it feels good.

·
Tin Indian
440 Posts
If it is 50 state legal (emissions that is), it will have a C.A.R.B. (California Air Research Board) exempt sticker either on it somewhere or in the box. If it does not, then unfortunately it is not legal for ON highway use on a pollution controlled motor vehicle in the state of California.

·
PROCHARGED!
1,879 Posts
I know another local G8er (GPDan) got a fix it ticket for having a non CARB compliant air box...

Its simple enough to swap them out as needed, no worries. (especially since we don't have to smog test until 2014)

·
Premium Member
1,935 Posts
I don't think there are any CARB legal intakes for the G8. Just keep the stock one and replace it as needed. The stupid emissions laws in California make just about everything illegal these days (accept driving a pre-1975 smog spewing beat-up old car).

-Todd...

·
Premium Member
8,281 Posts
I'm glad you're satisfied with your ROTOFAB intake. My K&N intake isn't allowed legally in the state of California under the CARB thinga- ma-jig. Just don't forget to put your stock intake in prior to inspection and you should be a-ok.

·
DINSTAAR
494 Posts
You don't have to SMOG six years form the year of your car, then after that every other year. You will have a CARB EO# if it was legal for CA use. Most likely you won't be targeted by the cops to pull you over to look under your hood.

·
Premium Member
1,935 Posts
i cant see why its illegal
More than likely it is not CARB legal because Roto-fab didn't want to pay to go through the process of getting it CARB approved. It's like most products in the aftermarket... very few (compared to the whole) are CARB approved, or have limited approval (ie. only this one part with no additional tuning).

-Todd...

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
find someone with an k&n intake, aem or something similar use their carb sticker put it on problem solved.

·
Registered
516 Posts
does anyone have a good website for v6 parts. Ex: intake, exhaust......
NOPE. you just have to know what performance parts are made for the car and the company that makes them (no google search type thing). Its like using a residential phone book to try and find out who is teacher or something. you try one number (company) and then try another at random. If there wasnt this site you'd be completely screwed!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts