Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just an update - the car is SOLD. Someone found me from the board so I avoided Carmax altogether.

I have to get rid of my GXP and I'm wondering if anyone has had any luck selling to Carmax. I don't want to lose a bunch of money but I like the easy way out. Also, does anyone know if mods hurt the value? I have a Corsa cat-back and rotofab as far as they would know. It's also tuned but I doubt they would know that.

Thanks for any insight!

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I sold my old car to carmax. I think they gave me a fair deal on that particular car. I don't think carmax will resell a car that has aftermarket options. I know when I sold my last car, the sales guy told me that since it had aftermarket suspension work done that they wouldn't sell it on their lot and that it would be sold at auction. I don't know if that applies to all aftermarket options or just suspension. I think carmax is a good starting point to know what your car is worth in "the market." I think you'd get more for it selling it to someone looking for a GXP, but that takes time to find the right buyer.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
I wouldn't trust carmax to not rip me off. I would suggest selling it yourself.

·
That's ME!
4,021 Posts
I've heard good things about Carmax actually.

It's free and certainly won't hurt to check.

Also, I would recommend untuning the car so the next buyer doesn't have the hassle (ECU's are prolly locked) of trying to get a new tune put on if they want.

·
Registered
371 Posts
If you don't sell it privately I would recommend removing your mods. Chances are that doesn't change the price in your favor because it will narrow down their perspective buyers.

I think selling your after market parts (if u have stock ones to put it back to) or trading parts with someone would be a beneficial idea.

If you sold to a private party (or some dealers) I'm sure the mods could bump the price assuming the interested party wanted to go that direction.

Good luck

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
845 Posts
I work for a high end dealership. Our trade in appraisals are insulting compared to carmax.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. I appreciate the insight. I may take it in to Carmax sometime next week just to see what they say. Unfortunately, I don't have the stock exhaust anymore. I gave it away to someone on the board years ago!

I have to say, I'm really sad to see it go. I buy a new car about once a year and this by far as been my favorite. I guess that's why I've kept it nearly 4 years. I just picked up a new Fusion Titanium yesterday, and an Explorer 3 weeks ago. It's nice but just not the same. Maybe I will just keep it and park it around the block, away from the wife!

I'd rather find someone interested in the car that I knew that would take care of it.

Any ideas on a fair price? Is Kelly blue book accurate? It has 31000 miles in excellent condition.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Sold mine to carmax and was a fair deal. With those simple mods they will take it. They won't take it if cam is swapped and stuff like that.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I would see if any guys local to you would want to swap their stock exhaust plus cash for your corsa. You won't get anything more at trade in, but could easily get $5-600 for the swap.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Wow, if you sell to carmax please let me know. I have been thinking about selling my WH GT to get a WH GXP M6 Only reason I want the GXP is for the M6. I might be able to trade mine to Carmax for yours. I have read that they will ship them to other locations for buyers.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I will probably list it here near the end of the week. I have a major proposal due and just haven't had the time yet. Just doing my research first!

·
Registered
366 Posts
their extended warranty is one of the best around. They cover almost everything on their extended warranty
did some research on some forums

·
Registered
13 Posts
Wow, if you sell to carmax please let me know. I have been thinking about selling my WH GT to get a WH GXP M6 Only reason I want the GXP is for the M6. I might be able to trade mine to Carmax for yours. I have read that they will ship them to other locations for buyers.
Off thread tag for a fellow turbo Buick owner..........cool

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
About this Discussion
31 Replies
22 Participants
Slackslider
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing