Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I finally got around to installing my IOM wheel and shifter courtesy of Wolfman1192.

As always I started by disconnecting the battery and removing the airbag fuse. Just need a flathead stubby screwdriver to remove the airbag. This is the hole in the back of the wheel that you'll utilize to release the airbag. Need to do it for both sides.

20180401_153638.jpg

This is what the airbag looks like when the one side releases.

20180401_153806.jpg

After you get both sides released this is what you'll see behind the airbag.

20180401_154510.jpg

These are the connectors undone.

20180401_155034.jpg

After you remove the torx bolt, remove the wheel, start removing the screws and CAREFULLY disassemble the trim and controls. Put back together, reinstall and enjoy.

20180401_164824.jpg

I've done this 4 times already and while it does get easier I'd still plan for 1.5-2 hours for a proper install.

·
every village has one
2,167 Posts
Just make sure you install the lower steering column trim piece BEFORE you put the new wheel on. You can do both, but the lower is a must or you’re gonna make for long day...

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The steering column trim removal is recommended but not necessary to get the wheel off. I've done all mine with the column trim on.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wow! nice look and something else I want to do to my IOM now as well.
Thanks. It definitely changes the feel of the interior. The shifter knob took maybe 5 minutes to do and was well worth it to match the leather on the steering wheel.

·
Registered
46 Posts
AWWWwwwww.... thanks a lot !!!! Something else I have to try and beg the wife to let me get!

I think she already hates me on this forum! hahahahaha

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are these readily available? source? and what price do they run?
thanks
I'm not sure how many are still available. I got mine through wolfman1192, he's got a lot of Holden parts for sale on here. Great seller to work with.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've got a couple of spare shifters and sport steering wheels that I'll be posting for sale soon if anyone is looking for some.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Which steering wheel did you have on before in the first pic, is it the GXP wheel and if so I you going to sell it?

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Which steering wheel did you have on before in the first pic, is it the GXP wheel and if so I you going to sell it?
That's the onyx version of the Holden wheel. I'm holding onto it as a spare. Wolfman1192 sells them on here. He's got a few threads for different Holden stuff. Great seller.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts