Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
9C3 road warrior
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, after hours of searching various forums (including this one) I'm posting this query before I start on my project. I'm fixing to install a CTS-V Recaro driver's seat in my Caprice. The Caprice and G8 seats are pretty much a direct swap, so barring any quirks with electrical connections (seat rails do interchange as we have a member driving a Caprice with a G8 seat) if the CTS-V fits in my Caprice it will fit in the G8. I have the driver's seat ordered, delivered, and sitting in my garage right now. Nice mint condition seat, out of a 4K mile wagon wreck, black leather. Bag was not blown. $750 plus freight out of MI.

The passenger seat out of the CTS-V was bent in the collision (right-side door hit) and also had the bag blown so it was probably not cost-efficient to worry about. I'd rather try one seat and have it shown to work first so as not to have to dink with a second seat if it didn't work. Twice the shipping.

I've got a copy of the seat connector pin-out to the body harness, and it looks like the only thing you really have to worry about is connector X301 on the Recaro, the body harness to the driver's seat harness. From other forums it seems the control modules are in the seats, so as long as you get 12V to it you have power for the basic control functions (up/down, forward/back, tilt, lumbar, etc...). What I'm guessing will have to be adapted is the power for the seat heating/cooling as obviously our cars didn't come equipped with the controls for that portion.

Here's the pin-out from the Helm on the Recaro. This is for the 2012 Recaro sedan/wagon version, not the coupe.

1 - Battery positive
2 - Passenger seat blower speed control
3 - Passenger seat cushion module heat control
4 - Passenger seat cushion module cool control
5 - Passenger seat cushion temp sensor signal
6 - Memory sensor low reference
7 - Battery positive
8 - Battery positive
9 - Says Battery positive for coupe, no sedan function listed
10 - Ignition 1 voltage
11 - Low speed GMLAN serial data
12 - Seat belt switch - Left - Return
13 - Seat belt switch - Left - Signal
14 - Ground

Anyone have an idea what the low speed serial data is for in the seat? I've yet to take a look at the seat connector (I have the Helm on the Caprice so I've got all the data I need there), but I'm hoping that the shells are the same for the corresponding connectors. If that's the case then all I may have to do is some repinning. If not then it looks like I'll have to do a few pigtails and make an adapter harness.

Thanks
Eric

·
Registered
786 Posts
I have no clue about the ctsv seats but this sounds like an awesome project.

Can u tell me more about the caprice seats fitting? What years fit and what's needed to make them swap? Bolt out bolt in and plug n play? Or is there a lot more to it.

·
9C3 road warrior
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm checking with the user that has done the swap on the electrical connection, the seat rails are a direct bolt-up. So, 2011-12-13 Caprice will physically swap with 2008-09 G8 from that perspective. If you wanted, you could put the 8-way police seats into a G8, although the trim level would be a downgrade.

Here's the thread link where we've been talking about seating options...
http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=87

And, attached is a pic of the seat in my garage after some basic cleanup....

Attachments

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Serial data lines are probably for the heated and cooled seats and seat position data for air bag force. I'm sure a few others things. Just don't have the wiring In front of me. Basically any data that other systems need to see are done over the data lines. Awesome project and hope you get it all working! Keep us updated.

Sent from my fresh lubed iPhone

·
Registered
786 Posts
How's the comfort of the ctsv seat? My problem with the GT seats are I like that they are sporty but they are too firm and uncomfortable on long trips or seat time.

Ctsv might be the same unless the actual cushion is much softer than the GT seats?

Did u look into the comfort or swap ability of the first gen ctsv seats? Hat about other Cadillac car seats?

·
Administrator
4,924 Posts
I am also curious as to how well this will work. I love the look of the V seats. The G8 seats could really be better in terms of hugging your body and holding you in place in the corners.

It sounds like it wouldnt be a problem to just leave the low speed serial data port unplugged.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I love this idea! Subscribed to see how it goes

·
HeapBlaster
442 Posts
this would be nice... while the stock gxp seat is decent for cruising it isnt worth a damn around a turn...

·
Proud owner
1,196 Posts
In the process, can you weigh the stock seat and the CTS seat and post the weights? Good luck, it will look awesome.

·
9C3 road warrior
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the info. on the serial data line. Definitely know that there won't be any memory feature once it's installed, so I can ignore installing this one.

Electrical connectors are definitely different from the G8 to the Caprice and from the Caprice to the Recaro. I think my game plan right now is going to be ordering the mate to the Recaro connector (that would normally come from the CTS-V body harness), and ordering the Caprice seat harness connector (normally found on the seat itself) and wiring a plug-in interface adapter. This way I don't have to butcher any wiring and if I ever get tired of the Recaro I can fit my old seat back in without problem. FYI... there is some bad ju-ju about Recaro seat mounts over on the CTS-V forums, seems for some reason the mounts internal to the seat like to loosen up and can move as much as 4 inches - some people are now calling them "Roc-caro's"! Here's a linky from one of the Cadi forums.. http://www.cadillacforums.com/forum...acs-resolution-my-rocking-recaro-problem.html

It's going to be critically important to have the seat powered during install as the front-rear control on the seat is electric, not manual like on both the Caprice and the G8. Not being able to slide the rails would be bad, probably wouldn't be able to bolt the seat in at the rear.

The other thing I should figure out before the install are what inputs the seat is looking for on pins 2, 3, and 4 so I can do a long pigtail on these wires and bring them probably up through the center console. If I'm going to all the trouble to install this seat, I want the heating & cooling to work. Can you believe it's a $3,400 feature on the CTS-V to option Recaros when you order the car!

Eric

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Do the seats have air bags in them?.... Would be interested to see if you can get the air bag light not to illuminate if not connected... I have the light on constantly after I put in my seats.....

·
Registered
298 Posts
I'm thrilled to see this project being completed. Good luck!!!!

·
G8/LSX n00b
855 Posts
sweeet project

·
Registered
209 Posts
The seats are one of the things I don't like about the G8. Looking forward to see how this turns out. Good luck and keep us posted!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts