Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if there is something that could be done to help prevent me / us from dealing with the dreaded lifter tick issue we get ? Nothing like preventive maintenance .

·
Premium Member
4,838 Posts
Sure. Buy a GXP.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Welcome to the Ls family! haha, i hear ya tho i cant stand it. every LS series motor i have herd still have the lifter tick in some way!!

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
[ Sure. Buy a GXP. QUOTE]

Lol . Wish I could .
Mine sounds fine, now . Lol. Hope it stays that way (hard knock on wood ) .

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to the Ls family! haha, i hear ya tho i cant stand it. every LS series motor i have herd still have the lifter tick in some way!! /QUOTE]

Ha . Yea I figure its gonna happen eventually. Thought there just might be a way to prevent it . What causes it ?

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
I believe you should be changing the oil w/ full synthetic every 5-7,000 miles and no longer, regardless of what the OLM says. That, and making a concerted effort to allow the car to warm up, more so on cold days, is key to the longevity of the lifters/valves in this engine.

I have 106,000 miles on my car and live in MA w/ very cold winters, I drive a good mix of highway and city, I pretty much have no lifter tick (once in a blue moon very faint) and no signs of any issues. I sometimes have 60% life on the oil when I change it, but these engines require 9 quarts...something tells me they like gobs of fresh oil on a regular basis.

Some people may argue differently...but how many have this mileage?

On the other hand some lifer tick seems inherent w/ these motors on cold starts (hence the importance of letting it idle and warm up gradually whenever possible - it's a big motor it takes a minute for it to get fully lubed and warm) - my LS1 GTO, my 5.3 Silverado w/ AFM, and my G8 GT ALL have some form of small tick, none have ever failed, all have reached high mileage.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bostonf4$, that's what I've been doing so far and if it helps ,good,I'll keep up with it .

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Haven't heard much about preventing it, but there is a TSB to fix it if you're still under warranty

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
133 Posts
Mine has the cold tick, but as of now *knocking on wood* that's it.. Typically when she's been sitting for a good while and it's cold out. I've asked my local dealership about it, but they answered too quick to have actually looked up the TSB. I'm gonna have to call back and ask for the Tech I dealt with last oil change.. He seemed quite knowledgable.

·
Administrator
4,922 Posts
The general LS lifter tick and the L76 lifter tick upon failure of the DOD lifter(s) are two different things. Yes most LS engines make some ticking sounds that is normal but the "dreaded" lifter tick is much more serious.

·
Registered
679 Posts
It's the AFM lifters leaking down. It is intermittent because it only happens when an AFM lifter stays pushed-up by the cam when you turn it off and that lifter has time to leak down. When you start-up the next time, the lifter stays "collapsed" so the cam "smacks" against it making the ticking noise. Once the oil pressure builds back-up into the lifter, it expands and then rides on the cam again like it's supposed to. The redesigned lifters don't allow this leak down to happen.

·
LSX Mechanic
240 Posts
This mainly happens on the DOD cars.

One way to keep lifters (and much more components) alive is to run a Zinc additive. Since they took the Zinc out of the oils it's causing things to wear MUCH faster now. It's amazing how engines look now compared to 10 years ago when I was tearing them down.

This is what I use and recommend:

http://www.lucasoil.com/products/display_products.sd?iid=82&catid=9&loc=show

I buy mine from Advance Auto parts. It's recommend not to use this stuff with stock cats. High flow cats or no cats at all is fine.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
So theoretically disabling the DOD feature of the engine may actually increase its longevity?

·
LSX Mechanic
240 Posts
So theoretically disabling the DOD feature of the engine may actually increase its longevity?
Definitely not. The DOD system fails quite often. Most of the time it's just a lifter failure that is fixable, but in rare occasions I have seen some complete engine failures due to a DOD lifter coming apart and falling down into the rotating assembly. :eek:

The entire displacement on demand idea is a copy of German technology which even it isn't that good, and GM's version is worse. Most G8 GT's I come across have noisey lifters.

But hey, look at it on the bright side. At least all of your cars are holding their value well. :D

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Good stuff guys . Thanks for all the info. I saw the one reply saying to use a zinc additive and was hoping for a seconded reply on that and if it will help.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
whether it is active or not the hardware is still there, and the hardware's "limitations" cause it... that and the nature of todays lubricatants.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
The problem is the inferior, failure prone Eaton lifters. The Delphi lifters that GM replaces them with do not suffer the same failures. The Eaton roller wheels chip and spall. That causes the ticking and if left long enough takes the cam with it. It is metal fatigue, not a lubrication problem.

·
Mack
1,000 Posts
Got mine done just inside the warranty. Though my ticking wasn't too bad, I was lucky to get my GMC dealer to do it with no problems. Even though all were replaced and other goodies as well I still hear a slight tick on cold starts so I'll take the advice and let her warm up a bit more when I can on colder days. I was also curious if most here were using synthetic oil as well. I'm going to research some existing threads on that and see where it goes. Anyways, great post OP and responses!!!

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
[quote great post OP and responses!!! ][/quote]

THANKS!
Thanks for the info. Gtdrew. That sucks .

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.