Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Lord of Brap
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just about to finalize the sale on my soon to be 2009 PBM GT only has 66,000km on it. They are offering a 4 year warranty (pretty sure she said bumper to bumper) for $2467. Is that worth it? Father in law and I have a hoist and manage to have pretty much fixed any thing we have come across. I am only driving the car in the summer maybe 15,000-20,000km a year tops. Is that worth it? I figured if engine or tranny goes just means time too update. Not going to mod it for at least a year. Any input would be very appreciated. Thank you in advanced.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Depends on how lucky you feel.
Personally I'd pass.
If you mod it in a year I don't know for sure but I'm pretty sure that would void most/all of the warranty. I'd clarify that first.
Like most you may never have the lifter problem and the tranny's in these cars are tanks, people are running high HP with no problems.
If you and father can handle it pass, you can do alot of work for that kinda money.
If nothing goes wrong your out $2467.
MY .02 cents for what its worth.
P.S.: If you do pass and something does go wrong, I never sent this....

·
I'd Rather Be Shifting
565 Posts
I've never bought those warranties and I don't plan on it. It's especially a waste of money if you plan on modifying -- even more so if you do the work yourself. Just think about what you could do with $2500 :)

·
Lord of Brap
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After haggling got it down to $1867 4 year powertrain warranty. Said you can do Mods and if I blow the engine racing they replace it.

·
Registered
588 Posts
After haggling got it down to $1867 4 year powertrain warranty. Said you can do Mods and if I blow the engine racing they replace it.
Get this in writing.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Get this in writing.
That would be great {IF} and I say if they aren't blowing smoke up your you know what. I bought mine in May of 2015 with a extended warranty But they gave me a low interest rate as a bribe I guess. That's the only reason I went with the warranty. I've already voided it when I got it tuned and the mods didn't help either. A couple of friends work at dealers and they tell me that some people use the hell out of those extended warranty's. I just hope that you won't need it!! And enjoy your G8 I know I really love mine..

S.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I got a warranty with mine 2yr/24k for a similar price. I don't plan on heavily modifying the car so that was the reason I chose to get it. Plus, if something goes wrong, you can take to any ASE certified shop to get it fixed and they work with your warranty company. IMO if you're financing for a certain time period, it's worth it. Especially considering some of the collapsed lifter stories that comes with these cars.

I was thinking if my cam does eat itself, I'd have a performance shop do the work and put a bigger cam in it and have the warranty cover it but that's wishful thinking :p

·
Registered
892 Posts
If you can get it in writing that mods and racing are covered then it could be a good deal.

·
Registered
892 Posts
And then promptly try to use that warranty, lol
I can promise you that if I had a warranty that covered racing and mods that they'd be sorry with how many times I'd use it. I'd be at the track as often as possible flogging the car knowing I could get a new motor or trans with no worries.

·
Registered
733 Posts
We all know the trans will last. So it's on the lifter side. I don't know what percent have actually had the issue. That's what I would use. If the odds are on the fail side get Warranty if not save your money. If you want a lower rate talk to a bank in bet they at least match it. You can negotiate interest just like the sales cost. It sucks you still have to play that game these days.

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
Best of luck getting things finalized and hope she treats you well.

If you do get it. There is a meet Sunday July the 10th in the Niagara region of canada. There is a thread on it here on the g8board if interested. Supposed to be 34 or so going.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I did and now I wish I hadnt... LOL

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I would pass on it, as for mods there is no way they will cover it.Lifter tick happens but for most people it doesn't.

·
I'd Rather Be Shifting
565 Posts
I would pass on it, as for mods there is no way they will cover it.Lifter tick happens but for most people it doesn't.
And it's nothing that a long weekend and less than $1000 couldn't take care of -- plus you get more power :D

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
My daughter brought a 2012 Cruz yesterday from Applewood Chev, I tried to talk her into my G8 Base so I could grab a GT....no luck....
She was offered a 2 year extended warranty for $1948 and that was with my sons family and friends discount.
We politely turned it down.
If your getting 4 years for $1867 compared to what we were offered actually not a bad deal.
Just over a dollar a day over 4 years if you want piece of mind.
Again I would pass but food for thought.

·
Lord of Brap
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Picked up the car Thursday night!! Wasn't too happy about the warranty thing, but the way I have been driving it. (doesn't help when back seat people keep asking how fast is this car?) It might be worth it... I was going to post pictures but I live on a stone/dirt road and it rained yesterday so that's going to have to wait. I am looking forward to coming to the meet next week. I think I talked my cousin into coming he has a Grandprix! Now where do I sign up?

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Congrats....
Look in the Canada section: 3rd Annual Niagara Meet & Cruise posted by MrAngryGTP.
See you next weekend.
Drive safe

·
Registered
1 Posts
Picked up the car Thursday night!! Wasn't too happy about the warranty thing, but the way I have been driving it. (doesn't help when back seat people keep asking how fast is this car?) It might be worth it... I was going to post pictures but I live on a stone/dirt road and it rained yesterday so that's going to have to wait. I am looking forward to coming to the meet next week. I think I talked my cousin into coming he has a Grandprix! Now where do I sign up?
Like someone else suggested, try to use it as soon as possible. We had a home warranty that was purchased for us by the seller. We tried to use it a couple of months after the purchase and found out the company was garbage. After a few phone calls, we had the full refund in cash.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I got a 3 yr unlimited mile warranty when I bought mine in February but it's through Chrysler. It's a nice to have that piece of mind and also it gives me a reason to save money for future massive mods in 3 years.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
About this Discussion
24 Replies
16 Participants
thirteenthcor
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing