Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
OGOC MEMBER
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed that when just starting out the transmission in these cars are noisy especially now with the colder temps. Less than 85,000klms on the car. Do they all make noise like this? My Wife's red one doesn't seem to be as noisy about the same amount of Klms, I haven't driven these G8's that much yet but I'm kinda concerned about these sounds in hearing.
Cheers
Eric

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Not sure what noise you are referring to, I do not hear anything on mine. I have 89,000 km's on mine.

·
OGOC MEMBER
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It sounds like a spray paint rattle can when cold. It seems to lessen as it warms up but I does go for a few Klms. My black one is much worse then the Wifes red one. I just figured that's the sound of these V6 engine/tranny combo's.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Mines quiet as a mouse at 151k but I did change the tranny fluid at 148k, no flush and I don't know whether my son put in a new filter or not....guess I should ask...from what I understand these newer tranny's don't shift into the higher gears until they reach a certain operating temp, once there they operate as normal, this is what you may be experiencing. There is probably a tranny person on here that will be able to clarify or improve on this.

·
OGOC MEMBER
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks BAS G8, I do have a full warranty on both cars, just wanted to see if the noises I'm hearing are normal. It certainly doesn't sound normal. The dash isn't lighting up anything. Its not a very quiet running engine or trans by any means thou. I may just take it in and have it checked out/ or drive it till I throws a code.
Thanks
Eric

·
OGOC MEMBER
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Had the car in the shop today, turns out the catalytic converter need replacing. Runs much quieter now.
Cheers
Eric

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
That's better news than hearing there were potential tranny problems, hopefully it was covered by the warranty. Be safe out there.

·
OGOC MEMBER
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It was covered I paid the $100. deductible, Great warranty!!! The roads are in ruff shape north of Caledon, getting bad now in Mississauga, 1hr 45 min home tonight that sucked. Hope everyone drives safe.
Cheers
Eric

·
Registered
161 Posts
124,000km, I do notice that mine likes to shift like a sledgehammer at first when it's cold, but that goes away after a few minutes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts